Forums > Help! > Another Dance Thread ?...Kinda

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
OK, first a quick story.

So I'm sitting at this bar, on a beach, in Thailand, it's january 2003. Sitting next to me is this huge Thai guy who wants to practice his english "no problem" I say seeing as how I'm alone. We have a few beers and he gets up,,,and lights these wicks attached to chains and starst spinning them around his body while dancing. The other bar partons clap and cheer when he finishes and he comes back to sit down beside me again. I ask him " how,,,long,,have,,,,you,,,been,,,spinning....?" he counts on his fingers and answers "10 days". " Wow" I say "can you teach me to do that?" "Yes" he says and started teaching me the next day.

Two days later, a family emergency forced me to fly back to Canada with my newly purchased set of practice poi and visions of using these props as an excuse to learn to dance. I've never been a dancer but this fire spinning sure sparked my interest. Back in Canada, I immediatly started taking poi lessons, three of them to be exact, one a week, went to my travel agent, bought another ticket to Thailand and went back to that same beach and met up with the Thai guy again. Now we both new exactly the same moves and put together a synched duo show ,I think we could do about five things, anyway it went over really well. End of story.

So I'm hooked, I've got my poi, I finished up a four month series of lessons, I make myself a staff and start working with that too. but the whole dance idea is still eluding me, but I keep practicing anyway. I start downloading and watching videos over and over. The summer comes, and like magic, this good sized firespinning community just appears, mostly newbees with a few good spinners who weren't interested in teaching but I pick up a few new "moves" anyway but easily 90% of my spinning I did alone. maybe this has somthing to do with me being a fortysomthing guy invading what is largely a twentysomthing chick world ( at least around here ).

Please stay with me,,,this is going somewhere.

So earlier this year I decided to go back to Thailand for a couple of months to study firespinning,There was a fellow Canadian advertising lessons in Thailand ( didn't happen ) plus I'd heard of a few professional schools and was familiar with the Bangkok scene.I ended up learning very little. Professional schools? I ended up working in one but learning zero, Bangkok? very little too, a few neat tricks from Poibox II, and a few from some Thai guy but in all the learning thing was a big disappointment.

But now,,,things have gotten serious, myself and four others have just formed a group and are hoping to start performing locally. and I still can't dance. I've made a new years resolutin to study some form of dance which leads to the reason for this post.

What style????

I 've given up on learning to dance with poi and figure I'll try learning dance seperatly and work the poi into the dance,a 180 degree change in tactics. I've been thinking about this for over six months but it wasn't until I read Orbit's post in the " egos and firespinning" thread,,,the line about hot sexy chicks comming from a dance background,,,that I decided to actually do somthing about it.

I've met quite a few of those, dancers who took up poi I mean, but they did happen to be hot sexy chicks, usually with a ballet background. they weren't technical spinners but they sure were nice to watch heck, one of them even got up and put on a beautiful show, then asked me to teach her the reverse weave.

This is a pretty good sized city, so I should be able to study any style of dance that I want. but I don't know where to start.

Should I: just walk into any dance studio with a set of poi, start spinning, then ask " can you help me" or go the martial arts route ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hi Stout,

Welcome to HOP. smile

There might be some things in this thread that could help.

[Old link]

Love is the law.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
good luck.
I just spent 1 year working without poi for the same reason.
I'd recomend swing or old style jazz, (as opposed to modern jazz)
But I'd also recommend you choose whichever dance you feel has the music you most like.
The dance IS the music.

Expect to suck really hard for the first 6 months and probably want to give up, but stick with it, and it will become increasing more rewarding.
Good luck
A

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hey, thanks for the replies.
ado-p that thread is gold,,guess I should of spent more time in the staff moves section.
Glass, I do expect to suck I've spent most of my life ignoring dance, in fact if someone had told me I'd end up as a poi/staff spinner two years ago I'd have laughed at them, but here I am,,ah life's strange twists and turns. I'll give the dance lessons thing a year at least.

