Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I see ibeefy8 has been doing these and I've been wanting to expand them for quite some time so seemed like a good time to do so for anyone who wants to learn or has any tips and advice for them.

Name: Propellors

Family: Contact

Desc: To rotate the poi around the body, without wraps or clamping, around any part of the body, vertically in any wall or wheel plane or any horizontal plane.

eg.....as a poi spins clockwise around your arm and the weight comes upwards, you can find the balance point to maintain the rotation the poi around your arm, (but without wraps maintaining increased friction like the "suicide" wrap) It's very similar too isolated staff and devil stick propellors although has many more variables to control due to the flexibilty of the poi body and thus quite a lot trickier IMO.

Currently I'm up to a consistent 8 beats, have been over 10, which is nice, but it won't keep me happy until I can make it infinate(ish).

I have found that the control of speed is the most difficult aspect, once it gets too quick it tends to fly off but to slow it down can start the poi wrapping around you. Speed is very dificult to control but must be the key to controlling infinate propellors.

Tips, advice, experiences all welcome as usual biggrin hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Oh that! Didn't realise you meant that! ubblol rolleyes I've got a few entry variations you'd like for that, often involving wibbles and what not smile and an easy get out to for when the knot accidentally gets a little too knotted

Can't wait for überpoi bounce

ubbrollsmile

Written by: BLUEY

of course there were cheating beats. heaps in fact

Ya big cheater tongue ubblol

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
eek *starts thinking its really about time he weighted up his handles a bit and got back on the contact wagon to travel in the wake of what sounds like some sick trailblazing*

well done you lot! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
oh and I presume you've probably tried it but in case you havn't.....you can weave the poi-on-poi thing if the knot is in the right place (if not it'll come undone on the other side)
It feels like that fookin cool staff thing you borrowed my poi for in Brum

AND you can anti spin the one you don't hold during weave (butterfly ??) which feels most most strange indeed and takes a bit of isolation and brain confusion!

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
wooooooooo yeeahhhhhhhhhh! more propelloring peeps biggrin
hoorah for contact bounce

... but when did all this happen? was there a pre-überpoi or what?
still, glad you're spreading the love dunc...

*laura runs off to practice her propellors too, suddenly 70-odd pales in the light of the bug's and the feline's super propellering abilities* redface

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
If we're counting cheating beats then i did 3457 beats last night and they were going so fast it appeared that the poi was just stationary by my side! wink biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
wow rossco! you are a contact poi genius! wink

i got up to 50 propellors last night but i believe that was a fluke because last night for some reason i could do continuous hyperloops and now they are no where to be seen. alas, i will practice and *hopefully* be up to 100 by falmuff or uberpoi (if i can go!) biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

434 posts

Posted:
*Rossco runs off to actually practice propellors*

the only thing is, my poi keep catching on my glastonbury wristband and i dont have the heart to cut it off yet, i guess i'll just have to compensate and get better. biggrin

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
i still have my glasto wristband on and thats no excuse young man! propellors are totally possible with a wristband or several, pfft silly excuses, tut tut wink

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

434 posts

Posted:
sorry miss, i'll try harder i promise, i'm up to about 7 now, yay! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
use your left hand....loser! rolleyes

434 posts

Posted:
no i just use your poi now and they are muchos easier than mine for propellors, landed about 20 beats last night, whoop whoop! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: shen shui

or you could talk about them in here and we could ALL benefit from duncs amazing menagerie of knowledge!
(dances about dunc, strewing flowers all the while)
tra-la-la!
smile
hey by the way dunc when you're propellering (i remember reading you saying that you could do 63 in a row, once), do you have your hand fancing down to the ground, out away from you, or straight up in the air? (im sure, im sure, all can be done... but...) i can get 4 when my hand faces down. 4! (yay!)
(and whats the difference between propeller and wibble?)
thanks!
biggrin

Or I can talk about them here wink

*shakes off white flowers*

I'm well over a 100 propellors now, I stopped counting then figuring the control was sorted smile

My hand faces down, well, slightly to the right but still down. That's my left hand so it faces my body really but it there's no real restriction to which way it faces.

