GoodSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
I'm sure many of you know already, but tickets go on sale the 5th of January. This years' theme "Psyche: the Conscious, the Subconscious and the Unconscious."
see www.burningman.com for info

take the schneak-tip

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'll be there! Thanks for the heads up on tickets.

Should we attempt another HoP gathering? Last year I guess it fell apart. I know I totally forgot about it but I did end up running into a few HoPers just cruising around.

Edit:

BTW, anyone know a theme camp with a lot of fire artists or that offers any poi activities? I'd love to join one and help out. The camp I was at last year is disbanding frown

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
If Temple of Poi does another theme camp you could help them. Two years ago they had daily classes etc. They have a website check them out. smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
attempting a gathering might be an idea...
maybe around noon~ish on tuesday or wednsday?

I AM working.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
An HoP gathering would be stupendous! The Fire Conclave will no doubt have a camp.

Also, I'm pulling together a crew for a theme camp called "the Fallen." We will be conducting mask-making workshops on multiple days and having a procession and ritual which we are calling "Pageant of the Fallen," probably on Thursday or Friday at dusk. It would be great to have some more firespinners take part in that.

More details to follow -- this is the first public announcement of the camp.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The fire conclave will definitely have a camp.... again.... My group runs it, but it's there to organize the spinners for the burn night performance, not really for classes. Although it is early and Crimson has spoke of a fire village before. There are so many fire spinners at burningman and many of them do other things and camp with different theme camps. I can't open our arms to everyone to camp with us because we have only a sliver of camp space.

A meeting during the day could work, granted it isn't too conducive to fire. There is noonish juggling every day at center camp which could work although it's not exclusive to poi. There has been HOP gatherings at burningman before, but most of us forgot/got there late.

We have had some grand ideas about doing an alien love nest type showcase gathering for fire spinners, but that's kind of there thing. Plus we work all day, working all night too leaves no time to play. biggrin

Cody Canon

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Cool, I'll check out Temple of Poi. I think I ran into Glitter Girl out there last year.

I'd love to help out with the conclave but I'm not sure that I want to be in it. I love watching the burn too much.

A HoP daytime meetup would be cool. That way you can see what people are doing. Any day later in the week is probably best. Lots of people only show up for the last four days or so. (Yahoos spank )

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I think the HOP gathering was thursday night last year. It was good timing, I just forgot untill it was too late.

Cody Canon

Dr NickSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
Yahoo...... (strange vocal noises)

This will be my second burn.

I have already saved up the money for my next airline ticket.

You might not believe me but I miss the taste of playa dust so much I sometimes open the jar and put some in my Martynne.

I desperately want to be part of the circle that releases the man this year. Do you have an audition process or some form of ritual beating you must be able to endure?

------------------
only 245 days

The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
- Infected Mushroom "The Missed Symphony"

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Here is my post from last year explaining the burn. It is still early so if you start communications now your chances are better. First step would be to sign up as a volunteer at burningman and check the Fire Conclave box. That gets you in the email loop. The person to contact is Crimson Rose. But do it early like now or else additions are out of the question. So on that note.
Written by:

Ok here we go.
I know quite a bit about the spin arround the man and man is it a hot subject. I may be repeating myself from other posts, but I'll repeat myself here because this is the major discussion thread.

The burn at the man is just another fire show at burningman, of which there are many. Granted it is at the man when he burns. My first year burning at the man was 2000. There were about 350 fire spinners total at burningman. As long as you had your self under controll and were not a liability, you could spin at the man. Last year there were about 2500 fire spinners at burningman (my guess) and all of them wanted to spin at the man which can only hold about 625 spinners.

So pretend your Crimson, who do you pick? You don't want anyone loosing their poi and have it prematurely light the bomb... I mean the man. So you would rather have performers you can trust. In 2002 Crimson selected groups that she trusted and had about 50 passes left over, so she had a show me burn (tryouts) on wednesday night. 300 performers showed up. She had to tell 250 of them thanks but I don't have room.

