Forums > Help! > Extinguishing and Storing Fire Poi

Login/Join to Participate

FitzSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi everybody. I just got my first set of fire poi for Christmas and there's a couple things I'm confused about. One, the instructions that came with the poi say to extinguish them by blowing out the fire from the bottom of the wick. But which end is the bottom? I'm guessing the end that attatches to the chains? My second question is, how can poi be safely stored? Should they be sealed in containers or what?

Sorry if there's threads on this already, I tried searching as best as I could redface

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Blowing out wicks works best when the flames are quite small at the end of the spin. I've never thought about whether I'm blowing the top or bottom of the wick, but a useful tip if you're having difficulties is to turn twist the chain as you blow, thus extinguishing the flame on all sides of the wick.

However, I think it's even better to extinguish them using a slightly damp cotton towel, by smothering the flame.

This also has the advantage that you'll be able, with a bit of practice, to extinguish them in an emergency, even when the flames are too big to blow out.

---------------

Be safe-

have a spotter/safety person around

don't drink/take drugs prior to spinning

have a fire blanket/extinguisher, or, at the very least, a dampened cotton towel

if you've got long/medium hat, wear a wooly hat (ignited hair is one of the more common accidents in spinning)

use paraffin/kerosene for fuel

Don't do any moves with fire that you're not 100% sure you can do with unlit poi

Do a search on safety for more tips.

-------

For storeage- paraffin stinks; I usually wrap the wicks in a couple of carrier bags when the spin is over.

If you've got an outdoor shed then it's a good idea to store all your fire stuff there.

If you post what kind of poi you've bought, maybe you'll get some other tips and advice that relate specifically to them.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FitzSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
So for storage, can I just leave them sitting on a dresser or should they be in some kind of specific material?

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
The only thing you have to worry about as far as storage is the black residue the wicks will leave on everything if you use paraffin/kerosene.

I just stuff mine in a pair of old socks and tie them off. Then I can practice with them and not get black marks all over myself and the walls.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Like I said before, paraffin smells, so I think it's best to wrap them in something airtight eg old carrier bags or cellophane.

Paraffin is toxic, and carcinogenic- obviously the amounts given off by stored unlit wicks will be small, but, if you're keeping them in your home I think it's worthwhile makinbg an effort to minimise it.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I use an old paint tin (well a new one actually I bought the cheapest paint I could find and threw the paint away) to dip my poi in when spinning when I'm done use a funnel to put all the excess paraffin back into the bottle then drop my poi heads in the tin.

1) Keeps the smell out paint tins are air tight.
2) Keeps your poi from drying out (e.g. forever soaked) (unproved myth that poi burn better if you keep them soaked)
3) Has a handle to carry your poi around.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
re: blowing stuff out

the 'bottom' of the wick is the bit NEAREST THE GROUND. in the direction of gravity. towards the centre of the earth. etc.

the reason for doing this is that you're trying to remove all of the burning fuel vapour from the area of the wick, thereby extinguishing it. this vapour is hot. hot air rises. so if you blow downwards, it'll just go back up into your face. and you'll probably have lost an eyebrow or two by the time you manage to blow it out.

best way to do it is to hold the poi up, take a deep breath, and huff the flame out in one go. DO NOT BREATHE IN when your face is by the flame; if you accidentally inhale paraffin vapour, and it ignites, it will hurt. potentially fatal, indeed.

best

q

ture na sig

FitzSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot for the information.... it's all very helpful

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm with onewheeldave, paraffin ( kerosene ) stinks, if that's what you're going to be spinning with you don't want your burned wicks anywhere near where you're going to be spending any time, one night with these things sitting on your dresser will convince you of this. Best to seal them in an airtight container and preferably leave them outside. One of the reasons I switched to burning straight white gas ( Colemans) was the smell, on me, on my clothes, in my car. I also just walked into a paint store and bought a new 4 litre paint can, it wasn't expensive but I don't keep my wicks in it, I've never been convinced that keeping kevlar wet affects it in any way.

As to blowing them out, I just usually spin until one goes out, I use those cheap Thailand wicks ( the white ones ) I don't know what there made of but given the price I don't care about them and after hundreds of burns they still look pretty good.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I either blow out from below or just spin quick near the end of the fuel. I store mine in my rucksack inside the bottom half of an old plastic milk bottle after I've let them cool for a minute. This is no problem as I don't "Dunk" my poi after a burn, (I don't know if you do tho) I never have and my oldest wicks are now well used without a problem for well over a year. Infact they're better now than ever before so personally I dont see it makes any difference except you waste tons more fuel and spread contamination all over the place spinning them out. I hear the wicks will last longer but have yet to actually see any evidence of this from anyone, mine couldn't be in much better condition really!

I like the paint can idea, and if you can cut a hole on the edge of the lid you can leave your chains (or more importantly) handles outside so they don't get all full of fumes/fuel which could lead to some nasty soriosis (sp?) and various other nastiness on your fingers.

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Firey Sagnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Empty New paint cans for storage.

The fuel will eventually burn away and the flame will die out or with the force of the spin it will be extinguished, or....always, always, have a water bucket and a old towel ( I use a old small kitchen rug) wet the towel and have it on the ground close so you can drop the burning poi onto one side of the towel and then simply fold the other half over and poof..there out.

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i always fast spin the poi once you notice the poi are nearly out and it works for me!

as to storage i keep the poi in a small painters mixing bucket with a little bit of paraffin in the bottom, as to transporting them i just wrap the poi in cling film and put them in a bag.

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

FitzSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
I've spun a few times now, and I've both blown them out and spun them out. Both ways are good... I've been keeping my poi in an airtight plastic container in the garage, which seems to work well.

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
duvetyne is also good to use for extinguishing flames (in case of a nasty tangle you can't get out of or you want to stop before your fuel burns out). you don't have to dampen it, so don't have a wet towel to deal with afterwards. i just keep a piece of it in my little fire-kit.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
i guess i'll say something about shake-off cans again...you should have two coffe cans/paint tins...one to soak your poi, the other should have a drop in vegetable steamer...so, soak in one, drop your poi in the other and swing off the excess fuel...you can then pour the extra from the shakeoff can to the soak can..remember the frogs!!!

real eyes
realize
real lies

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

I use an old paint tin (well a new one actually I bought the cheapest paint I could find and threw the paint away) to dip my poi in when spinning when I'm done use a funnel to put all the excess paraffin back into the bottle then drop my poi heads in the tin.

1) Keeps the smell out paint tins are air tight.
2) Keeps your poi from drying out (e.g. forever soaked) (unproved myth that poi burn better if you keep them soaked)
3) Has a handle to carry your poi around.

*Hugs you loads*

all i need to do now is find a small metal paint tin,

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I'll have to do the local thing and agree with Tobi, I store my poi(Monkeys fists) pernamentally in a Kp Jar filled with parrafin the only time they are not soaked is when I'm transporting or spinning, I do need a paint tin but I'm not clogging up my drains like tobi did pouring the paint away, its the handle I'm jelous of plus a plastic bottle morph's over time as warm fists are placed in it so its now a strange shape not round at all!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
Written by: house_of_mill

I'll have to do the local thing and agree with Tobi, I store my poi(Monkeys fists) pernamentally in a Kp Jar filled with parrafin the only time they are not soaked is when I'm transporting or spinning, I do need a paint tin but I'm not clogging up my drains like tobi did pouring the paint away, its the handle I'm jelous of plus a plastic bottle morph's over time as warm fists are placed in it so its now a strange shape not round at all!

at the mo i'm using tupper wear, lol and when i get a paint tin i agree with you, so it just means i ahve to decorate a small part of my house, which i have no problem with, hehehe

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows