Forums > Social Chat > Going to the full moon party/thailand

Login/Join to Participate

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
Hey everybody .. well it's been about a year since I've been here.. As it turned out i started seeing this girl and it just ended frown So here i am dragging my sorry shattered shell of my former self back to HoP..Seems to be a lot of new faces.. and aaaaaahhh yes the ever present demi god "lightning"... So anyway to escape a lonely Christmas in the drudgery that is korea, I booked a last minute flight to thailand to go to the full moon pary biggrin .. I've been to Thailand before but not to the party.. Has anyone been to this thing?? Are there many spinners there?? Oh ya i get to Ko Samui 9PM on Christmas day and it seems all the holtels are booked up biggrin Anybody know of anywhere Cheap i can stay?? I would hate to wake up on the beach with a coconut pillow..... hmmmm actually that doesnt sound that bad.... but a bed would be better smile.. anywho any pointers would be great.. Peace out

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Hey man!! How're you?? glad to see you're still alive!

Have fun at that fullmoon party... Thailand!! Someday, maybe!! Sorry though, can't make it wink

Hope all is well with ya!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ohhhh. Have fun.

I think the main full moon party is on Koh Phan Ngan, the next island over to Koh Samui. It's on Haad Rien beach (I think?!). I stayed on the next beach across Haad Tien... but that was in January and my memory doesn't work so well biggrin

Just turn up as soon as you can with a bit of spare cash and wander about until you get a place. The beach I stayed on can only be accessed by boat... but I'm sure they'll have places!

Have fun.

hug

PS: oops, meant to say... be careful, the full moon parties are notoriously crazy and people always end up really damaging themselves (apparently there's a death every other month). Expect thousands of people on a very small beach as out of their faces as you will ever see. By dawn, there will be bodies everywhere, and sadly, lots of rubbish and bottles floating in the sea (along with many people peeing in it). Most people I spoke to say they're glad they saw it, but wouldn't go back. I stayed where I was during the full moon (on the next beach across) with a big group of fire people and we had our own fantastic party... but by all means go and have fun... just take care ubbrollsmile

(and do the good thing and help with the clear up the next day! We all went down to help the Thai guys clear the bottles that washed up onto the beach).
EDITED_BY: Firepoise (1103753719)

Getting to the other side smile

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
Cool .. thanks.. well im sure that when i get there there must be some place SOMEWHERE.. but it is peak season..:D jeez i hope 2000 years from now parents don't tell stories to there kids on christmas about the wise man stebbins who couldn't find room at the inn biggrin... STEBBINS 3:16 "He camith with the intent to get messed upith" biggrin

I'll let you know how it was when i get back...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hey stebboins, i got back from thailand in may, i went to the full moon party and i had an ace time, and that was when i first got into fire spinning after seeing it on the beach. you will surely see people spinning there,on the beach so just look around for the flames smile

on koh samuii i would recommend going to chaweng, which is on the far east side of the island, there is loads of accomodation there i would suggest chaweng chalets, however it is now the on season so prices have gone up, but will still be good value, when on koh phan ngan for the full moon party on Haad Rin beach i would suggest actually staying a good 2 miles or more from the beach, i stayed near the south west of the island and still had amazing fun, there are sorta open trucks that are EVERYWHERE literally every 10 seconds on the road called songthaews and for 50 baht (about 80pence) they'll take you to the party and dont worry its just as easy getting back.

at the party have lots of fun but be careful! they r undercover policemen absolutely everywhere so on this night i would really really recommend not doing drugs as the penalty in thailand really isnt worth it (one of the strictest countries around) there were 2 deaths when i went, i think they were drownings so dont go swimming especially if u think u can fly smile

remember have lots of fun!!!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
My sentiments are similar to Firepoise have fun, but be careful.

I haven’t been to Thailand for years, but I gather there has been a change to a stricter Government. We got the night boat to Ko Sumi, ran into someone with this huge scorpion bite, and got the next boat to Koh Phan Ngan, the second island, which I really liked and vowed to go back. Didn’t make a full moon party, Had Rin is on the dark side wink I’m sure you could hire a trail bike and ride in if you wanted. The next island out is Ko Tao, and you used to be able to travel from there back to the mainland.

Cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
I'll be going there on the 26th but with a few doubts and after reading the above posts even more.

I've also been disapointed in the lack of spinners i've met? Have only met some loverly people in bangkok but none after. (apart from a sexy french girl but she couldn't speak english and I can't speak french so we just span)

**Apoligises in advance for shouting**

"SPINNERS IN THAILND! WHERE ARE YOU?"

