Dr NickSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
so,
going to confest i hear,
me too.

Ill be the one with the fire....

ubbrollsmile

The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
- Infected Mushroom "The Missed Symphony"

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
NO!

I know this is rather disconcerting, but I’m boycotting ConFest this year, and perhaps forever.

I don’t agree with the organizers decision to close the market. I felt the market made ConFest like a village, and it was central to the community, that ConFest was. I’m not into all this survivalist crap.

Instead I’m going Tribadelic, if they finally find a site.

PM me if you want to discuss this issue.

frown

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Dr NickSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
I have personally enjoyed the commerce free option as it brings out the generosity. I spent a week in the middle of the desert and wanted for nothing. The very act of giving is reward enough. If people want to move form the consumer world it will take wee experiments like ConFest, White Cliffs and Burning Man.
soapbox
Nice view from up here.....

Hope you got all the new toys you wanted for Christmas.

I got a pile of MANGOS, and yes that is what I wanted.

I like mangos ok....

Dr nick

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Personally, I think of ConFest as an alternative life style festival, not a survivalist festival where people areexpected to rub two sticks together to make “fire” for one of the official community fires.

From the mid to late 1990s the place absolutely rocked. It was like a meeting of the tribes. There was much sharing, a market to sell and barter, hide tee pees and an assortment of weird and wonderful people telling stories, teaching stuff like juggling/tightrope/fire twirling and other circus type skills. Everyone put in, and did something special to make it a great experience which contributed to the great vibe.

IMO, all this back to the basics, goes against the grain of confest. They tried it a few years ago with “earth quest” of sumthing, and it failed.

The market was like a village, and central to the community, that confest was.

Each to their own smile
EDITED_BY: Stone (1104120477)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I was not happy with my last post, so I’ll try again soapbox

Of course I’ll get on my soap box. I love confest. I learnt to fire twirl at confest.

ConFest is as an alternative life style festival, not a survivalist festival. IMO, the market made confest a village; a unique haven away from the mainstream, where a diverse range of alternative type people could meet, eat and drink, talk and exchange ideas. I found the market central to the community, that confest was.

Perhaps, we could all share communal kitchens, as THEY suggest. But this may not appeal to everyone, or even happen given the array of different souls that come to confest. Do you remember when members of the “Highwayman” motor cycle gang rocked up to confest? They mixed in the market, but remained secluded at their campsite.

And what pray tell is wrong with commerce? Is it a free festival? Are the stalls free? NO. ConFest charge $50 admission and $400 stall fees. When will people get over this 70’s commerce is bad rubbish. Doesn’t happen! Many alternative lifestyle people use their artistic talents to help pay the bills, and would depend on festivals like confest to sell their creations, because people attending confest like these wares. Is this wrong?

Perhaps “giving is reward enough”, but it doesn’t put food on the table. And people DO give at confest. Look at all the workshop. Why is it then that some people associate giving with “material” objects? This I feel undervalues the sharing of knowledge or skills.

Confest grew into what it is, probably from a fairly basic communal type festival. It had a life of its own, it grew, it matured. Why why chop down an "old growth forest"? Re-birthing doesn’t work for every one. Anyhow, they tried this with survivalist thing with earth quest, and it didn’t work. Why try and turn back time to a place that doesn’t exist, and in the process destroying what does exist? Now, I hope u understand how I feel, and why I don’t want to see something great, destroyed by a few military types who are trying to turn confest into a survivalist festival. Think I’m making that up? PM.

soapbox soapbox soapbox

soapbox soapbox

soapbox
EDITED_BY: Stone (1104122525)

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Lemme guess....over 18 right?

I'd go if I was 18.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
I miss Confest. My boyfriend quit drugs a couple of years ago, and confest isn't the sort of place to go when you want to avoid drugs. if i went he'd get jealous and want to join me, and I don't want either of us to be put in that situation. But oh, I miss it. Anyone who reads this after they come back please share some lovely confest stories to let me experience it vicariously. oh, and for the record, I love the market biggrin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
No xabandonedx, it's all ages. kids are welcome and contribute much to confest. It’s just for a non-commercial venture, they have introduced a $5 charge for u 16’s for the first time.

Interesting name myco. There was a problem, and while I don’t agree with the tactics the organizers used, drugs are only a small part of confest now. Certainly, not like the big raves. Will happily swap stories about Moama

hehe

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
-cough- EARTHCORE -cough-

Too many drugs there!

Hmm then a 17 year old like me can tag along....maybe I will rock up.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Dr NickSILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
yeh

The vibe at earth core was like a clock going up and down as every one popped pilz for the "big name DJ's". It looked like a prison camp around dawn as every one finaly came down.

Still It had Its moments.

Finding a nice boat and going for a quiet row up the river and then drifting down with my thoughts was one I will cherish. Its been at least 6 months since my last row and before that it was most weekends.

Life never gives me what I expect,
Thank god...