Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok lads,

I've just heard about this...
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4125481.stm

A huge earthquake occured in the Indian ocean yesterday, prompting a massive tidal wave which impacted Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia and Thailand.

I know there are many Hoppers in Thailand at the minute, though I hope most of them are on the other side of the island.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to those caught up in this today... if you are in Thailand, please post (when you can) to let us know you're ok.

Take care, all my love
Clare xx

Getting to the other side smile

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Written by: Flynt

xoxo thanks to OrangeBobo for alerting me to this (even if it was at half past four in the morning wink )

redface Sorry Flyntums, I knew it was late in Oz, but wasn't sure if you'd seen this or not... hughughug

Very glad to hear they are both safe and well!!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lads and girlies, I hope you aren't offended by my asking this...

It's just the scale of this disaster takes my breath away. They're talking about a death toll of upwards of 100,000. It's so hard to comprehend so many lives lost over the space of an hour or two - and that's not to mention the thousands who will die in coming days.

My god. I can't even think of how awful it must be in those countries.

I saw U2 playing at Slane once - there were 90,000 people at the gig. It was a sea of faces, people - as far as the eye could see. Maybe for some of you it will be easier to think of all those who attend Burning Man or Glastonbury. To imagine more than that dead is horrific.

So I'm going to ask... if anyone has any cash left after Christmas, or if your granny gave you a tenner, or you can spare anything... please donate to one of the aid agencies trying to help out (if you haven't already).

(I'm asking because I feel so helpless, and I'm rather desperately trying anything. Don't be offended I asked, I realise donating is personal preference)

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
When oh when will the Burmese government release accurate figures of their dead? They definitely were affected by the tsunami, but also by the second of the three 'quakes, yet so far no figures have been released, nor have they requested international aid.

Do they really care that little about their own people?

I guess they're just glad they can save money on bullets now.

frown

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks Spanner... hug

I saw some figures released on the BBC website Mags, but you're right, as usual Burma has closed down.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4132725.stm

This is the most up-to-date story, and they say 90 are dead in Burma (but who can say?!)

Take care xx

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
My thoughts go out to all the people who have been so affected by this disaster. Having traveled in many of these areas it makes it more real and doubles the concern i have.

The best thing we can do is donate some money, anything but the more you can afford the better. Talk to friends and relatives and get to geter to donate.

It can take a decade for the people out there to rebuild, we can afford it now so invest in this.. you and your children will want to visit this beautiful part of the world... beautiful because of the islands and the people and the experiences.

Send them some love and hugs... our thoughts are with them..

grouphug grouphug

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
She giveth, and she taketh away...

The death toll is now at 80,000 last I heard. They say more than 100,000 from the incident itself not even counting the many thousands that will die from contaminated water.

Tony Blair is immediately pledging 15m to the recovery. George Bush is saying he will stand by the countries affected.

1 good story so far, Scottish Water had something like 80 pallets of fresh water in a warehouse, so instead of moving it to their new warehouse, theyre sticking it on a plane.

All aid agencies are mobilised, and moving now to the scene.

I'd like to point out that even with this immense human tragedy underway, the Baghdad chaps still find time to blow each other up. Please don't lose sight of everything else thats going on.

Has anybody got anyone missing still?

My thoughts go out to Cass in Bangkok... Was the full moon party on the other side of the country?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
yes... the party was no where near... we have to thank that party for pulling many of the western people from all over asia to the safe haven of hadd rinn beach... well away from the problems...

I suppose we should apreciate the terroist actions for independence in bande ache as this has stopped heavy tourisum in this most devistated area reducing tourist deaths... however it has also stopped development and progress for locals, which has led to such vast deaths of the local people.... its all screwed...