Places to stay... I'm staying in a place called Great Bay resort on the North western top bit of the island. Quite out of the way of the main party beach "Hat Rin" but quiye pleasent. 200 baht for a bungalow for a night.\ with shower and flushing toilet!

Costs around 100 baht to get to "hat rin" in a taxi and as someone said it's not hard to get a taxi. stand in the midle of the road and you'll get hit by one soon enought*

* Note I'm not advocating catching taxis by standing in the middle of the road and am not respobnsible for any injurys in attepmting to catch them this way!

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
i'd definetly advise going to koh tao especially if you can dive, i did it there and it was fantastic and where i first saw fire spinning sitting on a beach watching lightning over the sea. you go from Thong Sala on the south west coast of koh pha ngan to Koh Tao and takes about 45mins by boat and is definetly the easiest way to get back to the mainland and bangkok, from koh tao you get the boat to Chumphon on the mainland and from there easiest way is a coach or train for about 200 baht or so to bangkok, bargain!!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

*poppy*BRONZE Member
27 posts

Posted:
I went to a couple of full moon partys last year, wouldn't make a huge effort to do it again, it's really crazy fun but kinda sad to see all the rubbish and drunks wreaking the beach. If you want to see spinner they won't be out during the party itself, too many people around plus most of them will be busy working in bars, but go down to the beach the next night and there should be lots of firey fire! That's when the thai guys chill out a bit and have some fun after the crowds have gone. Everyone's welcome to go and spin with them but be warned they're very competitive! and very good smile

Oh and don't stay near the beach if you want to sleep at all, the other side of the bay is far better value and safer.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
yeh dont bring any valuables wiht you and any valuables in your room hide well or lock in a safe if you have one cos the full moon party is a night where thieves are everywhere!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Let us know that you're okay!

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
Well let me say that the full moon party saved my life!!!! i was supposed to go to meet my friend in Puket the day before.. When the wave hit i was swimming at beach on Ko Samui.. but it there was no party that night i would have been at the Puket Beach and i would be one dead stebbins! my friend who went there told me he got there late and there were bodies being haulded off in pickup trucks everywhere. It could have so easily been me in a truck that it creeps me out to think about.. after the wave hit all the tourist who survived flew to all the uneffected areas ( my island) so there was nowhere for many people to sleep.. i know lots of people spent there nights on thhe beach..

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh thank god you let us know Stebbins. We were worried about you!

I'm glad you made it through ok. How's things in Thailand at the minute?

Are tourists going to help out? How are the Thai people?

Take care of yourself, and I'm glad you're ok

Clare x

Getting to the other side smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
So happy to hear you're okay!!! smile

Phat JBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Fate is an incredible thing that we take for granted.
Best Regards to one and all
Peace to all the unfortunate people who met an untimley end.

Phat J

When faced with the inevitable, you MUST face the inevitable.

"The All Nighter"
surf film with that girl from The Bangles.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
171 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys.. in answer to your questions Fireposie... Im actually back in cold ass korea now frown im miss Thailand.. and ya when i was there all the hotels were gathering food/clothes/money donations from all the tourist.. It really is a sad thing for the Thai people.. not only did they lose alot of there own but this happened in peak season.. Thailand relies on there tourism to pull in money.. and they only have a few months of the year to really pull in the big coin.. So i think this is going to have a long term effect on them..

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
glad you are ok... Get everyone you know to donate some cash... it all helps the people in asia re build their shatered lives.. what a terible disaster....

The full moon parties are great places to go an show off and learn new stuff... the warnings about drugs are well worth looking at. You can stay anywhere in the island and getting a taxi or 2 to the partys is no problem (except when it rains hard) you can even get a boat from bottle beach in the north if you want..

girls.. whatch out for drink spiking... same as anywhere else in the world..
expect from 2 to 10 thousand people to be heading there so get to the island about a week before the party and get settled... for really chilled or romatic places ... try had yao in the north east... seaflower on the west coast... if you want more lively go south of thong sala. If you stay anywhere near the party areas check out you hut properly... i stayed in one where the door had been busted so many times that it was not worth locking...

As the night goes on the mushroom bars up the top of the hills are a good place to visit.. (not advocating drugs,, it a good view and chill out area.... honest...) on the beach... whatch out for the tide... to comes in and the resturants have to move the tables... and you...

last of all... keep your money on yaou and party hard... its worth it... drink a bucket for me....

peace grouphug

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...