Difference between a Wibble and a Propellor

Although very similar feeling they're actually completely difference apart from the very important feeling of balance through your wrist/hand/whatever.

Wibbles stall and change direction when you make the contact catch. But propellors can only go one direction, if you change direction you've started another propellor.
The hand is near the handle for wibbles, and near the head for propellors due to the weight distribution between head and handle.

Apart from that watch some vids if you can find them and you'll see the difference much easier than trying to understand my gabble! ubblol

If you come to the UK Shen I'll give you my 1 minute propellor workshop, we'll have you goin in no time! biggrin hug

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
wibbles dont have to change arms to be able to wibble, do they...? as in, you dont need to have no contact with the poi prior to its wibbling? whether you throw it and change direction on its landing on whatever body part you like, or whether you're propellering and make the poi wrap on the arm thats doing the propeller, its still a wibble? or does it need to change arms (like if you're handcuffing... thats justs a glorified wibble, right? like, a 2handed double-wibble? (as opposed to a dibble, which i take to mean 2 wibbles in a row? coz a tribble would need 3 hands...))

(um... )

either way, its so cool and exciting! contact poi is ace!

you got any vids that have contact poi on them, dunc?

im intending to "do" europe in the northern summer of 07. gotta get a list of festivals to rock on to.

(your gabble is understandable :P i've told you that before... hug)

hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
No, wibble's can stay on the same arm while wibbling but will always be changing direction (except the anti wibble but we won't go into that here for fear of utter confusion!)

Written by: Shen

you dont need to have any contact with the poi prior to its wibbling? whether you throw it and change direction on its landing on whatever body part you like, or whether you're propellering and make the poi wrap on the arm thats doing the propeller, its still a wibble?

That's right, the wibble is the action of changing direction with a contact throw. What the poi does before it's wibbled can be anything and yes you could probably propell into a wibble on the same arm, it'd be tricky but I'm sure possible

No haven't got any videos up at the mo but watch out for a christmas pressie on the 25th (er....26th in NZ!)

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
woah! Anti-wibble? Duncan, have you been holding out on me? What is it? Have I seen it and just didn't recognise it... or is it shiny and new? biggrin

I need new poi tricks, juggling is starting to take over... juggle

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Anti-wibbles- you'll already be doing them Beth, I have no doubt smile

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
sweet.

yeah nah its not too hard to go from propeller to wibble on one arm (is anything hard, really?)

how're people going with 2 contact poi at once? anyone playing around with 3?

i find that you can do 2 propellers on one arm quite nicely, having the sock slowly make its way from the handle to the head throughout the 2 revolutions, and you can then pass it to the other arm and do the same thing again, so that you're continuously having 2 on each arm, and passing them from side to side. im sure you all know this... does anyone do it with 2 poi at once, having both arms going at once?

and i'd love to know more about these anti-wibbles that you're talking about, even at the expense of maybe being confused....

and so is a dibble just 2 wibbles in a row?

thanks.

smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
A dibble is where it makes two full rotations in the air between the actual wibble smile Tribble is three etc etc

Anti wibble is Matt's name for it (and I suppose he is the one should be naming them really!) but I prefer sibble, they're same direction wibbles smile

Two on one arm passing both to the other arm?!?! Nice one Shen, that's pretty hardcore...'specially seeing as you cant actually do many beats clap

I can pass one between my arms quite well and propellor throw/catches are pretty sweet now too, I can also propell one around both arms at the same time. Try playing with that Shen, you just need to make bigger circles with your arms biggrin

Laura (Elasta) does lovely contact with two poi ubblove I love playing contact with her she inspires me soooo much ubbrollsmile

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
hmm its a bit easier to pass them from one arm to the other than it is to keep them circling around (propellering) on one arm... imho, anyway...