After posting this thread yesterday morning, I thought about it all day while I was out doing my seasonal shopping then ran into a buddy of mine, carrying a hacky sack, or footbag for the purists. We played for about an hour and I learned that along with being outta shape ( yikes ) I'm not paying nearly enough attention to my balance.

I came home, put on some really slow music and did about half an hour of poi, concentrating mainly on my stance. I turn alot and never realized that I was twisting my legs together, forcing me to tense up just to stay upright. I'm definetly gong to have to work on that.

I also figure I'll get a video camera since I've never seen myself spin, thinking this might help me identify some weak spots

Cheers

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
From the point of view of someone who's never done any dance lessons!

Learn dance seperate from poi. I think the most important thing is to learn is to move your body more. Once this is done with dance your poi style will probably automaticaly pick up more movement and then you can work from there.

ladyilanahBRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
I've found that there are quite a few belly dance moves that can be done while spinning e.g. shimmies, undulations, chest circles, figure 8's & backward figure 8's with hips, etc. I don't know a lot about making belly dancing look manly, but I know I have seen some mighty sexy male bellydancers (who were heterosexual). Given, I've only tried the dance moves with pretty simple poi moves and only with non-flaming poi but it does work.

You may not be interested in Middle Eastern dance at all but thought I'd throw it in for consideration. We do have a guy in our troupe but he is openly gay and doesn't always mind if his moves look a little girly. But moves can be altered for men such as making fists rather than pretty hand gestures, also stronger, more earthy moves, wider stance, etc.

Ilanah juggle

If I can't dance, I don't want your revolution.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Belly dancing, now there's an idea, the dance style that seems to be most closely related to the spinning arts. why didn't I think of it, too obvious I suppose. biggrin

I've never actually seen a male belly dancer but there was an excellent article about one in our local paper last summer so come january I'll start shopping around for a school. I'm hoping to find an instructor who can understand my motivations for being there, after all I don't want to offend any purists who may think I'm desecrating their art by using it as a means to do something else.

I'm not so worried about the girly thing but I do draw the line at wearing anything with sequins on it after all, spinning poi isn't the most macho of pastimes, well not in a crushing beer cans against your forehead kinda way at least.

As an aside, yesterday our group was filmed spinning fire by a local t.v. station who gave us two minutes on the evening news complete with a slow motion shot of the interwiewer smacking himself in the crotch with a poi,,it was priceless.

thanks for the input

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi stout,

Good post, it’s no big secret that I can’t dance either.
Well, that’s not entirely correct. I can freestyle a bit, and I can do poi, but not both together. Like when I do poi, it’s the poi that are dancing. When I freestyle, it’s my feet that are dancing. And when there is no music, it’s just practice.

My achilles' heel' is foot work, and I’m working on that with simple “about faces”, slow steps, pirouette turns etc. I find affinity with what ladyilanah said “I've found that there are quite a few belly dance moves that can be done while spinning e.g. shimmies, undulations, chest circles, figure 8's & backward figure 8's with hips, etc.” Thanks for the links.

I do figure 8's with my hips redface So, to take this a step further, if you know how to use poi then you will have coordination, and be familiar with fig 8’s, three beat weaves etc. So, why not use this knowledge to develop your own dance. Try doing a three beat weave with your legs and feet instead of your arms and hands. Try it in waltz time smile

I’ve been trying this because I did a couple of Latin classes, and while not underrating the value of the samba bounce, imho, they were all pretty pretentious, strutting around like they had broomsticks up their colacas. It’s the same with dance sports and the other dance stuff I see on the telly, no feel, no rhythm -just steps and plastic smiles.

