Page:
Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I love the attitude and cultured integration every member of this website shares and it's why I think most of us come onto this site so much. It's a great place to meet people with the same passions and learn some new moves, etc.

However, sometimes I think that for those of us that are a bit older than some of the younger members perhaps we are not considering what we post up as being as influencial as it might be.

I know that if I were a 15 year old and older and wiser people were discussing doing trips and mushies I'd see no real problem with doing them (which there isn't necessarily) but maybe we should think about this a bit more when we post on dangerous subjects. I know that in most cases this happens but I do get concerned sometimes that our younger friends may busk, take drugs, etc without being told first the good , the bad and the ugly !

I hope no members take offence from this, I am certainly not questioning the intelligence or responsibility of anyone here, but merely the format of information dispensed.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
*takes hat off*

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Good Point, well put across.

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Nice one pyrophile, a good point, well presented

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
WOW!
You're clever; nice one!

I hope that one day I can trust us humans enough to believe that people seek information before trying anything 'new' in their life such as fire games and especially drugs (duh! it is after all your contiousnees you will be playing with...). I am aware that many people dont do this and, for that matter, are oblivious to the thought of researching something so important to oneself

I will remember this thread for all of time! Thanks pyrophile!
I never realised just how far my responsibility extends. Even in this boxy cyber world...

Until the sun rises and all people are free from form, shape, and texture I will now strive to realise how much my comments could affect people into making choices...
Much love, fluff, hugs, and HOPE!
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Cazzarmember
53 posts

Posted:
True Dat!!! Didn't think bout it until i started teaching my wee friend next door poi and she signed up..and when i say wee i mean over eleven under thirteen...so that is very true..i think that some of the things that are posted are very influential to some of the younger peeps out there..so i will definitely take more care after reading this post !!!
CHEERS PYROPHILE

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I felt it was important to bump this thread especially after the appearance of another thread that discusses drug use.

Just a little reminder to some of our older - more 'experienced' users of the site.

Many people come to this site after seeing a spinner that uses it regularly, I know myself that I have directed several people in this direction for pointers on the lessons.

I think the whole drug ethos that surrounds some of the threads is a bad point which we should try and avoid as it often shows us in a bad light in a lot of peoples eyes, especially in places where these drugs are illegal. I also know that it is good for people to discuss experiences etc.

I was wondering if Malcolm or any of the Moderators knew of a decent way that we could section the discussion group, so that we could keep these sort of discussions out of harms way?

I dont know if this is feasable (sp?) or necessary but I am just throwing ideas into the air

Mark P

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
When Mark mentioned sectioning, etc I remembered that Malcolm has used a disclaimer/age check (over 18s only) on the article about fire breathing so I guess it is possible.. but it would be difficult to implement in the forum.. Who chooses which articles are sensored? Also it would interrupt the flow of the board as you move between topics (though this little inconvenience is probably worth it).. It might be enough to disuade the younger members from reading or taking heed of the following thread.

Tom

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Especially true as younger kids try to become more accepted through mimicry of those older and perceived as cooler, but often don't understand the background and responsibility involved in these actions. This covers everything from drugs to fire breathing.

Don't other people become really bored of talking about drugs all the time?!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I presonally don't think that creating a censorship approach to these subjects is the way forward, it is too difficult to regulate and if effective would only decrease the amount of information that our younger members receive.

Maybe we should consider more of an advisory service for this, where anyone regardless of age can receive good impartial advice. If there was a section in the discussion board where this could take place and all questions, comments and advice entered are anonymous, this might make it easier for members to ask questions they would be more embarassed about asking with their member name visible.

p.s. Thank you for your kind words guys.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I though that since the last time this came up about 6 months ago, HOP has been very much self regulating and a lot of the work load has been taken off the mods.

I like it like that. but yea, I think some threads and some peoples posts have got a bit to drugy etc. but really if theres any gorunds to censor it its just that its so boring to talk about all the time.

So I'm up for self regulating, and happy when people put me in place if I forget every so often.

G

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I have passed your thoughts on to Mr Malcolm. I hope this is ok?

Meh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
cheers c@ntus, I dont mind what happens eventually but I thought the original post was a very valid point and I just suggested a possible solution - however unfeisable (sp? )

Mark P

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm going to get flamed for this, I know, but here goes. *deep breath*

I feel like trying to censor posts on this board is not only futile, but the wrong end of the deal. First, I think we sort of agree that we don't want outright censorship unless a post is really inflammatory (racist, attacking someone, etc.)

But what about putting more adult-themed posts in a separate section? How are we going to determine that people are over 18? Require a credit card? Not everyone over 18 has a credit card, and I had one when I was 16. Put a "you must be over 18" disclaimer on? If anything, it just serves as a blinking neon light saying "hey! the good stuff is in here!"

I guess my point is that parents have to take some responsibility here. Parents who have an internet-capable computer in their homes need to be willing to supervise their kids' online activities. That means that they may use software to block access to certain sites, for example.

But in the end, it's an adult world and the internet is often an adult place. When I was 14 and 15, I was surfing some pretty explicit message boards because my parents were clueless about the 'net, and it didn't harm me that much. I think we're really more worried about parents' peace of mind than the kids, anyways...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pyrophile:
[QB]I presonally don't think that creating a censorship approach to these subjects is the way forward, it is too difficult to regulate and if effective would only decrease the amount of information that our younger members receive.

Maybe we should consider more of an advisory service for this, where anyone regardless of age can receive good impartial advice. If there was a section in the discussion board where this could take place and all questions, comments and advice entered are anonymous, this might make it easier for members to ask questions they would be more embarassed about asking with their member name visible.