I just gave money to a charity on line... will / can you....if you can... give... it will make a difference the more people that help...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i feel sick... i just watched a clip on the bbc site and right at the end.... a mass of dead bodies laid out in the streets.

this [censored] is awful.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Has anyone heard from Stebbins? frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Patrick, no he hasn't posted - but he said he was going to the full moon party on Koh Phan Ngan/Koh Samui. So he should be ok. I hope he thinks to post on here and let us know though.

And DevKev, the violence in Bande Aceh only served to make the situation worse for those people... it has been very difficult to get aid to them. And despite the fact tourist deaths are a small percentage of the overall total, the media is focusing on them - frustrating, but understandable.

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
i agree.. lets hope that our goverments see fit to make a difference... the uk is pledging 96 million... about time they did something right..

i have given to charity now... the quicker we give, the more relief they can plan to give and the longer we can help for...

Make a difference.. make a donation.

our hearts go to those missing people...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well said.

Apparently there's been a phenomenal response from the public towards the aid agencies... and that's fantastic - but it's certainly not over yet - jesus, they haven't even made it out to the outlying towns yet.

Love and best wishes to the survivors
hug

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: devkev

My thoughts go out to all the people who have been so affected by this disaster. Having traveled in many of these areas it makes it more real and doubles the concern i have.

Written by: Sym_

Is there anyone here who knows about help over there? ... I want to go there and help as it is, but I don't know anything about how one goes about it. the red cross etc always have people on the scene - they must come from somewhere

I wonder about going to help out. My spouse speaks Indonesian, majored in Southeast Asian studies, lived in Indonesia for 6 months before, knows construction among lots of other useful skills and is talking about going there. Could we? Should we? Maybe... ? ? ? Is it a calling? Or would we just be in the way? Big questions. Who else has thought them and what did you do about it?

shrug

meditate

I AM working.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
To those in the UK. When donating make damn sure that you specify that you agree with Gift Aid. That way the charity can claim the tax back and get an extra 20% or something.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok right now I think the last thing these countries need are well meaning people rushing over there to help out. It will just mean more mouths to feed and find clean water for. If you have building/medical/search and rescue skills then maybe you will be of use, but go through organisations such as the red cross. They will be able to tell you how and where you can help if at all.

What I think they need most is donations of clothes, blankets, tents and money. In the UK you can donate clothes and blankets etc at Red Cross charity shops and donate money by creditcard on 0870 60 60 900. If you don't have a creditcard go into your bank and ask them how to do a direct transfer.

I'm not sure for other countries how to go about donating.

All I can say is with each passing day and every news report I get more and more shocked at the stories of loved ones lost and amazed at how people managed to survive.

To all those who have lost loved one to this disaster my heart goes out to you. For all that have survived I rejoice in the news of your safety. For all those missing I long for good news of your escape and survival. For all those waiting for news I wish you strength.
hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
filthy assistant #1 - I am 100% commited to what i said. If you find anything out about it i would be interested in going.

I couldn't go back to my 9-5 job if i knew i could be helping over there.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
death toll i last heard as 60,000!!!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Same as Dostoevskiymember
54 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

when it gets colder that -25, you don't really care

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
the death toll is now at 117,000 ubbcrying

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
it goes up and up as they manage to make it out to outlying islands.
they just find more and more dead.

its truly awful.

Cass has posted here so we knowe they are now safe.

keep hoping for the others tho.

Kitx

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

ASTRO FAERIEBRONZE Member
ummmmmmm.............
724 posts

Posted:
I just heard my cousin is ok, hes been living in thailand, but luckily he was in an unhit area at the time, so hes ok thank god.

Glad to hear that some of the Hoppers are safe and well, i think the same thought were going thru peoples mind on here about travelling Hoppers, just glad everyone is safe.

I dont think ive seen such a wide scale tragedy in my lifetime, very sad. frown

Only when the last tree has died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we
cannot eat money.

