TheCleanermember
23 posts

Posted:
In the video with Jo Derry using fluorescent poi https://www.homeofpoi.com/realaudio/jo_derry28.ram
he does a few things that I can't figure out. 1) the move in front of his body, looks like a weave, but I'm not sure. he also does it over head with a turn. 2) starts off with a butterfly but changes the "meeting point" of the Poi from 12 and 6 oclock to 3 and 9. 3) same as #2 but he goes to each side. Any help will ease the pain of the welt raising on my cheeck. Thanks

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i think even Jo himself cannot figure out what he does on that video grin...joking aside he might be able to help you more!!! Jo??? if i remember correctly the move you describe is a circular butterfly (maybe there was something more into it i don't remember) - practise doing the forwards butterfly on your side and changing sides and doing the reverse butterfly on the other side - see also the earlier threads - i think i posted something on that ages ago in the 'New Moves' forum...happy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Howdy Cleaner,Yeah that changing butterfly from top / bottom meeting to side to side meeting is a tricky one.Basically you cant do it (AFAIK) using the normal Butterfly technique. what you ahve to do is get the Poi going in a folding over motion, ie one comes over and in, and then the other comes over and in...Alternating.As you are doing this you bring your hands together and start moving them side to side in time with the Poi. Once your hands are touching and the Poi are locked, the sideways motion of your hands will move the poi in the same way that the up / down motion of your hands moves a standard butterfly formation.Going circular with this, is something I dont know how to do, but I can do the 9-3 butterfly, and so I help where I can.I hope this helps,Josh

TheCleanermember
23 posts

Posted:
Bam! nailed the 9&3 thanks. still working on the turn and the other. my thanks to you both.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
what's the 9-3 butterfly exactly??? you can make it seems like that if you swing one poi forwards and one in reverse??? or do you do the 9-3 one by just changing the 'phase difference' between the poi if you know what i mean!!! (sorry engineering is taking over my life grin phase as in relative position in a way in this case)...i can help you with the circular and side-to-side butterfly - have a look at the earlier thread and tell me if there's anything you need more info on!happy swinging,Simos

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
the 9-3 butterfly (as we invented the name for in theis thread smile) is where your Poi look like they are 'hitting' at 9 and 3 on the clock dial you are imagining superimposed on the spin plane. I find I cant do it with a normal 12-6 butterfly movement, and need to get an alternating buttefly going...ie the poi on top changes every rev, rather than the poi thats on top is always on top (ala standard buttefly).Do you see the diff?its a bit like doing thread the needle, but coming over the top everytime rather than once and then move then swap and then move as you do in TTN.going circular with a standard butterfly...I just kinda got this in my lunch break today actually...I find going circular with TTN is much easier...JoshJosh

HephGOLD Member
79 posts

Posted:
I think Simos is understanding it right, and i think i can offer some clarity. first off: the "3 and 9" butterfly is simply a regular butterfly done in split time. that's the best i can describe it. You can get into your normal forward(or reverse) butterfly, than just alternate your hands into split time. not too hard. THis split-time butterfly makes turning a WHOLE LOT easier. One thing Jo does in the video, which i've adopted(thanks, Jo!) is a reverse split-time butterfly in front, than a forward split time butterfly to the right, than reverse in front, than forward to the left, and back to reverse in front. you just jump the butterfly behind you and presto! its going the opposite direction. start out by changing directions with a beat in between, separating your poi, than jumping into the butterfly w/ both hands. got it?as far as the overhead move, what jo is doing there is a quadruple corkscrew. Just learn the corkscrew and add in an extra 2 beats at the bottom and an extra 2 at the top. it's explained in the poi lessons area. he adds in a body turn while they're over his head, which allows you to keep your poi up there for an extra beat. looks great, though, doesn't it?best of luck....Heph

TheCleanermember
23 posts

Posted:
Thank you, thank you, and thank you all. Corkscrew is still whipping my ass and the turn is not yet attempted. Oh, and thank you.

bird chicmember
9 posts

Posted:
i may be outta my mind.. but i think there is a way eaier way to do this move... when doin the 12-6 butterfly i am rotating forward with my wrists together keeping my thumbs goin up and down together when i do the 9-3 butterfly i just miss time my rotation and have my wrist bouncing opposite ( when my right wrist is up my left is down.. when the left is up the right is down) i may have confused you even more... but it really is just as easy as the "original butterfly" i could some help myself.. i am able to pull them to the right side when doin the 3-9 butterfly, but the left side is killing me... any ideas????xoxox bird chic

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Wow.I think you guys are doing this move in a substantially different way to me. I'm gonna try your way tonight.thanks for the heads up!Josh

bird chicmember
9 posts

Posted:
someone help me... i am goin crazy!!!!! xoxoxox bird chic

Jeff Duncanmember
140 posts

Posted:
well if jo were a nice person he would answer but he is probably off doing another video to screw the rest of us out of winning the next video compatition! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tonguei guess ill have to answer this.he is doing the butterfly at a split timeand to make it go side to side (of his body)he goes forward butterfly to the side of him then does a reverse butterfly on the other side.hope that helps ya mr clean. smile