And if you want to learn the ‘snake dance” then I suggest you check out [Old link] or The Dance of the Serpents

Cheers

bounce2 bounce bounce2

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

ladyilanahBRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
Oh my god Stone you have no idea how much you just helped me! I have been planning to buy a pair of torches as soon as I get paid again, I've got them all picked out and everything! I've decided that torch swinging is the closest fire-worthy art similar to belly dancing with ribbon sticks or double swords, which I already know how to do. But doing a search on torches or clubs on here brings up all sorts of (mostly irrelevant) threads. This is a great thread and the free download looks like a great resource so thanks! You just made my day! And I have to learn this dance move you're talking about with the 3 beat wave...*must practice* *must practice* biggrin

Back to the male Middle Eastern dancing, some of the moves look more masculine then others, I am thinking. For example: hip drops, hip lifts, hip drop & kicks, step & hip lift combos, etc none of these are particularly feminine at all in my opinion and may be more favored in a male's repertoire of moves. Since we're not talking about troupe choreography here Stout you can pick and choose the ones you like. Of course, in class you will have to go along with what everybody else is learning but when you're performing dance & spinning it is all up to you. weavesmiley

Bonus to taking bd lessons: Almost all girls in the classes. You may find yourself the center of some very nice attention and lots of encouragement from the womenfolk. wink (At least that has been my experience...)

There could be a few snooty teachers out there I suppose but I don't see why any teacher would mind that you want to learn the dancing just to be able to spin with it. They may ask if you want to perform with poi in their shows though (but probably not with fire.) Wooden stages and flaming poi.... hmm yeah not good... but maybe at some shows, and beaming poi would be great.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Wow, thanks for the links I've been out of town for the last five days celebrating the festive season with too much of everything, now I feel like I'm a hundred years old,,,lol. I did manage to broach the subject of my studying Middle Eastern dance with a few people and all agreed that it's probably the best route to go, given my motivations.

I plan on discussing my goals with potential teachers and hopefully that will clear up any potential misunderstandings as to why I'm there, who knows,,,maybe I'll get hooked on the style and stay with it for years. I'll learn anything they want to teach in a group class and as a rookie. and a guy I have no reservations about being at the back of the class, unless that proves too distracting. biggrin I just won't mention this to my wife.

II do want to study dance for the sake of studying dance. If I could work poi into a troupe routine , all the better, but I'm not fussed about it. And as to fire, I'll just leave that to outdoor venues only. One thing I have noticed is I tend to "stiffen up" quite a bit when spinning fire I don't think this is a nervous reaction to fire so much as a nervous reaction to performing. yet another reason why I want to take classes.

Stone, thanks for the club swinging idea, I'll explore this idea with a juggling club that our firespinning group plans to visit early in the new year but I was thinking of exploring movement without props as it is now I feel like I'm using poi/ staff as an excuse to be a dancer. I mean I find myself thinking things like I don't care about my spine,elbows, shoulders as long as my planes are relatively flat. I kinda feel like I'm using them as a sort of crutch.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi ladyilanah, thanks, glad to help. I agree Middle Eastern Dance does suit Indian club swinging. Good choice smile With clubs, learning the grips and how to swing or fold the club around the body is the key to smooth, graceful swinging. Keep an eye on the club/torch swing thread, as I’ll update the grips soon. Poi and club swinging also have much in common, so I would suggest looking at the free poi lessons at HOP, to learn the 3-beat weave, and other moves. Not surprisingly, there are a number of poier’s at HOP, that also do bellydancer. I think Pele has some large snakes and mr arashi can float his veil with the best of them wink

I think I prefer Eastern dance because it has more room for structured improvisation, body movement and swirling, turning, incorporates many props, and can feature hand movements. It’s about self expression and you are encouraged to interpret the moves according to the way your body moves and response to the music. Where as Western dance seems to be all dance steps and feet. Even “hat and cane” to an extent.

stout, fair enough on the props. I was more than a little dismayed when I read this bit on props in Middle Eastern Dance ‘Aside from the fact that the object in question should have a balance point which is not too slick, the only real "gimmick" is the skill of the dancer.” I love my props, that’s why I dance. As far as the role of men in bellydance goes, look at the props. I think I’d feel pretty masculine swinging these Knives. Apparently in Raks Sharki men use trays, jars, swords, sticks or canes. Then there is a Moroccan "tray dance" that is generally done by men in coffee houses, where a tray and glasses are balanced while dancing (horizontal snake ?). In Persian, a dance is done where a glass is placed on one's forehead, going into a backbend. And, there are other assorted cane and stick dances. And perhaps the more feminine veils, zills? gloves, hand flowers and slave bracelets. From the The Joyful Dancer-History of Bellydance. Which is one, of the many generous sites on Eastern dance.