Cree Indian, 1909

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
huge hug 's out to all who need them... i've felt so helpless just watching the story unfold in the news... frown

grouphug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

AmanitaSILVER Member
157 posts

Posted:
I read somewhere that this disaster literally caused the earth to wobble on it's axis! And that this has caused our days to shorten by a fraction of a second, every day. Permenantly.
Freaky [censored], I tell you. Makes you stop and think for a moment.

After 9/11, I didn't have alot of money- I was pretty poor at the time. But I still gave some money to help out. I want to do the same now- Perhaps next paycheck, I will give something to the Red Cross or another recognized relief agency..To all of you reading about this tragedy and feeling helpless right now, perhaps it's something you could do. Even a few dollars is enough to give somebody much needed food or medicine, or to help put a roof over somebody's head again.

No, I don't work for the red cross or anyone like them, it's just a thought- for those of us who can't be there physically to help rebuild a home, or to feed or clothe somebody, or to try and comfort somebody who's suffered an unimaginable loss, perhaps giving of something that will be used to help these people is something we CAN do. It's far preferable to feeling helpless.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Tower Cranes, for you are soft and would look better when squashed by a full concrete bucket"

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There was a site called Disaster Relief which Oxfam, Red Cross etc used to advertise humanitarian vacancies, but in all cases they're after people with specific skills.

It's admirable that so many want to be there in person, but if you don't have any meaningful way of contributing then you're taking up resources that the locals desperately need. The leader of one of the comunities in Thailand (I think) went on air to say "don't send us any more relief teams" because of this.

Money is far more helpful to them right now. Make sure it gets collected by volunteers and not those guys on commission who stop you in the streets.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I have been away for a while now mourning.

I have lost my host family in Indonesia (except for my host father and youngest brother who are still missing).

I lived with this family in Indonesia in 1997-1998 and we became quite close.

I found out the bad news on New Years Day.

I hope that they didn't suffer.

So many lives....
So many people touched by tragedy.

Rest in peace my wonderful family.

May Allah take you into his arms.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
frown frown hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

babajagaBRONZE Member
old hand
863 posts

Posted:
grouphug

What is psychology?- Looking for a black cat in a dark room. What is psychoanalysis? Psychoanalysis is looking for a black cat in a dark room -- in which there is no cat -- but finding one anyway.

dope_sistanewbie
3 posts

Posted:
yeah am from Thailan... ones of most beautiful island in this crazy world are destroy.. Phi phi island..Krabi...pang nga Phuket and the rest. And what so pity is people who died and missin but here we can handle it not same sri lanka and India coz they more ppl died n country is kinda poor so not so much money for support..
Must thx eveyrone who donate blood n cash for my country and the rest.I can feel love in this world

R.I.P people who gone back to jesus's arm

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Ok, just an update and a question:

My friend’s dad I talked about was found, dead, on New Years Eve. I haven't seen them yet as they're still out there. frown

I got an email on Sunday titles "tsunami orphanage project"

They want to go and do some rebuilding work in Sri Lanka. It all sounded too got to be true for me (see above posts) but (unlike most things that are too good to be true) this one seems to be for real.

They want people for a month (May, June or July at first). It costs £1000 for the month including travel, accommodation and food.

At the moment I'm really thinking about quitting my job and going in May.

Has anyone else had this email? don't worry, I'm going to make sure it's o scam or anything before I quit, and I recommend anyone else really checks things like this out before sending money etc.

Filthy assistant, were you still interested? If anyone wants to PM me for more info, please do but remember I still don't know if this is for real. (I'm 90% sure it is, otherwise I wouldn't post it here)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I found out the other day, one of my dads leadlighting students best friend was in thailand when ti happened with ehr husband. They were sitting on deck chairs when they saw the wave. The hjusband gave her a boost up to the balcony of the hotel above them, two men helped her up but when she went to turn around , she held out her arm...but the wave had already come. I havent heard anymore than that, but tis amazing how many people its directly affected...
My dad may be going off to help, he did a nursing course so they said they would ahve use for him...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Page: