KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
My big sister just got herself some Poi. So, I'm hoping that when she goes home she (and I) will kick ass at Poi and be able to spin some fire together. I'm sure that the rest of the family will get addicted to the craze (except my mother who hates anything to do with water/fire/high places/speed etc. We can prolly get our dad to make us some great fire Poi as well. Also persuaded my boyf. to take up Poi as well so that we can Poi together. He's not as enthusiastic as I am about it (yet!) so we have made a compromise that he can indulge in his passion (fishing) while I Poi.
Non-Https Image Link
Anyhow my question is, how many fire families out there are there? I know Pele's family are into fire.Do you perform as a family? Thinking perhaps, my family can become Ireland's fire version of 'The Corrs'! Kat------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well Kat, I wouldn't say "my family" is into it. My son is 6 and he spins as best as he can (and at the rate he's going he'll be kicking my butt in two years! smile). My show partner, Prometheus, is just a friend and only does staff/fire eating. I am the only one I know that does chains, poi, rope, etc. I think it's awesome if you can get your family into it. My family is not and never has been supportive of my performing in any aspect frown, and when I took up fire it simply added more resolve to that disdain. They don't come to my shows and I don't listen to them condemn me for it. They also disagree with my raising my son aound it but they realise I would ***never*** do anything to harm him in any way. There you go, it's my son and myself...and that is fine. When he is old enough to perform I will let him, if he wants. It will ultimately be his choice though, as I wouldn't force him into anything.I say go for it and make it the best damn family group that Irelands ever seen...better than the Corrs and Clannad put together!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
PeleSorry to hear that your family has not been supportive about your performing.I am frankly amazed that my mother has been o.k about my using fire, but I explained that as long as I took the necessary precaustions and wore non-flammable clothing it wasn't *very dangerous*, and how you were more at risk warming yourself by an open fire wearing a rayon nightdress. However, I am not trying to make a living performing and I'm sure my family would advise me 'don't quit your day job'. Although I think if it was a choice between a 'real' job in Japan and a performing job in Ireland, my family would be supportive of the latter.I however think, that I couldn't survive on performing Poi alone, that is when I get good enough to charge people to see me perform.At the moment, I am just chuffed to be able to Poi and have no intention of making money out of it. Anyhow Pele, it would be cool if your son grows up and wants to perform alongside his mum, and think it is great that you are in an occupation that you clearly love. If I find my *calling*, I hope I will have the courage to follow it too.
Non-Https Image Link
Kat ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
My family aren't into fire but they are supportive, if a litte paranoid of me performing.My parents have been very impressed with my fire performance when I go home from Uni and put on shows for friends and they've even managed to get me some paid performance organised.They do worry though! My mum hates me doing any fire breathing. I think they think I'll end up burnt to a crisp one day. They even bought me a fire extinguisher and fire blanket the other day!I am probably one of the most careful performers I know though. I always keep a damp towel with me along with a full first aid kit. Luckily I've never had to use it.