Forums > Social Chat > anyone for a drink of absinth

Login/Join to Participate

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
OKAY i herd this stuff is banned almsot everywhere.
something about wormwood which is dangerous shite
anyway is the stuff leagal in AUSTRALIA.
seeing since i am 17 and 1 more year untill i can drink.
so tell me...
whats it like

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
A green militant moonshine of a drink, guaranteed insane night out!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
ooooo, it'll get you right out of your tree!!!!!
But also leave you minty fresh....
Like gargling mouth wash with a hell of an after kick, which, of course is a bonus!!!!!
Oh, another good one is Grolshlarger it's a spirit that tastes of anaseed and has tiny pieces of glass in it that cut the back of your throat so that the alcohol gets in quicker.....EVIL!!!!!!

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
I haven't had it before, but it is really dangerous. I remember about a year or 2 ago, an 18 year old who didn't really drink much, died after it, don't know how much he had though, must have been more than one shot.

Your meant to drink it with suger and a spoon.

The bigger the pants the better!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Allegedly, Van Gough (sp?) had been drinkig Absinth before he cut his ear off - that should either give you an indication of how potent absinth is, or how mental Van Gough was

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Just after I had done a set with my wire wool cages in the stone circle @ Glastonbury some random girl came over to me with a bottle of Absinth, a shot glass and gave me a shot of absinth for the performance

Blew my head off a little but I liked it as for the legality side in Australia I am not sure but you might be able to ask at a local off liscence and see if they can order some in. I know some pubs in th UK do sell it but I dont know if you can buy it at an off liscence or not.

Mark P

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
help/warning

you can buy absinth from tesco, however it's not 'the real thing' / as a lot of the active ingredient (whatever it is) has been removed, that is the case with all easily available absinth (I believe), so it's no where near as potent as it once was.

if you plan to do absinth I recommend doing just absinth as when I mixed (over the course of the evening) vodka, beer, tequila, champagne & absinth at an office christmas party I nearly lost my job.

I also woke up in a police cell with none of my stuff, bruised and battered all over and with a, to be discovered 3 days later, broken hand.

I was just lucky I had put my travel card in my trouser pockets

Shame I lost my CD player when I eventually got my stuff back though

edit - this is also one of the reasons I don't get really drunk anymore, I do drink but only a little.

[ 03 August 2002, 00:57: Message edited by: sub ]

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
glad everything turned out alright in the end sub

Mark P thinks about how well all those drinks would go together, grabs a pint glass and some ice then realises he dosent have any of the other ingredients

What would be a good name for this cocktail?

maybe : Hari Kari !!!!!

Joking aside listen to the words of someone who has learnt from their mistakes and make sure you have some fun

Mark P

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Trippy Hippy:
Oh, another good one is Grolshlarger it's a spirit that tastes of anaseed and has tiny pieces of glass in it that cut the back of your throat so that the alcohol gets in quicker.....EVIL!!!!!!
Slight correction - It has flakes of Gold in it (really) that is desinged to act as a catalyst on your stomach lining - not glass. That would be silly. And it tastes of cinnamon, not aniseed. Nearly right though

I've got very wrecked on Absinth before, tastes like moutwash as everyone says. In the UK you can buy it in pubs and bars (about £5 a shot) and shops but this is the weaker stuff (only 87% proof). The proper stuff is pseudo-illegal, I think you can buy it in Amsterdam but wouldn't swear to it.

Check out https://www.absinth.com
to find out more.

Oh and it isn't reccomended as your first legal drink...

[ 03 August 2002, 03:02: Message edited by: Durbs ]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
Come to my absinthe bar at Burning Man. I will explain all the history and chemistry of this legendary liquor. I will teach you how to make your own, and I will give you some to sample.
Times: 4-5 pm Tuesday through Friday

Maximus
(twenty-three days to go...)
Oh, and Goldschlager has a cinnamon taste, not anise, and those little flecks are harmless bits of gold flake, not glass splinters. C'mon, guys.

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I stand corrected..... But whats this about £5 a shot where you go drinking????, go to a Weatherspoons freehouse there £1.50 a shot!!!!

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:

sounds like 3 type of absinth out there, real stuff, semi-real(£5 a shot stuff?) and tripe-for-the-masses which is what most people in the UK can get hold of.

I have tried absinth since, err, that first time and it does taste very strongly of aniseed, quite harsh IMHO.

I believe that the NIN video for 'The Perfect Drug' features Mr. Reznor dabbling with absinth. Just one of those handy facts.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Apperently absinth has been legalized in canada. I know of one place that sells it in edmonton, however I don't know if it is the real stuff (I've been told it is) or one of the toned down alternatives.