Last year she decided to keep it to just established groups. By doing that she decreased the number of people she had to wrangle. She delt with the leaders of the groups or shin's as they were called. The shins were in charge of everyone in their group

My group Controlled Burn runs the Fire Conclave Convergance, the theme camp in charge of checking in everyone for the night of the burn. We are also the brunt of the spinners aggressions.

I suggest everyone go to the HOP gathering, (I think it's on thursday night correct me if I'm wrong) Lets make it a huge burn, there are no limits any other time. And everyone is welcome. Lets remember what burningman is about and everyone have fun. I think burningman may be 15% fire spinners this year.

The night of the burn is just a performance, enjoy it and burn like mad the rest of the time.

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Boy, I didn't mean to kill the thread, just trying to help. biggrin

Cody Canon

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
10 more hours before the cheap tickets go on sale! WooHoo!

I can almost smell the dust...

Dr NickSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
You did help!

Thank you I would have replied sooner but I was bush.

I decided to try a "confest" while I was in the land of Oz. Thats Conference festival not convict festival but its Australia so ill forgive the mistake. Its no burning man but it was still an interesting experience. I fell I know my self better. It has strengthened my convictions to travel farther a field too.

ops... off thread.

Thanks for the pointers about releasing the man.

Ill see how it all goes.

The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
- Infected Mushroom "The Missed Symphony"

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Ritual beetings help too wink

Cody Canon

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Hey I just read this off the burningman website
Written by:

Subconsciousness

For the spirit that walks in shadow
"T is-oh, 't is an Eldorado!
But the traveler, traveling through it,
May not-dare not openly view it;

So wills its King, who hath forbid
The uplifting of the fringéd lid;
And thus the sad Soul that here passes
Beholds it but through darkened glasses.

Edgar Allen Poe
--Dream-Land

A lamp lit colonnade behind the Funhouse of the Mind will lead directly outward from our city toward the open desert. This promenade will terminate precisely on the borderline dividing wakefulness from sleep. Each day at sundown we will here convene a rite to mark the waning of the sun's last rays and the onset of darkness. As twilight thickens into night, a procession of lamplighters will slowly advance from lamppost to lamppost. Arriving at a giant human head that's half-imbedded in the ground, they will ignite a brazier in its cranium. This act will represent that moment when the "I" releases its clenched grip on consciousness and lapses into dreams. Flames will flicker in its eyes as glowing veins begin to overspread its face and brow. When sparks fly upward from its skull, we will begin a nightly fire art revue. We urge all fire artists to locate their work around this monument. Come paint darkness with the primal light of pure imagination.

Looks like a mighty fine place to spin fire each night.

Cody Canon

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Nice! That sounds like the perfect place for a HoP meetup.

WooHoo! My ticket is on it's way.

katl2dnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
i'm set with a tcket to go and this will be my first year... yeeaaaah!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Cool katl2d, last year was my first burn and I plan on attending many more. Make sure you read the Burning Man survival guide and come prepared. Joining a theme camp also helps.

Oh, and welcome to HoP!

katl2dnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
definitly already read it. i'm part of philly fire as well as the nyc kostumekult and they have their own community so i think i will end up there

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Wow Burningman sold out of 10,000 tickets at $175 in 5 hours. That's crazy. This year should be good too. I predicted that last year would be bad weather because we had 3 good years in a row. My dad was near the Blackrock Desert in november and he said the playa was under 2 inches of water. This is great news because it means the playa will have a good hard pack this year. LESS DUST. biggrin

Cody Canon

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
That's good to hear. I didn't think the weather was too bad last year. The dust storms were bearable but the cold nights did put a damper on some of the activities. Watching the endless stream of dust devils was impressive.

10,000 tickets in 5 hours! I barley got one then. The lame ticket vendor got swamped again, just like last year. It won't be long before tickes are $250 a pop.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Well, the lame ticket vendor is actually Burningman's own server. It could become unlame but that ticket price would go up. I think it's still quite impressive if it was able to proccess 10,000 sales in 5 hours. There were still $200 tickets avail as of this afternoon. They'll go fast too I'm sure. smile

Cody Canon