Forums > Social Chat > Do you think you know what Poi is???

Login/Join to Participate

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
...and just when i finally thought i figured out what Poi is really about i came across this; i wonder if there's any connection; check out this link if you are really bored smile: https://www.thepoicompany.com/whatispoi1.htmli
also wonder if it's flammable... hehe grin be happy, eat Poi, winkSimos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 12 March 2001).]

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
ROTFLMAO!!!where'd you find that?------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually I get asked that alot here..it's common in the U.S...and it's icky tasting! I've heard it more commonly referred to as PoiPoi though.Isn't it funny??????I'll take the chains over the pudding anyday....however if anyone wants the recipe, I have it.*still giggling*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
it's truly nasty stuff, lemme tell you!that's how the whole thing started, though: (the history is posted somewhere though i don't remember where now.) but the maori chicks used to smash tar'o plants tied to long stemmy leaves against rocks to make it into poi (which is like mashed tar'o). chicks being the creative sort, they got all fancy with it, and boom - they were spinning poi. the men though it looked like fun and instantly turned it into combat training for the warriors and poof - fire!so there ya go...incidenatlly - i just sent them an email, since on their website they say that only hawai'ians make poi (clearly not true!) and also offered OUR definition for poi! i referred them here... wink[This message has been edited by ykaterina (edited 12 March 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
taiguy - i was just searching for new Poi websites and i came across 'The Poi Company' - it sounded really dedicated to Poi from their name so i got so excited, i clicked on the link and voila!!! at least i had a good laugh!Pele & ykaterina you had me on the floor on this one...Pele on one hand has not only heard about this, but also has the recipe for it too!!! smile ...and ykaterina send them an email (!!!) to kindly point them towards the right direction (hehe meaning fire poi that is) grin... hey perhaps you could post their reply, i bet it'd be very funny... Poi people unite and swing your puddings...(what???)happy swinging,Simos[This message has been edited by Simos (edited 12 March 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Idea!!!!!!Instead of spinning bowls of flaming fuel for meteors...how about bowls of Poi???? grinWouldn't that just give it all a new definition?????? *g*------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
When I *discovered* Poi, this was the first site I hit. Luckily I persevered and found this site otherwise I'd prolly be spinning pudding right now. ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i *really* hope they write back!i will totally post the reply - stay tuned! smilehere's what i sent them, by the way:Subject: inaccuracy on your websitehey - so the site is really great and the product looks fun. i dated a hawai'ian once and couldn't stomach the stuff, but made into ice cream i think i would love it!anyway, the website says, on page whatispoi1.html "Can you find poi everywhere...only the hawaiian people make poi"that's not actually true. the maori also make poi. in fact, there is one other definition to what is poi: ancient maori women took tar'o root and tied it to long stemmy leaves, and beat it against rocks to mash it up to make poi. you can imagine it was a boring task, and they got creative about swinging it around. the men in the tribe saw that and started using it for coordination training for their warriors by having them spin it around while it was set on fire. that tradition is still around, all over the world now. check it out at, for example, www.jugling.co.nz. mos of us use some sort of chain or cable, and attach a falmmable ballish-shaped "wick" to the end. the wick itself is what's set on fire, and it's referred to as poi. it's really cool to watch...anyway, cheers! and happy poi-ing!-katja[This message has been edited by ykaterina (edited 13 March 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
grin ROTFLMAO grin good one ykaterina... wink since you don't like the taste, you could have at least ask them if they think it can be used as fuel though??happy swinging and keep us posted wink,Simos

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
WHAT THE>peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe: