Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hiya,
I've recently started to dabble in the taking of funky fire fotos, I also spend a hell of a lot of time behind photoshop and well yeah it is very easy to spice them up a little. Mind you how far do you go. The photos in my own gallery are all unmolested barr one, (and then I only took out a few annoying lights from the backround.) But with a few simple clickedy-click-clicks you've got some very cool coloured flames. It is done lots..... certainly for some of the gallerys. Is it right? Can they be vamped up without pangs of guilt, or should we leave them in there true from just for what they are, cause they look pretty damn cool anyway.

Anyone else thinking 'bout it?
Nufsaid,
T.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I'm old fashioned when it comes to this, I reckon the photo should properly reflect how talented the firestaffer and the photographer are, that way everyone is on a level playing field on the quality of their photos in comparison to each other.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
In my opinion, a 'photo' is an unedited exposure to light, it's real.. if you start playing about with it it becomes a 'picture'.. there's nothing wrong with that as long as everyone knows what they're looking at..

I think C@ntus' photo in the gallery is a good example of this.. for a photo this is pretty unique, but I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to make a similar image in paintshop..

Tom

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
imo there's nothing wrong with changing the picture if it is art but there is if it's supposed to be a documentation of a specific event.

the only difficulty with that is defining art.

wherever you go, there you are.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I agree with pyrophile on this, any editing made to a photo sort of detracts from it.
I think that if a photo is set up properly and planned, then it should be down to the skill of the photographer and subjects how well it turns out.
If the photo is taken as an impromptu spur of the moment thing to capture a memory of something, then why would it need editing?

Of course, this might have something to do with the fact that I can frame a photo much better than I can edit one on a computer

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Obviously, changing the brightness and contrast and stuff is fine because things appear differently on paper than they do on the screen.

If you want to edit out some lights in the background, that's a little more, but probably OK.

After that, I feel like you should at least put an "edited in PhotoShop" disclaimer on the photo.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I for one have a third nipple and need it airbrushed out at every ocurrance.
oh dear my shameful secret is out.
/panic sweats

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey somebody mentioned my name.

My dad took that photo (and he barely understands how to make the camera work, let alone anything else).

Meh

Stellamember
63 posts

Posted:
hee hee hee, third nipple, hoo hoo. Sorry i mean i understand completely, feel no shame. Actually my mom has one but im very glad i've never seen it, she's only ever told me about it.Its a very nice photo c@ntus

rocketfire_tothemoon@hotmail.com CARPE DIEM seize the day and you will never regret your actions

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Bender has scary-ass cats eyes too. that boy is just born for the freak show.

Meh

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
keep it simple i say keep it original dont change the photos

¿

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
..but taimat? what are you ttrying to say??

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always