When people talk of contortionist 7 beat weaves and such, I think of coiling snakes, which is a feature of Eastern dance and Indian club swinging, except they actually use real snakes in The Dance of the Serpents: “Throughout the world, tribal religion and art features the serpent as a symbol of great power, regeneration and inspiration. Many ancient tribes honored the Mother of Creation in the form of a serpent, paying tribute to her eternal wisdom and ageless mystique. This was a vast influence in the origin of “belly dance. Medical doctors still use the “caduceus” two snakes intertwining up an eternal flame or winged staff, as a symbol of their profession.”

As far as Club swinging and dance goes, most of the club stuff is done in wall plane, with a statuesque posture, but even Schatz and the old club swingers put in a few bounds, bounces, and lunges in with their military turns. I’ve been concentrating on walking, which is the first step in dance, but I reallywant to move on a learn a dance that lets me work the Circle, made famous by Phunky. Who ironically enough, went off the learn more about dance. So, I’m looking for patterns for working the circle, like clover leaf, spirals etc. I assume that Eastern dancers would use some kind of floor patterns.

In the mean time, walking is the way to go, as Jai Chavan said at his humble and yet extremely generous Dance-Sport Site: “Making Time” is the first dance exercise, and “The March" was the first organised "War Dance" The plot thickens, as Jay is an Indian, who teaches Western Ballroom and Latin Dancing. However, I’d have to agree with Jai who maintains that Ballroom dancing originated in India, or most certainly was also discovered by ancient Indian dancers. Jai’s site is a fantastic resource and if people are prepared to learn how to use it, the amount of dance information it contains is staggering.

Then there is this fabulous article on walking at the JoyfulDancers site on Walking as Meditation and Warmup which finishes with, what I would have thought an to be an un characteristic quote of Neitzsche who said, "I would believe only in a God who can dance." Perhaps not.

Cheers smile

beerchug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
More great links,,thank you. and this is where I admit to not really knowing what club swinging is time to do some searching. I'm glad to see that old thread by Phunky, I was taught that style about a year and a half ago and it makes perfect sense but when I mention it to other spinners they usually just look at me like I'm some sort of space alien or something, biggrin

I'm hoping when we meet up with the jugglers in the new year someone there will be able to shed some light on the whole club swinging thing. I too love my props those knives look like fun, didn't Angelina Jolie do the three beat weave with a pair of sticks in one of the Tomb Raider movies?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi stout,

How are the dance lessons? Can you do the Disc or Nightclub two-step, as per Buddy Schiwimmer’s definition? Like, taking two steps with the left foot and then two steps with the right foot. Like this (leader's part), Left & Left - Right & Right. Or 1 & 2 - 3 & 4. It’s a good mover, so is the samba bounce biggrin

. soapbox Since you asked, traditional Indian club swinging is just like swinging poi, and staff/pole, except it’s done with bowling pin shapes clubs. Many of the moves are the similar, and this causes much confusion. It has roots in the ancient Olympics, in ndia, in military training, gymnastics and in many ways could be considered a pre-curser to modern weight lifting. The basic long arm and shoulder circles are easy and look great with fire, though the fancy moves are as technical as ballet. And, you can also juggle clubs. For more info see the Club and torch swinging thread, link above somewhere.

It would be hard to forget Angelina Jolie doing the three beat weave in Tomb Raider (2?). And there’s more Vaudeville dancing at Early Break Dancing: which mainly says “Vaudeville dancing borrowed a lot from gymnastics and acrobatics, but by the 1920s, theatrical dancing also included a little tap and more of what we consider "dance steps." This film of the "Three Jumping Tommies" opens with three acrobats in British military uniforms performing backflips, cartwheels, and somersaults. In between all the stunts, they do a little shuffle dance and a few twirls. They also perform some stunts with stacked tables. What does that remind you of? How about the circus?” beerchug

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi Stone, I haven't started dance lessons,,,,yet it's not that I'm being lazy, I actually have a couple of excuses: 1) Seeing as how I spent most of the past festive season wearing track pants because most of my other pants mysteriously shrunk, I decided to start running on a daily basis, so for the past four days my lower legs have been kinda stiff, in fact, really stiff,,,ok I'm in pain, I know stretch more. 2) I got a new set of double fire poi for christmas and these weigh about 400 grams each. I started practicing with them and noticed my planes going all over the place so I've been working with these every day,,,I'm going to end up built like Arnold if I keep spinning these.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check out a class called " Afro Belly " I don't know what it is but it's being taught at the same studio I learned poi at two years ago the classes are drop in twice a week and each class runs for five hours so in theory I could go twice in one day.

I checked out the Cosmos site re club swinging, looks interesting and as to the two step, looks simple enough but I can't honestly say I've tried it redface

To circus skills beerchug

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ha stout, I was just kidding about the dance lessons, as I have been rather slack in that department. The most assessable dance classes around here are “Rock n Roll”. Might give them a go.

Shrinking pants hmm; and here’s me thinking of a dark, foaming beverage wink I’m not a runner, so I would suggest there should be some good warm-up exercises in Anna Jillings club swinging book at the Cosmos site. Double poi sound wicked, but I thought that the weight would keep them in line. Club swingers have tight lines wink

"Afro Belly" sounds cool. I think there is a stream of primitive/African belly dance as well as the Middle Eastern dancing. Try the two-step. Yeah it’s simple, but it’s a gem of a move. It gives you freedom. You can slide, shuffle, use it to move around the circle; and it buys you time. Like for between the leg stuff, you can go in with one step and out with the next step. Cheers.

ladyilanahBRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
I just had a "light bulb" moment and had to share. ubbidea When stout said:

"Belly dancing, ..., the dance style that seems to be most closely related to the spinning arts...."

I'm not sure that is entirely true now. Here's the story:

I have been belly dancing for about 7 or 8 years. Last week, for the very first time, I got asked to do a Hawaiian themed show. They said they didn't mind if I just did belly dancing in a Hula outfit. So I bought the grass skirt and the leis, practiced some hawaiian moves, and "poof" I'm a Hula girl! tongue (Ok, maybe not, but I looked like one!)

I also bought my first pair of fireflies, and wow! what a difference having lights makes! They're so beautiful in the dark! I was mesmerizing myself! But I digress... ubbrollsmile

So I'm just a rank amateur at poi and at hula but my point is that it amazed me how well the "hula" style moves went with the poi spinning, and since poi came from Hawaii I think it could maybe stand to reason that Hula dance is in fact the closest dance style to the spinning arts.

Ilanah

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
What I said is not what I meant, about being the most closely related I mean. The point I was trying to make is that it seems, to me at least that there is alot of crossover between poi spinners and belly dancers. At out weekly fire meets in the park, it seems that most of the women who show up just to dance, come from a belly dancing background. We did a show at a lantern festival last summer, featuring belly dancers and after a couple of years talking to other spinners, I came to this conclusion.

But being a non dancer, and therefore hardly qualified to compare styles of dance I apologize for any misunderstandings,,,,holy crap, did I just write that? But now that you mention it ladyilanah, I can easily see the parallels between belly dancing and hula dancing. What I was hoping for, ( and I found it ) was a school that can appreciate my reasons for studying their style of dance, and I believed belly dancers would be the most accommodating, given my past experiences.

It just so happens that there was a article in our local paper last year concerning middle eastern dance, and purists, And then there was the time I walked into a martial arts supply shop asking if they new anybody who could teach me staff spinning. They looked at me like I was some kind of freak and curtly told me " no, nobody can help you"

So I found a school, and I'm hoping tonight will be my first class but I got an email last night,,,,we have a show on saturday night and we have to work out a glow routine ,,,,starting tonight, but I'm hoping I can do both,

cheers,,,,David

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks ladyilanah, the hula is a cool idea.

Better watch your grass skirt with fire though wink

Another idea would be to incorporate the "hula hoop" or “fire hula hoop” which as the name suggest, came from imitating the Hawaiian dance. Also, hula hoop is the new dance craze, so start practicing.