I agree Mike, that's why I suggested this.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I dont fully agree that that would be the best idea/approach...
If you want a drug forum try www.bluelight.nu...

I personally think that this 'drug discussion' is not as harmful as it seems except for when we (myself included) reffer to drugs in the 'cool' light.

Some of the discussions about drugs were also to do with fire like the one I posted a while ago about flashbacks... I just wanted people's experience so that I could be prepared if the same happened to me...

Are we just being overly cautious here?
There is already a disclaimer on the site and to be honest this is quite a bland subject in comparison to those I have encountered on the net... As long as we each agree to watch what we say and how it is said then I dont really think this would be much of an issue...

Just thinking out loud here....
Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
By the way....

There might be other things besides drugs that might give people different ideas...

Discussions about sex, and political issues for example...

Are we going to restrict ourselves further?

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I do think it does come down to a matter of self-regulation, & the mods stepping in with a swift kick if things are really getting out of hand. But from what I have seen this is unlikely to happen.

We have some pretty mature & sensible people on this site who police themselves (as proved by this thread). I know it may be difficult, but I think the best control is asking these people to keep an eye on the direction of threads, & just add in some disclaimers.

(I really appreciate having this thread here, though. Thinking through with everyone, including Malcolm, about how we can solve this, is the mark of a really mature community. Maybe we should just have this thread for newbies to read!!! )

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Personally, about drugs and drinking I know that it's evil. My uncles were drunks and I saw the side effects (jail... lost jobs... crapped out relationships) so I'm not going to do it at all. I've never touched drugs, never drank alcohol.

Really the only thing that this page has influenced me in doing is fire and being more open minded to other cultures. I partially agree with the cencoring because of some of the crazy people lurking around the site, and partially disagree because it would be taking away some of the family-ness of the board.

About busking. I didn't know what it was, so I read up on it. Street performing. Big deal? I asked around my family what I had to do to get into street performing. Get a licence. Anything of the good, bad or the ugly I'd learn there or experience myself.

But ya. Props to ya for the concern
Kinudin

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
i would read this whole thread and post an informed and intelligent reply but i'm afraid i'm in a bit of a hurry to go downstairs and smoke a big fat spliff so, er....

drugs are bad, m'kay. if you do drugs your bad and you don't want to be bad.... etc.

wherever you go, there you are.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Malcolm is on the right idea: The way I see it, there is generally very little talk of firetwirling at drugs websites. To be sure, there are some issues where both firetwirling and drugs overlap, but these are generally handled here in a cautionary and objective manner, rarely as a boast. People here are generally too nice for that!
Nutella, on the other hand....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Just boosting the thread....

Oh and the idea about letting newbies see this thread might be useful. That way everyone knows that there is a need to think about what you post before you post it...

Much love to all, Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Other useful drug sites are :

www.erowid.com

www.dancesafe.org

Each of these sites adopts a harm reduction approach to drug use.

www.bluelight.nu operates a discussion board very similar to home of poi. it has members (more than 20,000) from all over the world. i highly recommend it. I moderated two of the australian forums for the last couple of years. the information available in the australian drug discussion forum is excellent. the australian social forum is lots of fun too.

Finn

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by the mind gap:
i would read this whole thread and post an informed and intelligent reply but i'm afraid i'm in a bit of a hurry to go downstairs and smoke a big fat spliff so, er....

drugs are bad, m'kay. if you do drugs your bad and you don't want to be bad.... etc.

Do you happen to have a Kappa t-shirt on and a blacked out Ford Fiesta outside? Well done mate, you smoke bud, join the club, there's millions of us who do, just try getting over it!

Getitng back on track, I guess that as long as we all moderate each other a bit there won't be any problems. Also, perhaps rather than going with the nice suggestion by Rozi to have this thread available for newbies, someone (Malcolm ) could draw up a kind of manifesto which new members read at the same time as the legal disclaimer, so that from the start they have an understanding of the general ethos of Home of Poi and what it's members strive for.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
If you guys are happy to wait until the weekend, I will have a go at something and post it for your discussion. I know Malcolm has so much on...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Try not to diss my friends Pyrophile.

Mind Gap was making a joke. Irony is tricky sometimes. Doesn't always reach all of the target audience. I find outright sillyness is better received on these boards than subtle humour - especially with all the foreigners (and D&B djs) who might not understand things.

Meh

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
sorry pyrophile, i didn't realize sarcasm was illegal on this thread

and of course i agree with the sentiment you're trying to convey. having taken my fair share i can say with experience that no drug should be dismissed lightly - even weed. i'm lucky in that the only drug that causes me adverse reactions every time i take it is caffeine, and even that not badly.

and although i obviously enjoy getting out of my tiny little mind i also think that no one should take any drug, legal or otherwise, without first finding out exactly what it does to you. a friend of mine from a few years back couldn't take penecillin because it would kill him - everyone reacts slightly differently to all drugs and some of those reactions are violent and not possible to predict.

basically, if your not sure don't

unless you really want to get trolleyed of course

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
funny how the more experience someone has with something, the more they advise caution and research to those considering taking {whatever it is} into practice.

think about it. is true, is it not?

life begins between the night and the light.

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Mind gap,

My apologies mate, not having any idea of what you were like, etc I must admit I took your comments at face value and after reading your next thread I understand you better. I appreciate subtle humour and irony (Cantus, in a recent poll 8 out of 10 Jungle DJ's preferred irony to a kick in the nuts;)) but I guess I jumped the gun. Sos.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
no need to apologize pyrophile, i was a bit flippant . btw what's a kappa t-shirt?

teine - don't get me wrong i would advise all people to experiment with as many different drugs as they can possibly lay their hands on. just as long as they realize they could kill themselves.

Page: