SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Tech question.

I'm trying to view the videos on the HoP site here, but they never seem to work for me. .avi, .wmv nor anything else will download nor work. Is there a protocol or a plugin I should have before it'll work?

thanks!

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Some of the video links on the site are old and broken. You have to dig around a bit to find good ones. You should be able to view just about every type of video file found here with either Windows Media Player or the divX player. (https://www.divx.com/divx/windows/)

Hope that helps.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
if you struggle with WMV formats then you will need to goto microsoft and download the codec pack for series 9 media player, you should then be able to view files.
i used to struggle viewing divx untill i got a copy of the divx 5.2 codec and installed it, now i can view every thing apart from mpeg4 files.

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's what I'm getting. I click on the "latest video" in the top bar. I go to the HoP gallery, click on the latest video (https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/7009meteor_3.avi) and I get this :

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found."

Is there a file error in this? Or is my computer just in need of an application of "large hammer"?

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
you need codecs

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
when your in media player... click on help, and select check for player updates.
media player will then download any updated players to your system and install them for you, this will also come with the latest codec install.

or you can manually download the codec installation from microsoft by clicking>>HERE<< for your current OS.

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
I've tried that too. Nada. Still won't play the videos.

**sigh** I don't want to re-install Win. Media again... Ahh well. It's all cool in the end. smile

IfritBRONZE Member
The GF of HoP
492 posts

Posted:
have you tried downloading the avi player from divX.com rather than just the codecs?

fire leads to creation

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Haven't tried that yet, but I've got the divX in there already... hrmph... I'll keep beating it with a stick 'till it fixes itself. smile

Happy hollidays all!