Page: ...
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo i like that one Bender. *adds to cache of witty come backs* Usually i say some thing like I'm going to use it to open a portal to another dimension.

InterSpin, I have only used the aluminum hoops a few times but yes they are quite nice to separate and they are actually heavier than the my regular ones.

Though so far i think the benefits of a really good set of pipe ones out way the benefits of the aluminum ones.They are really heavy and hurt a lot when they hit you and they are a lot harder to transport because they don't bend at all which would make them difficult to get in and out of cars and that sort of thing. Also one of the down sides is that if one takes a bad knock or gets bent it is pretty impossible to fix them. But yes those things aside they are nice to hoop with.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

InnerSpinNothing is solid, its all spinning :-)
11 posts

Posted:
I'm so excited because I've just made my first ever Led hoops. I brought a kit from the states from ProdMod. I brought the basic kit with a upgrade to a rechargeable kit and choose 21 LED's that were different from the kit. I had already brought the natural/translucent tubing elsewhere. The kit and upgrade cost me £54 delivered to the Uk, it arrived within a week of ordering. It just so happened that there was enough in the package to make two hoops, I had to buy more wire and another swith (this cost me £2.90 The tubing for the hoops was less than £15 so the hoops cost me less than £75 to make. It was a great experience and a very positive one. The hoops are too big and too heavy for me (my psi's will never be replaced) but it does mean that when I play with my babies I can give other people toys to play with now. I wholly recommend this kit :-)

Dance as though no one is watching :-)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the recommendation Sharna

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Skully, I tried to join your forum, but it wouldnt let me frown

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey josh, let's start a hooping boy band.
i can be the one who doesn't sing.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pyrolific, we have had some problems after an upgrade. I think Jon fixed it last night. If you try again and it doesn't work send us a message through the contact page on the site and let us know what happens.

Bender can Jon join?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
can i be the choreographer?! or song writer, i dont mind, I'm currently working on a rap about limescale, it's got a West coast hip hop feel to it. heh.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Would that be the limescale on the kettle used to make that post hooping cup of tea?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I'll be choreographer! I'm sure i can produce one hell of a cheesy hoop routine for the boys! laugh3

Gayle.....!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
A hoop boy band has been a long-held dream of mine. I fear I'm too old and not pretty enough though. Perhaps I can be the impresario behind the music, or perhaps I should say behind the hooping, like that creepy guy behind Backstreet Boys and nsync, only less creepy.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pffft Khan, you're gorgeous. Get up there and wiggle your stuff!

HoopernovaBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
You know, I really don't know how I managed to miss this post for so long. But...

I have noticed there's a lot of question on this site about tricks. There are a lot of videos on youtube that can help with this, but I would like to personally offer to take requests for making videos about specific tricks anyone may be wondering about or having a lot of trouble with.
Maybe even submit some videos to the library here? For easy reference? tongue2

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
LOL! Khan ...were all too old! that's what makes it fun! smile

hehe.

Bender, I think CG needs a boyz only hoop workshop so we can figure out some hoop stuff without all the girls laughing at us.

I think Brett would be interested.

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
does anyone have a link for a tutorial explaining how to make your own Hoops?

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1221085624)

--

11 posts

Posted:
I think this is the most cited hoop how to:
https://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

It is where I first learnt to make mine. I think you can still get these instructions from hooping.org, a brilliant magazine type website with great vids and articles changed daily...hats off to Philo, editor extraordinaire.

11 posts

Posted:
If you want a video tutorial then:

6,978 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PyrolificBender, I think CG needs a boyz only hoop workshop so we can figure out some hoop stuff without all the girls laughing at us.

I think Brett would be interested.

Non-Https Image Link

cavalestranger
1 post

Posted:
I fell madly in love with hoops a few months ago and I'd really like to make an LED hoop. But I'm uncertain what sort of LEDs I would need, because I've heard that you need extra bright ones. Does anybody have any tips?

6,978 posts

Posted:
vibrant electronic glow equipment face a few important constraints. A dim light looks a bit grim, however a vibrant light needs more wattage, so you're looking at energy storage in something like at least AAA batteries. battery operated LED arrays also need a PCB to control the pattern of light also.
A clever compromise often made with electronic glow equipment is the use of LEDs spaced behind translucent materials - the light scatters more evenly throughout not unlike smoked glass.
If u aren't an electronics expert or don't have the time or cashmonies to create prototypes (do a search on HoP for the Hyperlight project smile ), mebbe consider purchasing a set.
good luck!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
There are some cool instructions on instructables for making an LED hoop it is a bit different to the psi hoop ones but i actually really like the style.

11 posts

Posted:
The prodmod kit that I mentioned a few posts back is great. All the instructions are written out in plain English and they are very bright, much better that the instructable version imho. The kit uses an AAA battery or you can make the kit rechargeable for a bit of extra cash. You get 21 leds, they are bright and it lasts for ages. Once you've brought the kit you have the knowledge to make and adjust your own led hoops in future :-)

11 posts

Posted:
Sorry the kit uses a AA standard battery or a rechargeable one with all instructions.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
@ Bender & Pyrolific:

That would be great! My friend Rich and I have been talking about putting together a "hooping for dudes" workshop and have been parsing out what exactly makes a particular way of hooping or what particular moves are "masculine" versus "feminine". It's been an interesting line of thought. I hope you guys do it, would be great fun. Wish I could go -- but I might be visiting Sydney & Melbourne in January.
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1221155995)

~ ani di franco

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah mate, i had a similar experience with fans - from a teaching point of view the movements for me were broken down between masculine/feminine (as well as acrobatic & technical variants.)

I believe that a prop that involves expressive movements like hoops could be approached in a similar fashion. the biggest hurdle would be what colour spandex...

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I reckon the only really feminine moves on Hoop are the ones which involve lots and lots of fast shimmy wiggle action. I reckon the rest of the moves would probly look as good on a guy as on a girl - the grace and flow would be the determinate.

--

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yup Agreeed. Take a look on you tube for a guy named Karis.
He is amazing. He did the hula hooping bit in one of the scissor sisters film clips.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Oh also have a look around for some of baxters stuff and the rest of the hoop path crew. Very cool.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think I have got knee hooping stalls with one foot down in both directions now... Yippeeee!

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
congrats skully! leg hooping continues to be the bane of my hooping existence...so i'm quite envious. mad

~ ani di franco

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I've FINALLY managed to figure out dropping the hoop down to my knees and bringing it back up, and can do it fairly consistantly.

Today I get to go to my first ever hoop workshop, at the Alberta Dekomp. I'm so excited! smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Page: ...