And yes, the perfect drug is absinth according to NIN. Had a friend ask me if I knew where to get drugs once (refering to absinth) because he saw it on that video and had heard that it was good at promoting creativity. Aspiring artist and all.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Zeekmember
14 posts

Posted:
If any of you have seen the movie From Hell with Johnny Depp, then you have seen someone taking absinth. It is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I went to a schnapps museum in Vienna where they make the stuff and there are certain things you have to do to it in order to drink it. YOu can't just drink it straight from the bottle. I don't believ that the true form of it is legal in Australia, as one of the guys on our tour wanted to buy it and take it back to Aus, so the guy selling it said that he would have to give the guy a sticker to stick over the original so that he could get it into the country, because of the % of alcohol.

When life gives you lemons,make lemonade!!

Zeekmember
14 posts

Posted:
If any of you have seen the movie From Hell with Johnny Depp, then you have seen someone taking absinth. It is very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I went to a schnapps museum in Vienna where they make the stuff and there are certain things you have to do to it in order to drink it. YOu can't just drink it straight from the bottle. I don't believ that the true form of it is legal in Australia, as one of the guys on our tour wanted to buy it and take it back to Aus, so the guy selling it said that he would have to give the guy a sticker to stick over the original so that he could get it into the country, because of the % of alcohol.

When life gives you lemons,make lemonade!!

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
i had absinth in prague...not sure if it was the real stuff or not...

the story goes:

after one shot: you see things a little differently
after two: you see them how you want to see them
after three: you see things how they really are, and thats the scariest part

i had four and i was fine...wierd...felt like i had had four shots of anything...rum...vodka..whatever..
the little pixie i was with had five herself and she seemd to be comfy

it is a bit strong and i actually recommend sipping a glass of water too during the night to minimize hangovery feelings

and when i had it i took a spoon full of sugar and got it damp with absinth, then lit it on fire...when the sugar was burning real nice i throw it into the glass and stir fast and slam it down!!

thats the way i was taught anyway...what a night that turned into!

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This is a copy of a post I put on another thread. I'm just throwing it out here because it seems to be relevant and, besides, I put a lot of work into this post.
------------------------------------------

Absinthe is a liquor that contains an extract of wormwood. It can be a number of colors from red to greeen. It has a bitter, licorice-like taste.
Wormwood extract, which contains a chemical called "thujone" which is thought to be chemically related to THC, but it does not interact with the same receptors in the brain(1). Instead, thujone seems to block receptors for a neurotransmitter called GABA.(2) It is not known how this blockade leads to the perceived effects of thujone. It is interesting to note that GHB activates the same receptors that thujone blocks, so thujone alone might be predicted to have the opposite effects.(3)

Thujones are certainly neurotoxic in large amounts and do accumulate in the body over time with repeated use. That said, the doses used in animal toxicity studies were much higher than an occasional absynthe drinker might expect. (4) It is likely that Vincent van Gogh, who is thought to have suffered from absinthe toxicity, was a severe addict who consumed massive quantities of the liquor.(5) Given that countless people have enjoyed absinthe in moderation (certainly less than one drink a day) with no apparent ill-effects and that ancient healers used thujone medicinally(6), it is probably reasonable to assume that light use is relatively safe, barring unforseen sensitivities in the drinker such as allergies.

An important thing to know about absinthe is that thujone is metabolized in the liver (7), so if you are taking any medications that are metabolized in your liver (ask your doctor), you should not drink absynthe.

Finally, alcohol is a diuretic, so be careful about drinking absinthe on the Playa.

Absinthe typically has a very high alcoholic content (often 75% or higher). You should NEVER drink it straight. Not only would this be nasty, but it could make you very sick.
Instead, I normally fill a drinking glass with ice. I then measure out a shot glass full of absinthe and pour it into the drinking glass. Then, I fill the rest of the drinking glass with water. This "absinthe cocktail" has a mild licorice flavor. One such cocktail is plenty to experience the effects. Any more might be dangerous or unpleasant.

A single absinthe cocktail makes me feel a bit of an alcohol buzz, but there is something else to it, too...as if I had just nibbled a teensy bit of a mushroom. It's a relaxed feeling, but not logey like straight alcohol.

My understanding is that absinthe is banned as an "unsafe food" in the U.S. but that there is no penalty for possessing or using it, only for selling it. At least that's what Erowid has to say about it.

Erowid actually has a great review on absynthe, although it's a bit older and doesn't mention the GABA finding.

And yes, I have way too much time on my hands right now.

(1) Meschler JP; Howlett AC, "Thujone exhibits low affinity for cannabinoid receptors but fails to evoke cannabimimetic responses." Pharmacol Biochem Behav - 01-Mar-1999; 62(3): 473-80

(2) Höld KM; Sirisoma NS; Ikeda T; Narahashi T; Casida JE. "Alpha-thujone (the active component of absinthe): gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptor modulation and metabolic detoxification." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A - 11-Apr-2000; 97(8): 3826-31

(3) Mason PE, Kerns WP 2nd. "Gamma Hydroxybutyric Acid (GHB) Intoxication." Acad Emerg Med 2002 Jul;9(7):730-9

(4) Millet Y, Jouglard J, Steinmetz MD, Tognetti P, Joanny P, Arditti J. "Toxicity of some essential plant oils. Clinical and experimental study." Clin Toxicol 1981 Dec;18(12):1485-98

(5) Arnold WN. "Vincent van Gogh and the thujone connection." JAMA 1988 Nov 25;260(20):3042-4

(6) Milovic I. "[Medical manuscript of Mihail Plamenac, a priest]" (article in Serbo-Croatian Cyrillic). Srp Arh Celok Lek 1998 Jan-Feb;126(1-2):63-7

(7) Hold KM, Sirisoma NS, Casida JE. "Detoxification of alpha- and beta-Thujones (the active ingredients of absinthe): site specificity and species differences in cytochrome P450 oxidation in vitro and in vivo." Chem Res Toxicol 2001 May;14(5):589-95
review

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
i dont know if you all know this already but this is a common way of drinking absinth (the way i do anyway)
do drink it straight. apart from it being very alcholic, and so dangerous, it taste worse and lessens that "other effect".

get spoon full of sugar, pour absinth onto spoon, set fire to it and wait for it to caramelise, pour half a glass of absinth and stir in the sugar mixture. then fill rest of glass with water (also putting out flame)
this burns off some of the alchohol and in my experience enhanses the effect

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
A few more items.
Absinthe is legal in Canada because it gets in under the "aromatherapy" rules (according to some Canadians who came to my workshop). They said it was about $400 a bottle.
You can buy something called "absente" in the US, which tastes like the real thing, even louches, but is made from Roman or "petite" wormwood, which does not contain the psychoactive ingredient thanajol. (That's why it is legal).
It does taste vile straight, but most druggies want to try it that way to judge the effects.
I have a number of recipes for absinthe cocktails on my webpage here

Maximus

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Ajay:
i dont know if you all know this already but this is a common way of drinking absinth (the way i do anyway)
do drink it straight. apart from it being very alcholic, and so dangerous, it taste worse and lessens that "other effect".

Ajay, I think you goofed.

Folks, do not under any circumstances, drink it straight!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
sorry i cant type , that was suppose to be do not

thought it was kinda obvious by the rest of my post but anyway

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
Read your post MikeGinny
We here in New Zealand can buy What I believe to be an Absinth with a lower content of wormwood than the real McCoy.
I also along with some flatmates(Room Mates) have had quite a few sessions where we drank this product straight. Generally we drink the full alcohol strength of 85% by volume Absinth but a 72.5% V/V and a 65% V/V product is also available.
The 85% stuff retails for about $60 NZ ($130 US)or about 20 Pounds(sorry, no Pounds Symbol). Only one case of over consumption in NZ has occured and that chick just needed to get her stomach pumped. That happened in my home town of Dunedin.
In an answer to other posts, Absinth is illegal in Australia.
Other people who have had sessions on this stuff will have probably felt very wicked and quite trashed that night but felt like their immune systems have been smashed about a bit.
I've also heard from friends that it can be drunk with 1 part Absinth and 3 parts milk.
As for dangerous, use your own judgement, other drugs can be dangerous only if used with poor judgement and/or in too larger a quantity. Do not quote me on this, this is just a statement summarising my own experiences.
If you are able to try this interesting Hallucanigenic drink Do Not get carried away because it does get weird.
I hope that this information is useful.

For those of you who dig Quotes: be true, be real, be a cool cat and your fire shall burn bright through all of your experiences in life and in death

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Absinthe is legal in Australia and available at your local bottleo... well, probably just your fancy schmancy ones actually.

It costs aprox $50 AUD a bottle. Can't remember the percentage of alcohol in the absinthe available here, but I know that it's not the full strength version.

I'll be sampling some absinthe at a party I'm going to in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Finn

FireFly Guymember
49 posts

Posted:
My mistake man,
Have fun

For those of you who dig Quotes: be true, be real, be a cool cat and your fire shall burn bright through all of your experiences in life and in death