Stout, I agree that “that most of the women who show up just to dance, come from a belly dancing background.” Perhaps that’s because, even in this day and age, many men still sit around at dances. I think Jillings has a section on glow routines in her club swinging book. Good Luck with the show.

beerchug

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
you know, i think really any movement can be incorporated into spinning, but acrobatics, belly dance, and martial arts are the most common forms of movement so they have the most spinners. i really like liquid, belly dance and lately, balinesian and indian temple dance for spinning. i also like to put in kabuki stuff too. but i've also seen some really great ballet spinners and acro-balancing spinners, and a breakin' spinner. and glass has been taking swing lessons wink

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi arashi, I checked out Balinese dancing for their intricate hand/arm/etc movements and a possible cross over to clubs, but decided to steer clear because of possible religious implications with their dances (could be wrong about that though). Often when I'm practicing in wall plane, I tend to think 'dance like an Egyptian'.

If people have read the Contact Juggling book by James Ernest, then they will know that the hand movements for the contact butterfly come from Middle Eastern Dance.

cheers

smile

ladyilanahBRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
Hey stout, I wasn't criticizing, it was just one of those 4 am moments when I was like "hey!" this is probably the kind of dancing they were doing when poi actually got started in Hawaii... and so had to share..Besides, they really are very closely related, hula and belly dance. I'm so excited that you found a class to do belly dance!

I have done some Hindu dancing but never tried it with poi... something for me to think about... regarding religious implications with dancing, I have run into that before when I wanted to dance to a song I think the group was "Miami" or the song was called Miami but anyway my dance teacher Amira told me no way could I do a solo to it because it was a Muslim song of worship.... and this was 2 days before the show! So I had to change music and therefore the choreography and messed up the whole thing and it was a terrible performance.... *sigh* but yeah I guess it's good I didn't offend anybody...

Ilanah

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
My apologies for the tone of my last post Ilanah, I wrote it while i was distracted. I didn't think you were being critical. I haven't started belly dance class yet because our group is doing a show this saturday and every evening for the past week has been spent on show preparation. It's going to be an indoor glow show I guess we have about 25 minutes of material worked out and we may do it a couple of times during the evening.

I'm really nervous,,,excited,,,but nervous

That's too bad about your routine, all that work and then having to make major changes at the last moment. We haven't choreographed to a song because we didn't have the time, we'll just use whatever the dj wants to play as long as it's not really fast. It should work out.

And as to music, for the past several months I've been practicing to electronic dance music, but I tossed it a couple of weeks ago in favour of slower ( Pink Floyd ) music and really concentrated on my footwork, stable stances and so. What a difference!!!
I don't get the workout I used to but I get way more thumbs up from passers by biggrin

David

ladyilanahBRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel preparing for a performance during every spare second... my hula show is tomorrow night...I'm not nervous at all about the belly dance part.... But this will be my first poi performance ever! So that scares me.... Good luck with your show, let us know how it goes. I'm sure you will be great! sunny

Ilanah, (thinking about hula hoops on fire.... *grin*) devil

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
The show rocked,,,all things considered, only two and a half practice sessions, alien equipment ( to me at least ) choreography is new to me too and I'm sure glad I wrote down the routine ...

We do have a hoop section in our performance too, and I'm inspired to take that up too which dovetails nicely with the afro belly class that I still planning on attending. In fact last night was supposed to be my first class but we had a small disaster here that prevented me from attending,,,so next tuesday.....

Fire hoops are great, I've seen a few and there was a woman at the event we preformed at who was spinning 3 glow hoops, that was stunning.

How did your show go? did your poi section come off ok? I'm sure it did, given your dance background you don't need a lot of tricks to make this look good.

Cheers,,,David

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I finally decided I must get some dance lessons. Here is a link to a local dance called the Melbourne Shuffle. Basic #2 is a good place to start.

I'm told it is similar to the "Utrecht Toprock" which is apparently a 8-beat (2-bar) with a syncopated downstep on every beat except the first, the dominant foot is down on the syncopated step and the less dominant on the beat itself.

