Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
They dont seem to sell the barbed wire one tho which is a little frustrating! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok I made the first segmented hoop...... I made an uber big mistake though. I cut it into 5 sections. When you try to collapse it down, because its an odd number, it has one bit sticking out. Buggerations! ubblol

I've run out of hoop for now so I'll have to get some more before segmented hoop 2 hits production.

I'm going to go for 4 sections this time because the less connections you have in it the stronger it is. I think a 6 section hoop would just be annoyingly hard to keep in a nice circle shape.

Ah well you live and learn biggrin

[edit]

p.s. Vix were you planning on covering a hoop in that tape? If so get a small amount first to test. If its not stretchy in any way it won't lay very flat on the hoop and you may end up with puckering. ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1133898458)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
i wasnt really planning on buying it for hooping... just thought id share it with you lovely people! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Skully B&Q for Bungee ubblove

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oh ok Vix, sorry my heads a bit obsessed with hoops at the moment.

Thanks for the tip Ros. I have bungee for now. I got 10m from a nice man in Grimsby for 85p a metre and he told me if I ordered over 100m he'd give me a 25% discount on that price ubblol

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Kali has some collapsible hoops, she seemed to be having some problems keeping them stable after awhile tho, ast least one of them... she just taped the section together tho. They were very pretty! I'm sure Ros knows a bit about them>? I cna't remmeber too much....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Taping each join before you used it would be ok, I think – I mean, it would be ideal if the bungee was strong enough to hold it without needing tape, but a little bit of tape wouldn’t be the end of the world. It wouldn’t be quite as quick and easy, but it wouldn’t be a huge problem, especially if you were planning on using it for a few hours.

I’ve found a guy who sells translucent silicone tubing – he’s sending me a sample so I can see if it would be good for making a clear hoop that I could put a chain of glowsticks inside. Not quite as pretty as a psi hoop but much, much cheaper! I’ll let you know if the tubing’s any good – he charges the same postage for 1 metre as 30 so if anyone near me wants any we could share an order.

to live at all is miracle enough

150 posts

Posted:
Sadly the silicone tubing was too floppy for hoop making - it was a shame as it was lovely and clear - the glow sticks shone through perfectly. Never mind, I'll keep looking for something better!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok Miranda, pipe has been purchased and although it hasn't made it to my house yet its only round the corner at my sisters. I'll have made the hoop by the weekend and I'll test it to check it doesn't fall apart when used.

I think the cost is going to be around the £16 - £20 mark. I have to calculate the amount of bungee/connectors and tape and stuff to give you a final price. Is that going to be ok?

150 posts

Posted:
Perfect! I'll Paypal you as soon as you have a final figure. So excited - millions of hugs and thanks. Squee!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Well the Hoop is made and decorated in pink and orange. Now all I need to do is make sure when spinning it stays together. I'm sure it will. I'm waiting on Hannah testing it for me though.

150 posts

Posted:
Yay! Very excited! Just let me know when the test run's done and I'll Paypal you. Thanks, chick - you are a star!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
so, does this mean there may be the slightest chance Hyperloop Hoops will be back in operation??

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Maybe hun, maybe. Not right now though. I have no enegry to do it with ubblol

Gayle you are a fantabulous lady and I ubblove you loads. I'm soooooooooo glad the world has you in it hug2

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
So do I. Otherwise i'd be dead frown ubblol

Well, when you're back to full Skully health (if there is such a thing??), then i'll be here to help you....

hug

Gayle.....!

150 posts

Posted:
How’s the hoop testing coming along, Skully? There’s no hurry at all, I just wondered how it was going. Hoopy fun, yay!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I made a new toy biggrin

Non-Https Image Link

STAR HOOP
biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
ubblol Cool Star! If you could make the points out of metal you could fix wick to each point.

Miranda the Hoop is made and tested. I'm having to re-enforce the tape where it meets at the connections but I think its pretty much done. I'll let you know in a couple of days.

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
i was thinking about metal points and fire but its quite heavy already (about as heavy as the 32mm taped hoops) so i will have to find something quite light to make it from.
It was insanely difficult to make! the piping seems to have a mind of its own!

150 posts

Posted:
Star - that is so cool! Does it spin well? The fire would be very, very exciting...

Skully - yay! Just let me know when you'd like me to fling some money your way. Thank you so much for doing this for me - I'm so grateful and excited!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm sure as heck not going to start another 'music' thread... but I just thought I needed to shout out that the "Breaks" station of www.di.fm is EXACTLY the perfect BPM for hooping. Some of the New York Hoop Gods hoop to breaks and I totally see why.

Listening to it now and all I wanna do is hoop.

hug to you all

*Wiggle*Wiggle*Wiggle*Wiggle*

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Your hoop is ready and waiting mr NYC... well, you can borrow the very pink Talula anyway smile kiss

Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Written by: Miranda (mewcat)

Star - that is so cool! Does it spin well? The fire would be very, very exciting...

Its very similar to hooping with the thicker hoops that skully makes although there is slightly more air resistance so a teeny bit more effort is needed to get it going. I want to hoop more but its way to cold and hooping in lots of clothes is just not fun!

150 posts

Posted:
Written by: .:star:.

I want to hoop more but its way to cold and hooping in lots of clothes is just not fun!

Too true. Bring on Thailand next month! Squee!

Skully - you're probably not reading this over Christmas, but just on the off-chance... how big a bag will the travel hoop need to fit into? I'm probably going to a yoga day this week where there will be yoga bags for sale - I thought that would probably be the ideal shape. I can always make one if it's too long, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what they had there. Thanks, hon! Hope you had a lovely Christmas.

X

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Miranda :- The sections are about 90cm around the curve. It is complete and ready to go to the post office to see what postage will be. The Hoop itself is £20. I tried to keep costs down but it just took so much time to make. I hope the price is ok. It's heavier than the normal hoops due to the bungee cord, so I'm guessing postage will be around the £5.50 mark but I'm not sure. Should I just go ahead and post it when I take it in or would you prefer I tell you the price before I do to be sure you are happy to pay the postage cost?

I think the post office is open again from tomorrow. In theory it could be with you before the end of December. In reality though, what with the holidays and the snail mail being what it is, I'd guess its more likely to be the begining of January.

150 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! Yay! £20 seems more than fair given how much work you've put in - i'm so grateful to you for doing it for me. I'm happy to pay whatever the postage is (I'm assuming it's going to be less than the price of the hoop, anyway!), so just post it when you get a chance to go in. Would you like me to Paypal you the £20 for the hoop itself before you post it, or is it easier if I pay you all in one go? I don't know if you'll get charged more by Paypal if I pay you in two goes - their charges seem a bit random... just let me know - whichever is fine with me. Thanks again - yay!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'll find out postage and you can do it all in one go. hug

150 posts

Posted:
Fab. Thanks - just let me know and I'll sort it out. You are such a star - thanks so much again.
X

150 posts

Posted:
Good videos here - https://hooping.tribe.net/thread/e35d978c-0bab-40a6-a66b-37fd9189eacb

I'm not actually crazy about the whole "names for tricks" thing, but the videos are very helpful. I spend half my time being utterly confused by poi terminology, without needing to have the same thing with my hoop...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
hey all i just made this hoop video to help some people over at tribe.net with some tricks.
So i thought i would put a link here for all the hopper hoopers to have a look too.

Its a little bit sloppy cos i was tired from work but i hope you all like it.

https://users.cyberone.com.au/schoflds/hooping/hooping1.wmv

biggrin biggrin biggrin
jane

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Page: ......