(and i meant having one poi on each arm and passing them over... not two on the same smile aaand by 2 propellers i meant (ahem) having the poi rotate twice around the arm redface not two at once.. have tried that a bit and they move at slightly different speeds and the spin breaks down easier than with just one... seems i need to work on how to explain my mind a bit better...)

mmmm propellering around 2 arms... nice. isnt it interesting the things you dont think of...?

its really cool when doing contact double poi to have them really tangle up (its fun to do it deliberately, like, airwrapping it, or you can get into by an accidental tangle (although i guess if you're deliberately tangling them then accidental ones wont really happen that often.. and if they do, they will be easy to get out of..) and then let them slide down off each other and grab their handles and go back into a weave (or whatever)...

and is there much flexing of the elbow to catch the knot in the cubital fossa (read: inner elbow) and swing the poi from the elbow?

what do you do with one of the poi while you're contacting the other one? just keep it spinning? or do you wrap it around your neck and just leave it hanging there? or throw it exxxxtremely high?

do you ever let the poi spiral around each other lots so they're all twisted up and then do contact with the one-made-from-two?

aaargh not having anyone else around who does contact...! (and aaargh words, too...)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Shen Shui

aargh not having anyone else around who does contact...! (and aaargh words, too...)

Yeah and to rub tha salt in we both live in Wellington rolleyes

Two twisted around and played with...never done that, good idea! Might have a play with it while I'm filming later smile

There's a few cool elbow moves, you can use your underarm like that and the crook of your neck too smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ok, I didn't get any filming done till last night and now I realise I don't have space on my pc to rip the footage till I move some stuff off AND it's christmas so time is rather short at the moment. Will have a vid up soon tho, part of it is just for you shen hug

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
aawwww wow!
redface
that is so sweet! biggrin
and you are so cool.
(i can do about 9 propellers in a row now)
and this cool funky thing where you contact a poi around one forearm so the point of contact travels up from the knot to the head of the poi throughout the revolutions (however many revolutions it needs depends upon how long your poi are, obviously... mine take 2 full rotations), so that when the head of the poi is touching your arm you allow the rotation to continue, but put your other arm in the way so that it begins to spin around the other forearm like it was the first one (you want to move your first arm away rather quickly else it'll handcuff) so that you then do the same-but-opposite move with the second arm (ie the point of contact moves from the head to the knot while it revolves around your arm) until you're at the knot and you can begin the whole thing again by transferring to the original arm (you may want to clamp the knot between your arms for quarter of a second to ensure that you can perpetuate this instead of having the poi bounce away down the street).
smile
(ps thanks dunc)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Propellor or Propeller? seriously,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Both I think, I think it's whether it's the English or Americanised, I have no idea which is which tho smile

Shen that sounds like you've got it down natch smile I do that one around my hands alot, never thought about moving it up my arms! rolleyes

Vid is now even more hampered cuz my stoopid pooter has decided not to let me send large files through the air and now I have to write the to disk and post them to Mr Strugz to host for me shrug

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
i was walking thru town earlier thinking about that move, and realised the potentiality of having a poi on each arm n passing them between the arms... it'd be the same arm movements, just more often... at the same time. (n then handcuffing them both and doing it reverse...)
exciting times.
woo.

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
hi guys wavehello

been a while since I surfed HoP, but still playing with the contact fun biggrin
not really been going for the high numbers, still lacking a bit of comtrol therefore on the props... but some nice things coming along with passing around the body type stuff smile

still working on the propellor flowers... other than that, hmmm best get practicing

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Loz chops! biggrin hug

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
propellor flowers ubblove antispin?? eek

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by: elasta

ubbidea just realized if anyone's interested, there are a couple of horizontal propellors on the infire vid... I think its chapter 2 (its in the vid section [Old link] - there's a clip of a couple of us hanging off a climbing wall and I'm doing propellors.

I know I promised ages ago to put up clips of each move in the contact poi thread, but we taped over the footage... still, I will do it I promise smile

Lx

Just out of curiosity, what time in the video do you do the Propellors, couse I dont know many moves so its hard to pick one out of a fire show by guessing, havnt watched it yet its downloading so you know if its painfully odviouse then thats my excuse for asking a sily question ubbrollsmile

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's about 2:20 while she's hanging on the climbing wall smile

Page:

HOP Newsletter