So, now you can see why I need lessons. I'd like to start with Latin, but perhaps it would be better to try RnR or Round dancing first.

Cheers wink

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
thanks stone for the link,
it has a lot of simmilarities with 1920's charlston !! (i've been learning recently)
no really
getting back to the roots man.
Got to run, but if you poke me after the weekend, I can find some very good charlston dance battle videos to send you/post up.
In melborne forget latin - go to lindy hop classes, it has a big scene

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi glass, I'm glad the link was useful, and thanks for the tips smile

I had no idea the Melbourne Shuffle was similar to the Charleston. I'm not surprised though, as many dances, like the Night Club Two Step for example, are re-invented (see below). But brilliant ubbidea I hadn't made the connection between the Roaring 20's and the Roaring 2000'. Well except for the obvious, that starting with the waltz all new dance crazes have been banned or considered unlawful. So, yeah I'm booking into some Lindy lessons and for sure it would be ace to see some of the Charleston dance battles.

Yes I agree, it's good getting lots of roots. Like "The Charleston had probably African, possible Ashanti roots wink A dance of the Shimmy variety, it was essentially feminine, but became more masculine in the later commercial form. The eccentric sidekicks and syncopation were merged into a less agile dance that was more suited for the public, which is now Quickstep.

The Charleston, a percussor to the Lindy, is done in ragtime. Ragtime being a musical form or style that is defined as a syncopated melody (usually in 2/4 time) over a regular, march tempo bass line. Syncopation is generally recognised as a trait of Afro-American music." From Jai's Dance Sport site, linked earlier. And many Latin dances also have African roots.

Btw, Jay is an Indian who maintains that Ballroom dancing originated in India, or most certainly was also discovered by ancient Indian dancers, and I think he has a fair point.

Night Club Two Step: Latin dancers say Night Club is taken from Salsa, Western dancers claim it is a slow Polka, and Ballroom dancers see resemblances to Samba and Bolero. Chances are, if you know any dance at all based on a Triple Step, at some point you will notice similarities between your dance and Night Club.

Well thats another reasons for lessons, how else would I find out why a two step dance, is actually a triple step dance.

Cheers smile

beerchug

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Ok I'll dig them out and Pm you a link.

For the most AWSUM dancing go and rent and old movie called stormy weather theres a scene with cab calloway and the nicolas brothers!!!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanx glass,

Good idea with the old movies. I remember seeing The Nicholas brothers on That's Hollywood, and they were absolutely fantastic dancers. There were also interviews with Fred, Ginger etc. I might even dig up some old Carmen Miranda movies for samba.

Stormy weather with the Nicholas Brothers and Cab Calloway (of Mini the Moocher fame?). Think I might buy that one.

Cheers smile

Moondancemember
65 posts

Posted:
Hello people!

How nice to see there are more people interested in dance combinations. Dance is my lifepassion, which I practise allmost everyday. I started with classic ballet,jazz,caractere,modern ballet and freestyle, nowadays i do trancedancing, bellydancing and Tribaldancing(fusiondanceform that combines movements of all cultures).
Recently started a performancegroup and we mostly dance to live music. These danceforms are excellent to use toys with: i dance with poi,staff,fans,veils,swords,daggers, ribbons and candles.

If you are male and would like to practise hipmoves or loosen up your lowerbackarea it can be handy to make/wear a belt with bells on it (absolutely doesn't need to look feminine at all !).
Most male danceforms/roles consider "force" to be the energetic part of male dancing, so make sure your movements go fluid but powerfull.

To everyone who wants to learn to dance: let go of your thoughts and surrender to the energetic movement of your heart, for Dance is an act of Love and a way to get in contact with the Universe. Therefore I think dance is found in every country in every culture, for we are all one...

That would be it for now, perhaps read ya later!

Greetz

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
I do VCE dance, am having sooooo much fun, they let me dance to slipknot and korn!!!! And...wait for it...

POI POI POI POI!!!!
I can use them for my final assessment!

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

Page: