Carouselstranger
9 posts

Posted:
I have been thinking about what it means to be sane or insane?

What is insanity?

Is there a clear cut line between sanity and insanity?

How do you know if you go insane?

What makes people go insane?

Alot of questions i dont know the answers to. Can anyone help?

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I suppose it's all relative. Relative to society and to your own perspective. Sanity is a subjective thing. I happen to believe that war is insane whereas most people in this country think otherwise so to them, I'm a little off the deep end. Actually I'm a lot off the deep end to them smile

Think of all the things society considers loopy: depression, manic states, introversion.. etc. Many of these are perfectly natural but to "fit in" society decides to pump us full of drugs. How insane is that?

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Quote: ¨The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success¨

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Sanity, as I view (medicalize) it, is a functional human existence where one is able to adequately care for ones physical needs both in the short and long-term.

When someone's higher congnitive/executive function is impaired as to jeopardize his or her ability to see to those needs, that become insanity.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_So_BRONZE Member
Skinny poi maker
313 posts

Posted:
I think that our present life makes us all insane a bit. So every person is not normal by psychological point of view. So the line bwtween sane and insane is very thin...
But there are absolutely insane things happening in our world...

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
I always see insanity as 1. when a person has a quite different perception of the reality that is generally accepted as true (ie. see/hear things that are believed by others not to be there, believe things like 'my landlady's trying to poison me')

2. When these perceptions/beliefs interfere with the way that the person would like to live their life (unable to hold a job down, etc.), or when it hurts them/others

3. how the persons behaviour compares to others

This last point is an interesting one, because it is no longer based on the individuals' experience, but how it is perceived be others. Like in days gone by homosexuality was classified as a mental illness (and only surprisingly recently declassified), but today only a very few (ignorant) people would argue this to be true.

Another thing i find interesting is the way that religion fits into this...if a person was to tell you that their thoughts and actions were being monitored by aliens, and they had to make sure they acted in a certain way so that the aliens wouldn't punish them, you would assume they had a mental illness, but replace 'aliens' with 'God', and you wouldn't think twice.

well, that's my 2 cents

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm going insane, christmas is pi****g me off no end already, i dont know if i'll make it through tomorrow without stabbing someone with a chicken leg!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Borathmember
64 posts

Posted:
People can mentally operate on any of thousands of different levels, but there seems to be a certain band wherein if you fall you are classed as 'sane'. This is a bit of a generalisation though. I think everyone has there own eccentricities and it's only those with grossly stronger ones than others that get dubbed as insane. My mum is mad in some respects because of very particular (and unfathomable) quirks in her personality, but I'm the one getting 'assessed' in March.

I had a point. It went somewhere where I am not. Hmm...

Written by: PoiBoxII

Quote: ¨The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success¨

Absolutely love that though because it is very true,

I can't be evil; I'm wearing pink.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
you're insane if you cant operate and conform to societies beliefs and values.

i didn't get my hands on any chicken legs, everybody survived.......so far

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
personally, i'd say that if you can still question yourself as to whether or not you are sane, you aren't. it's when that self checking stops that i'd class as borderline.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
Quote:

"L*D suggests that there is an area of the mind which could be called unsane, beyond insanity and yet not insane."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
lol yea, i never got the bit about the circle with a fine split in it. sounds like the ramblings of a madman to me biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no