Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
ahaaa, that's such a good point, I've been wondering how to get over the problem of bolts digging into me so I've been putting off making the hoop.

How do you cover it? Do you use glue? sorry for all the questions!

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
well my hoop is nearly finished. i just have to wrap with leather strips.
it has six spokes now.

i really made it quite simply.
i used poly pipe, so hope this doesn't melt or warp too much?

i drilled 12 holes evenly spaced around the hoop, but have only used six of them.

my wick is on a thin piece of wire and i have threaded this through the hole and coiled and twisted it so it stays secure. was very easy. no ridge digging into you. i even filed the hoop just the slightest where the wire wraps round so it sits almost flush with the hoop.

cant wait to light it up biggrin

TinyPixieSILVER Member
enthusiast
394 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Amber

i even filed the hoop just the slightest where the wire wraps round so it sits almost flush with the hoop.

Such a great idea! Right, I'm going to get on with this!
*looks around for screwdriver*

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Blueberry

Yeah rouge that is a good suggestion. I don't have my hoop covered and i don't really notice the bolts on the inside, i think i'm just use to them. But every one else that has had a go of it said that they really hurt.

actually, i was more thinking that when the metal heats up, if your shirt decides to ride up a bit as you're hooping (cos, well, thats pretty normal) you get burnt! eek

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
hummmm. that is strange i have been hooping with that hoop for about 2.5 years and my new one for about half a year and i have never found the spines getting hot more than about 2-3 cm down from the wick. I think it just does not have enought heat/ time to heat all of the way down the rod. It would probably heat up if i used it for 30-60 min straight but that would probably be the case with most fire toys.

The only bit that can some times hurt if the hoop is not coverd is the little bumps where the bolts end. Those only really hurt when your knee hooping though.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
hehe
our fire hoops have 12 spokes

but maybe they are smaller than what you are thinking

they work good smile

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
The pixie tells no lies. wink

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
can someone plz link me up with a source (preferably aussie) of detachable fire hoops? there's not alot of choice on the interwebs and hopefully someone on this thread can help out. thanks muchly!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo sounds cool.
maybe we should share photos ,
i'm interested to see other designs.

One thing to be carefull of when fire hooping on your hand is getting your finger stuck between the spoke and the hoop while it is moving backwards. I have done that twice now and that almost broke my finger.
ouch

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
Hoops always appeared to me as the most unsafe (besides eating) form of fire dancing, is this necessarily true?

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Nah I don't think that is true. I have hurt my self/had accidents many more times using my poi and staff than i have with my hoop.
But just like any of the "fire arts" Good quality/safe equipment is essential.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
no, I can't see how it's any more dangerous than anything else.

for example, poi can tangle, but i'm curious as to how you could tangle yourself in a hoop!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Masked52member
83 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

no, I can't see how it's any more dangerous than anything else.

for example, poi can tangle, but i'm curious as to how you could tangle yourself in a hoop!

It's probably the whole mentality of the fire hitting your body or when you grab it you have to grab carefully between the spokes or you'll get burnt (or so it looks). I guess that's probably why it seems to me the most dangerous. But I'd love to try it if I could hula-hoop to save my life, but I've never really been able to... frown

Fire eaters are the most conceited people. Especially when they're on fire. "Help me, save me, put me out, me, me, me..."

-Paolo the Fire Eater

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Although in reality it is impossible to compare which is more dangerous than the other because there is so many variables.
But I feel that when you are hooping on your body there is a significantly low chance of the flame hitting you. Because of the design of the hoop when hooping around your body the flame cannot get closer to you than the distance of the spoke.

Also as far as grabbing the hoop carefully, most of the time you will "lift" the hoop by grabbing the hoop on the inside so this isn’t really a problem. For a few tricks like throwing the hoop around your body, you may need to be careful of the timing but not more so than you would need to pivot on the spot with poi.

I feel that it is no less or more dangerous than other mediums. It just had different variables that you need to be aware of.

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I ordered a hoop on a whim the other day, so I'll be joining the rest of you HOP hoopers soon! I can't wait! I just hope I can "keep it up"!

Gosh my spinny "toy box" just keeps growing!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I've just bought my first hoop!

Having fun!

just trying to find more tricks on websites now! (easy ones though!)

I could do with some help actually, I can hoop for a fair amount of time but then my hoop starts going diagonal and if I try and straighten it up, it just makes it worse. I'm hooping with one foot slightly in front of the other in a forwards and backwards motion. Any advice?

Thanks! biggrin
EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1182353134)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Try keeping your legs together and instead of a forward/backward motion, imagine you have a weighted bit of string hanging down between your legs that you are trying to get to swing in a small circle. Move from the waist rather than the hips.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
haha skully that is a great way to describe it. Also a lot of people underestimate how much you have to move to keep the hoop going in the beginning.

Move as much as you can, and as you get better you body will work out what it doesn’t have to do to actually keep the hoop going. It sort of fine tunes the action.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Whoot i just learnt how to do a sholder duck out. Yay!!! i have been trying that trick for ages. Sorry just had to tell somebody.!!!

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
OK! I just got my hoop in the mail yesterday. I had the best time playing with it. For the first time in my life I was able to keep a hoop up around my waist, and am starting to be able to keep it around my hips too.

Question on hip hooping: is it normal to need to kind of squat a little bit to do it, or am I working on a bad habit? It seems to work better if I bend my knees and sort of stick my butt out a bit. But I imagine that that must just look wrong *grin*.

I was SO stiff this morning, and I can feel a little bruising under my rib,but I still can't wait to get home after work and hit the hoop again. It looks like my staff and poi will be gathering some dust this month! Oh, yes. This is the beginning of a beautiful new obsession!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
m: squatting seems to be a common reflex when it feels like it's going to fall...but it is a habit you should avoid developing as it isn't necessary and will limit your range of motion with the hoop in the long run if you come to depend on it. If you want to really work it as part of choreography, or your stylized version of it, that's great, but you should be able to have the choice of squat or no squat, rather than only being able to do it one way. The way you describe also would make it harder to walk and turn with the hoop in that position, which is a fairly simple maneuver that looks really nice, imo.

Pay attention to where the contact points are, and focus on pushing from those.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah the bending over or squat action is quite common in begginers. It will beok for a little bit but as you start to want to move the hoop up your body it will makethings dificlt.

Some times i find if i get people to really focus on standing up straighting when they are learning it ends up working better any way.

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Thanks, khan and Blueberry. After more practice, that's pretty much the answer I was expecting. Like I said it seemed to work, but didn't strike me as looking too great. It's bad habit that I will endeavor to avoid. And yes, after practicing walking and circles adn spinning around (wheee!) yesterday I absolutely could not move when i was in a slightly squatted position. It was like everything above and below my hips was locking up.

Thanks!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Always remember to warm up before hooping. Just like poi, staff, juggling etc it's going to hurt more afterwards if you haven't warmed up your muscles first. When you have finished, do a few cool down stretches as well. That should help.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Oh, sorry. I didn't write that particularly clearly. I meant I couldn't move around while attempting to hoop improperly.

Surprisingly, I actually haven't had any sore muscle/pain problems with the hooping. I'm starting to get slight tummy-bruising feelings, so I'm going to go see a movie tonight and not spin frown. I can FEEL the muscles that aren't used to being worked, but there's nowhere near the amount of pain/discomfort that I was expecting/afraid of.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I know how you can tangle yourself in a hoop! add more toys, i've been given a challenge to learn at PLaY lol...

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
This may be a very, very odd request but:

Can those of you who live in Australia click here and tell me if the number you get starts with either 58, 59, 60 or 61 please?

There is a reason. Its only known to me, but would be very, very helpful if you could just do it. Please say if it DOES start with either of those numbers. Thanks! hug2 kiss

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
If you need Australian IP blocks, sites like this can be helpful:

https://kioss.com/kioss/petanegara.php?fu...;hirachy=ipname

However, it makes me think that you are up to something nefarious and possibly off-topic.. like maybe trying to keep all non-aussies out of your uber-secretive Hoop skillz page. for shame :P.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Not nefarious, not off topic either tongue

Just had to ban asia and the pacific ring from a forum to stop spammers, and just wanted to guage how many HOPpers it might affect shrug

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: ......