Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok lads,

I've just heard about this...
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4125481.stm

A huge earthquake occured in the Indian ocean yesterday, prompting a massive tidal wave which impacted Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia and Thailand.

I know there are many Hoppers in Thailand at the minute, though I hope most of them are on the other side of the island.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to those caught up in this today... if you are in Thailand, please post (when you can) to let us know you're ok.

Take care, all my love
Clare xx

Getting to the other side smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Just heard about this - it's a massive disaster! Probably thousands killed across the region with no warning - from fishermen to tourists. frown

I know a few Hopers were on islands over on the other side of Thailand which didn't get hit so badly.

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
eek

YIKES!!

i didnt hear about this, but thats terrible! pls hopers, let us know you are ok just by posting here.

Hope everyone is ok..
All the best.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
grouphug

- to all of those out there.

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
hug hug I hope everyone is ok, let us know !

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
grouphug
My thoughts go out to all affected by this.
They've been warning people about terrorist attacks but no man can create as much chaos as nature.
I hope they can get everyone food and water and a bed. All I can give is my caring thoughts and empathy.
Everyone give everyone a hug hug hughug
grouphug
ubblovemajik

Live, love, laugh and dance!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Very sad indeed. I have 2 friends who were washed out to sea but got back to dry (?) land again. They can't find there dad at the moment.

Is there anyone here who knows about help over there? I've just watched with shame the British Tourists all leaving as soon as they could. Why can't they stay and help?? Maybe I’m being stupid, but if I were there and could, I would help! I want to go there and help as it is, but I don't know anything about how one goes about it. the red cross etc always have people on the scene - they must come from somewhere

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Thats horrible
I hope your friends find their dad.
I agree I think it's wrong that people would just run like that and not stay and help. I would stay to help too. But we can't judge other people for there actions. Not unless we are there and are not doing what they are. Maybe fear overrides the willingness to help. We don't really know what we would do until we were faced with the situation ourselves. Even though I'm sure I would stay I won't damn them for not. Sorry to put that on you but thats how it is.
My thoughts are with your friends and their dad and everyone else. hug
ubblovemajik

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
You're quite right. It's all very well for me to sit here complaining about what other people are (or are not) doing. Thanks majik hug

I still want to go over there and help - although I've not found out that un-trained people often cause more problems then they solve

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
That's tragic & frightening. Last I heard on the news yesterday was that around 160 people had died - now the toll is over 10,000.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quickly off topic and not meant at all negatively - The 'If I was there' response people so easily display is meant well but too easily said. When there's a big fire do the firemen ask for volunteers? Or do they ask people to stand back so they can get on with thier jobs?

There's only so much individual people can do in this situation. The people who live in effected areas are going to have to rebuild thier own homes and lives and it's probably easier to do that without having to put up well meaning tourists who don't speak the language and have never weaved a roof in thier lives. I'm sure many doctors, engineers and other needed professionals may be hanging round to help as these people need a lot of professional help to heal, reclaim and rebuild and a whole lot of money.

And if you want to help then make a donation to a charity involved in the effort such as the Red Cross, World Vision, etc...

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Well said
I'll agree with that. Sorry Dom for being so free with words without thinking about it.

shibaki's momSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
Hello to all HoP people.

i can tell you all what i know.. we got a call from one of Danae
(Cassandra) & Jeff's(Shibaki) friends, "Aoy"(she's in bangkok). it was early this morning.. Sunday, about 6:30 a.m. that is around 6:30 p.m. Thailand time. (they're okay as far as we know) anyway.. she said , she had gotten a call from Danae, saying they had been evacuated from their hotel/bungalow?, on one of the islands that got hit.. they are/were up in the mountains, but safe.. they had to get out so quickly , they had to leave all their belongings.. no money, passports clothes etc. so i don't know a lot .. but it sounds like someone they were evacuated with had a cell phone to be able to call Bangkok. she said they were either going to try to make it to Bangkok some time tomorrow..or try to call her again, to let us know how they are. i am sure they will be sticking around to help in any way they can.

Dom, my husband and i are going to send some money to help.. who do you most recommend?

Sym, i hope your friends have found their dad..

all good thoughts sent to everyone over there & all those waiting to hear from people they know.

Spanner.. good luck with your friend being out of harms way as well.

when i hear something from Jeff & Danae, i'll let you all know.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
i just heard the death toll is over 11,500 terrible tragedy!

i dont know what to say, i knwo this sounds so cruel but i also cant help thinking if u censored with mother nature it censored with you god that sounds harsh btu i cant help thinking it

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Hmm.

I'm a very lucky Garth!

I was in Phuket about 5 days before but wondered over to the full moon party so missed it all!

I can't swim and have a fairly large fear of lage bits of water so double lucky!

My heart goes out to those caught up in this! grouphug

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thanks shibaki's mom.

Dom, I did say I might have been silly to say that I would help. You're right, fire fighters don't ask for help, but I'm the sort of person who will hang around to see if theres anything I can do anyway.

The amount of people they'll need to help over there is huge. I do give money to people (although I've not done for this yet I will do), but I hate feeling like thats all I can do.

Anyway, I don't want to take over this thread with my rant.

hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thanks for clearing that up Sym hug

The update today:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4126971.stm

Sadly the death total has hit 20,000, and I'm afraid that's still set to rise.

Shibaki's Mum - thank you so much for letting us know that Danae and Jeff were safe. I know there are other Hoppers out there, but as we'd been talking about them just last week, they were on my mind.

Good luck and best wishes to all those from HoP who are in the affected areas and dealing with this disaster, and my thoughts are with the tens of thousands of people I don't know whose homes and lives have been wiped out in a few seconds.

Love to you all
Clare xx

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
this is terrifying!!! I found out yesterday, and every 10 mins on the radio they say something about it, and I'm always asking what they're saying, because I can only pick up words of it, and not all. It just keeps getting worse and worse...

My heart goes out to all who have been lost, all who have survived, all who have lost someone, and hope that we can recover as many as we can... Am very glad to hear good news about Hoppers surviving (Cass and Jeff)

Now, I hear the problem they're worried about is with all the dead bodies, when they start to decompose that it will contaminate the drinking water, and malaria will become another problem, in addidtion to millions homeless.

Good luck to all...

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
It always makes me think about how destructive nature can be.

Wars and such kill thousands of people over a period of time, then nature causes a large earthquake which kills thousands in a matter of days.

My thoughts go out to all those effected (or is it affected?) hug

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Besides Cass amd Jeff, I have two other friends who were in that area...I found out this morning that they are safe and sound in Perth, OZ, so big sigh of relief.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

filthy 23BRONZE Member
136 posts

Posted:
When I just looked at the BBC news it said "Survivors and rescuers are battling the devastation left by sea surges that wiped out entire communities, killing about 23,000 people. " (https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4126971.stm)

That's a big 23. frown

I AM working.

9 posts

Posted:
spitfire, i just sent you a pm, in response to yours.. i am so glad you know your friends are safe!

spanner, that's great! i'm equally happy for you!

orangebobo, that is what i am now concerned about with jeff & danae.. (if they are still on the island which i think they are, because i have yet to hear from them directly) is the water and everything else that they are going through. until we actually talk to them... my husband & i won't feel totally comfortable in their safety.

and... it just hurts to think of all those people & their families & friends..

sym, your heart is in the right place.. i know part of me would like to be there helping...it's hard to leave your heart out of any situation like this , when people are in such need & pain.my thoughts are still with you & your friends on their dad.

firepoise(clare), when i do finally hear from them personally, i'll ask if they have seen any of the other "hoppers', and let you all know what they say.

will someone ask "flynt" (she's danae's roommate), if she will pass on to danae's folks , the message we got from danae, through her friend in bangkok. i don't have their phone # or e-mail addy. just in case they don't know.

thank you all.. and good luck to everyone !

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
I will try to give them a call today, thankfully I think Cass has left a list of numbers with her families details at home, so I will ring home to find out if her parents # is on there.

Tracy, I will pm their number to you also, if you like? I think that would be the best option as you will probably get news from them first.
xoxo thanks to OrangeBobo for alerting me to this (even if it was at half past four in the morning wink )

Currently on the right side up of the world.

9 posts

Posted:
Flynt,

thank you, i would greatly appreciate it.

i'm going to call Aoy in Bangkok tonight, to see if she has heard anything else from them.

take care.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Bit late, but I spoke to Cass' mother earlier and Aoy had called them as well and they hadn't heard from them directly either and I don't even know which island they were on. They were planning to go to Koh Chang on the other side of Thailand - but according to someone who was there they moved thier booking back a week.

9 posts

Posted:
dom,

great news!!

we just got through to Aoy and she said they were airlifted off the island "Phuket", they got to Bangkok around 6 or 7 a.m. their time. will you let danae's folks know this info too? (thank you)

they are staying at the princess hotel. phone # 011-66-2-216-3700. under the name of mr.belkin, there are two rooms under that name.
when we called there.. about 1/2 hr ago, we got someone we didn't know (almost hung up) my husband said he was looking for jeff, he was sorry to have bothered him.. the fellow asked jeff sexton? anyway.. jeff & danae are asleep in the next room.. safe! he told us when the wave hit , jeff climbed the nearest tree, until it was safe to get down .. and danae.. don't know if she climbed a tree.. but she got out of harms way as well.. yippee!!! i am so happy !

the nice gentleman is going to give them the message we called when they wake up & have breakfast together.

and .. pk, i'm having a hard time sending you a pm, i also can't call you, until our phones are charged... i'll call as soon as they're charged.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
im hear and reading!... if you call and i dont answer!.. im prolly sleeping as im 8 hours ahead of you in florida.
Glad to hear from Aoy that they're ok. Please please give them my love when you speak with them.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear people are well... has anyone heard from that guy who was going to Thailand for the Full Moon party?! Oh, maybe he was going to Koh Samui...

Today's news update (as of 11.50am)
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4129371.stmv

There's a good series of links on that page to the aid agencies working out there, if anyone feels like they want to donate what they can.

hug

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I'm in fear of my neighbour who works on an oil drilling platform off the coast of Sri Lanka..

I thought he was in Ireland for Christmas, but have found out that he's not.. I only know him as Partick from number 4..

frown

Glad to hear that Cass and Shibaki are safe.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
amazing news about cass and shibaki! AWESOME!

stix i hope your neighbour is safe also... the copany withthe rig prob look after their own and i hope and pray they got them out of there...

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
good to know cassandra and shibaki are safe and sound!

Raph

Page: