i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok so I have been playing around with some new stuff... finally been learning all this crazy isolation stuff (My God, you wanna learn how to clean up your plains try some of that stuff...), and I came up with some contact poi moves....

The first one is done in a weave pattern... it might be possible in a butterfly pattern but I think one would need to be able to do that crazy anti-spin stuff. Anyway, in wall plane, poi going clockwise (weave pattern), you begin by seperating the poi as if you were going to do a bounce wrap on your left wrist with the right poi. This should put the right poi coming up from under the left wrist. You want to give it a little bit of extra chain, wrapping closer to the center of the chain than the head. Now you have to let go of the right poi handle (giving it a little push will help a bit too, and should feel quite natural), and lift up your left arm in an L shaped arch (Wrist starts at the bottom, and moves up and to the right in an arch).

This will let the poi wrap around your left wrist several times, and if you get the right feel, you can let it contact wrap around your wrist as many times as you like. I'm up to 3 rotations right now. In addition, the wrap can then be transfered onto the right wrist, where you can then let the chain wrap outward (Oh this is hard to explain) so you end up holding the handle as before.

Essentially there are three parts: the entrace, the contact wrapping, and the exit. The exit on the regular move can just be grabbing the handle, or a smooth little toss and then grabbing the handle, etc. The second move requires a bit more finnesse more akin to the next move I'm gonna describe, as the exit is a little hairy.

This last contact move is a catch exit, but has applications through several families of moves. If you throw the poi, and catch by the head (Note, my handles are socks and so have a bit more weight than some handles..) you can let the chain wrap around your hand (for me, exactly twice) until the handle lands slap in the middle of your palm, and then you can just grab it and let go of the head so it undwinds. Essentially, you are switching the end of the poi you are holding. This can be done in both directions. And if you get decent at it (its really quite easy once you nail it) you don't have to wait until the handle hits your hand to let go of the head. You can just let the head touch your hand and do all of the contact work with the chain by moving the hand in little circles in the same plain as the spinning poi...

I've seen some of this stuff in a few videos, but neither one of these... The first one is especially cool cause you can do it under the leg, transfer between limbs, if your double jointed you can go between the legs and up over the back to the front... ya know... wink

Have I just been incommunicado for too long and missed someone else postin these kinds of things? I did a search and came up empty.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, thats all well and lovely, but hows about posting this [Old link] .

wink

No doubt everyone will continue to ignore me, as what usually happens when I politly comment about a multiple thread. So go ahead...

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ah my mistake. As I said I didn't see this post in my search results. Will move over to there.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Untimely Calculations Often Fail

Well, thats all well and lovely, but hows about posting this [Old link] .

wink

No doubt everyone will continue to ignore me, as what usually happens when I politly comment about a multiple thread. So go ahead...

UCOF, which guidelines will you be enforcing and which will you be ignoring this week? I have trouble keeping up. wink

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Ah my mistake. As I said I didn't see this post in my search results. Will move over to there."

hug

I feel all warm inside now.

That would probably be the jam....

NYC: Copies of the list of the rules that I shall be ignoring and enforcing, can be obtained from my secretary. Please send a letter, in writing, saying that you wish to join the mailing list that shall recieve the list. Be aware that we my contact you about special offers and things that may be of interest to you. Credit cards, windows, and a whole rainforest pf adverts, which of course, shall be sent in triplicate, as to ensure you get one copy.