Forums > Help! > where to practice with fire?

Login/Join to Participate

danarosenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
i had my first burn at home the other day...i went down the street to a parking lot, but eventually got kicked out because its private property. any advice on finding places to practice with fire where people can't make me leave? or how to negotiate with authorities so i dont have to? i don't know what jurisdiction my local police/fire dept have shrug

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire."

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
well here is just one idea that i use, in Australia. If ur any good and want an audience, go down to the local beach or park where there a few passers by. It always makes u feel good wen someone walks past absoultly mesmerised by what you can do wif your fire. and if its a chick always a good topic starter. lol.

well if you dont like the public thing, try going down to an inclosed beach or park, until you feel confident enough to go around showing off your talent.

Good luck!

I can't wait to die, I'm going to Hell. They have fire down there!

Jai - Staffmember
85 posts

Posted:
Just one more thing, im pretty sure that the police/fire department cant kick you out of a beach or park because you are twirling unless u are endangering others. and as long as u dont have a hat infront of u wif coins in it (at least not wen they aint around).

I can't wait to die, I'm going to Hell. They have fire down there!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I usually spin on private property where I know the owner and have their permission. Some nosey uptight people may still call the police\fire department on you but the chances are slim. As Jai - Staff said, the beach is always a good place.

Make sure you have all your safety gear and a spotter with you. Read all of the fire safety articles and posts here. That way, if the police\fire department do show up, you can prove to them your competence and they will most likely leave you alone. They may even stay for a while to watch smile
EDITED_BY: mtbeer (1103815304)

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
for the whole anti busking thing, you could always have your fuel tin there. if people want to put coins in, good on them. but its your fuel tin wink

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Local parks, beaches ect. Pretty much all of whats been said really. Or, jsut go somewhere start doing it. Then if the police come try and nogotiate with them. Or ask them where's the best place to go as they will know all the laws on all the scraps of land and such smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto If the police bust you ask them for their help finding somewhere decent to play in. They are there to serve and should be more than happy to help but if they are ignorant and unhelpful simply report them to their superiors.

Good luck finding a nice place!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

AntiwormGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
i was just stopped after a burn in the park outside my friends house (it's basically his front yard). Apparently a neighbor complained that we were "flinging fire around". i was pretty surprised because we have been spinning fire there for about 3 months with no problem. i explained to the officer what it was and showed our safety equipment etc. He was convinced that we knew what we were doing but still wasn't quite sure what it was we were doing. He said that it was ok but pointed out that in our community no one is allowed in public parks after sunset. He politely suggested that if there was another place that we could go, then we could spin fire there. i immediately suggested that we go to my friends driveway about 20 feet away and he agreed that that was ok. He then asked for my name just to make a record of whom he talked to and asked again what exactly what it was we were doing. After finding out that he had never heard of the Maori, i mentioned Polynesia and Hawaii and his face lit up in recognition; He had seen poi at a Luau once. So we packed up our stuff to move to the driveway, he wished us a safe and good night and we wished the same for him and he then left.
i was pretty nervous talking to him but i'm glad that he was so cooperative.
Sorry to sort of hijack this thread with a long entry; just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Just go everywhere, see what the most public place you can get away with is wink

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying