Forums > Technical Discussion > fibre optic staff - would it work?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
if you took a small tube of any material, preferably one of some strength, and had an LED at each end with a power source in the middle, and connected to each end of the small tube was a clear or slightly frosted tube of perspex, acryllic or any kind of plastic, with fibre optic wire layered on the inside of the tube with shorter lengths along the inside sides of the tube and longer lengths in the middle, giving a step like effect as you got towards the middle, and hopefully producing lots and lots of little lights down each tube.

do you think this would work?
any ideas or problems anyone can find would be greatfully accepted as this may become my GCSE design and technology project

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
It might work, but I think it's gonna be very difficult to get it stong. Also fiber glass snaps really easy. Good luck anyway, if it works it wil probably look very cool smile

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

MidianThe Fairy Of Things That Go Bump In The Night ;)
188 posts

Posted:
If It Does Work Its Gunna Look TOP! ubbrollsmile

oOo Look At The Pretty Fire.. oOo Touch The Pretty Fire oO.. OWW THE PRETTY FIRE BURNT ME!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
thats pretty much teh same tech thatthe glow bug and electro glow systems uses, i have done some research into thi stype of toy, and belive me its a lot harder than it sounds

Step (el-nombrie)

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i got the difficulty part of it, hence why it'd make a good GCSE project. plus theres a D T teacher for any small problems ubbrollsmile

188 posts

Posted:
yea but if u bugger it up bye bye goes the GCSE.. not sayin u will bugger it up tho.. u probebly wont just saying it could happen

oOo Look At The Pretty Fire.. oOo Touch The Pretty Fire oO.. OWW THE PRETTY FIRE BURNT ME!

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
no.. no way.

gcse is marked on the quality of the paperwork that goes with it.

trust me i got an A in the design and technology course and my final product did not work.

sounds like a good one though, maybe not staff poi would be easier to make... but you gotta make 2.

agree with mech though. looks easy , actually really really hard

make it switchable to strobe and flash different colours, thats your difficult circut design. once you got that and all the design and theory that goes with it (how you worked out the transistor values etc) your well on your way.

then all you need to do it workout how to make it possible to change batteries , have acess to switches while sealing the whole thing and shockprooofing it amazingly.

as you can see i have put some thought into this, the current theory is to make a silicone mould to coat all the pcbs and stuffwhich is bouncy and shockproof.

good having gcse euipment, you shopuld be able to computer design your circut and have that converted to pcb hardware for you

proper designs to be posted on here just after february wehn i get my workshop space and start turning out the wierdest spinning stuff ever comprehended

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

qnaSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hi Havokist

My alter-ego during the day is a DT teacher in London. You got a good idea, if you ask me, and I also agree with originalsmit that it is better to incorporate some more advanced curcuitry to show the examiner working knowledge of materials and electronics.

Personally, I would say lose the fibre-optics and rather focus on some super-bright Luxeon LEDs with some strobing. Research a bike LED light circuit. After all, it does exactly that - strobes, constant light etc.

I reckon you should do it since to get materials and workshop space after you leave school will be a problem. I am currently working on a similar project in my spare time, and am planning to use acryclic tube with some method of shock absorption built-in. I don't fully know yet. But I do know that sooo many things that I want to get are only available in small amounts through school suppliers.

Another reason I say to definitely do this is because it is something you want to do and are interested in. That makes all the diference between losing steam halfway.

Searchy this forum for the 'Gren Destiny' staff made by Moseph. Very cool, and he is very forthcoming with his ieas and processes.

Have fun and let us know your progress.

Have you ever noticed the resemblance between Mr Miyagi and Yoda...mmmm...strange this is...

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i have been thinking over x mas between all the drinking, and it does make sense to drop the fibre optics, as it would just be a HUGE hassle. i might just see if i can fit 3 or 4 luxeon LED's in at each side of the battery and try to figure a way of having it so which LED that is on changes through-out the time of having the staff on.

thanks for your help everyone biggrin

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Fluffy Napalm Fairy made herself a pair of glowstaffs a few years ago. You could try getting in touch with her about where to get tubes and frosting stuff etc cheaply...

She got the LEDs from a company called Pure Flame is Australia. And I found the rubber stoppers that she put on the staff ends in B&Q.

Not sure if that helps you any?

Meh

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
well the prices and stuff wouldnt really be a problem, seeing as my school should pay for it all biggrin

but it helps to know just incase, thanks dude thankx

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I think the fibre optics is a lovely idea, and I'm going to have a play as soon as I get home biggrin

I don't think there is too much voodo in fibre optics; I had a little battery powered handheld spray (that cost about £2 in a theme park when I was 12 or something wink ) and it was just a bulb shining into the ends of a load of fibres of different lengths.

I think that if you take an LED, sand down the lens so that it's flat, and then glue a bundle of fibres onto the end, they should light up lovely. Then you can put all the complicated stuff in a lump in the middle and just have two clear plastic tubes sticking out of it to contain the fibres. That might make the weight a bit funny, but I'm sure you could find a way to adjust that.

It's a fair bit harder and much more cool than what I did for my DT GCSE. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
BTW, just found these guys:

https://www.universal-fibre-optics.com/flash.html

Their stuff would be lovely for what I've been doing (it would make great diffuser elements), and might be good for your project - something like the "sparkle sideglow"...

monkeys ate my brain

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
thanks for that mo-seph, the site helped, but the LED would have to be REALLY powerfull for it to really work.

i ownder if my school would have any luxeon LED's in...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm sure your school would supply things more readily if you found them a cheap supplier though...

Meh

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
good point, but then again, i'm on a scholarship at a rich kid school... tongue

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Interesting stuff.. that's one b**** of a website you found there Mo - must've taken some time to make a site that awkward to navigate!

For a decent LED supply here in the UK, try https://www.led-lights.co.uk/]Led-Lights[/url].
I've had stuff off them before and it's always top notch. 4 of their super-bright blue's power the LED units you see in my avatar smile

Cake or Death?

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
thanks dude biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
no problems.. I like your sig by the way - I love that poem / film!

Cake or Death?

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
this is a bit offtopic but anyway

i came across it in an english lesson and it jumped out of the page at me sorta thing, might've been cause of the cough syrup makin me drousy, but still, when i heard it on eaquilibrium it was like yeah biggrin \m/

lol

thanks for the advice biggrin

188 posts

Posted:
got any further with your idea chuck?!? i think that if you can do it you definatly should!

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
im waitin til i see my DT teacher again then ill see

188 posts

Posted:
fair enuff tongue

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Okay what you need to do is go to the electrical wholesaler and ask for clear 20mm (or 16 pending on what you like )conduit (1 or 2 lengths ) . Probally have to order it in

If your really lucky they might have certain fibre optic gear there

Ask your local electronic suppiler for those hand held lazers apx 5 cm in length . you should be able to fix lazer in with silicone (as its clear and fixes anything ).

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
thanks biggrin

188 posts

Posted:
havokist.. .what year are you in in school now?!?

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
10, doin gcse next year, hence why i've gotta figure out what im doing pretty soon

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im glad to help whenever i can.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
ummm....okay i promise i don't work for these guys...i just love their stuff!!....www.neonhusky.com...frickin beautiful...

real eyes
realize
real lies

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
lol, ok, thanks biggrin

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
i've figured out, that fibre optics shouldnt be a problem due to the school tech dept. having them in masses, so i'm gonna give it a try, plus if i have them how i want, then when the staff is still or moving very slowly, then it'll be lots of little dots of light, but as it moves quicker, it should go into a blur of colour smile

Page: