Page: ...
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Mand: I didn't realize you were in Calgary now. Have you hooped out & about? Have you met Geoffrey? He's an awesome hooper & a sweetheart.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Khan, no need to be envious. I'm sure you are much better than me at many other moves... we all have our own things we are good or bad at. It's all about the fun and fulfilment we each get. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Khan- Geoffrey? I'm not sure.
The poi crowd and the hooping crowd seems to be quite seperate up here, and I only really got to meet a lot of the Calgary hoopers for the first time on Saturday. (And learned some awesome new moves!).

There was one hooper who I remember from the night time, that the name Geoffrey kind of rings a bell for. Skinny guy, dark hair, gay, was doing some beautiful isolations with a very tiny hoop.
Seem familiar at all?

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Skully ~ thanks for the reassurance. It's just that leg hooping seems so basic and I've been working on it for so long -- much longer than anything else I know. But you are right, I know that deep in my heart. hug

Mand ~ the hooper you describe certainly does sound like Geoffrey...or his boyfriend Kyle! But Geoffrey's hoops are particularly small, it could very well have been him.

I know what you mean too about the poi crowd and hooping crowd being separate. It's the same here in San Francisco, with the only cross-over being the people who firehoop. The hoopers that don't firehoop don't really interact with people who play with other toys much at all. I think that's how it is throughout the hooping world at large.

~ ani di franco

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
If it was him, I gifted him a set of horns that matched his outfit. He was a cutie.

Originally Posted By: _khan_I know what you mean too about the poi crowd and hooping crowd being separate. It's the same here in San Francisco, with the only cross-over being the people who firehoop. The hoopers that don't firehoop don't really interact with people who play with other toys much at all. I think that's how it is throughout the hooping world at large.

It's a shame, considering that we all do basically the same sort of thing. Up here we're quite often all together at parties and things, but we all do our own thing, and the day after everyone is too strung out/ hungover/ tired to get together to teach or learn stuff.
At the workshop this weekend I think we all got more of a feel for each other, and I'm pretty sure everyone there learned a hell of a lot of new stuff. Hopefully it won't completely die over the winter, and come spring we'll be able to do more to combine the poi and hooping communtity.

Maybe a visit from a certain SF hooper might help a bit? wink

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Some hoopers came to one of our fire meetups like...twice. They had a fire hoop one time. you're right they sort of stuck to their own.

One of our group members got into hooping and so I practice whenever we're together, and I'll probably be doing it too. I'm kind of into belly dancing so All the shimmying and stuff is perfectly up my alley.

Hoops and staffs take up so much room but I loves them so.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I had totaly the best hooping weekend ever!!!

I almost have my four hoop box split solid now. Well i'm at least not falling over any more. The only problem seems to be that i can't quite work out which direction each of the hoops should be going?? Hmmmm...... oh also stopping has also proven its self kind of difficult so far.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...
It looks like tribe.net may have finally kicked the bucket. There are rumors over on hooping.org that they may be bringing back their old forums witch would be great. Does any one know of any other Hooping forums for in the mean time??

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
We have a forum on our site www.hyperloophoop.com, feel free to come and join us.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Radness i'll check it out.
I'm having tribe withdrawals aaaarrrg.

on another shameless self promoting note I'm gonna be performing hoops (eeep so nervous) at a rad cancer benefit music festival this weekend in Canberra australia if any one is in the area.
check here for more details: [Old link]

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
Hello to all the Hoop Hoppers, wanted to share my news that after two weeks of trying to hoop I finally can keep it spinning round my waiste tongue2 YAY.

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
tribe is back! they have partnered with a tech company that will be maintaining the servers/software and adding some more functions in the future. it's already much more stable. hope it will last...

~ ani di franco

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
have made my first set of hoops couldnt get my hands on any shinny tape yet so used sparkly contact has any one any other suggestions?? or where there are pretty, cheap tapes available in melb?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
wow laura.. youre posting on HoP! its been a long time..

welcome back hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah it is pretty hard to get sparkly tape in Australia that does not cost a lot of money. I just tend to stick to cutting up contact as annoying as that is.

Though some times i have been lucky to find foil tapes in some of the asian variety type stores so they are worth a look when ever you are passing them.

I have also had problems trying to find a store that sells real gaffers tape (like pro gaff) not the crappy cheep type if any one has some tips on where to get it i would love to know.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
lol ok cool so im not the only on sitting there cutting up little pieces of contact.

I also found that they really dont stick well if used on electrical tape i made my hoop then the next day found they had all come off but they seemed to stick fine if they went straight on the actual hoop.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yup i had the same problem you really need to put the sparkley stuff first or put one spiral of electrical tape over the top.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
check this site for more holotape than you can poke a stick at, and at good prices.

https://www.identi-tape.com/

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah i have tryed that site but unfortunatly it cost way way to much to get it posted here. I set up an order and it was going to cost me about twice the price of the tape and now with the exchange rate it would be really bad. frown

I really wish it was better cos their tapes are very cool.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
OMG Did everybody know HOP sells hoop tape??? I just discovered it finally i can have pink shiny tape!!!!!!

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
Ok so i think i didnt look at it properly this tape is green not pink - never mind will stick to contact paper hoops. I made myself a rainbow hoop last night - but contact proves to be tricky to get it on without it rippling confused

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Have you checked the other colours? I'm not sure if there is pink but there is a choice of a few colours if you open up the product details screen.

As far as applying the contact goes i have found that it is best to cut it in to strips about 1 1/2 or 2 cm wide. Also try and keep your strips shorter that way you have more chances to reposition your spiral to account for the contact not being really stretchy, i keep mine to about 1m.

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
their high reflectivity tape is intriguing.

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
It tis, I think might need to really invest but this contact paper is driving me insane.

LiraBRONZE Member
chasing the wind
16 posts

Posted:
-pokes head in curiously- I'm interested in learning to hoop. More than just the standard around-the-hips/waist hooping, anyway. And a lot of you are amazing.

Um. That's all, really. When I go home for winter break, I'll dig my old hoop out of my garage and have a go or two, and maybe return with "...why isn't this working?" questions. smile

<3 wind

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
helloz,

havnt really picked up my hoop lately have been on holidays but im looking forward to gettin back into the swing of things

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
I got a hoop for christmas and now I am a hooping MACHINE!!!!!....when I get to cambcircus cos I have no room anywhere else frown

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I'm looking forward to getting back into it after the holidays. My hooping space in our apartment got taken over by the christmas tree.

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
Hey guys don't know if you'll have seen this but go looksee!!!! https://www.ukhoopgathering.com/#/ukhgweekender/4532644431
I'm really excited about this grin

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
awww that looks like so much fun - why dont they do fun workshops like that here in melb MMM????

Page: ...