MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I'm wondering...what else are people into? I mean, besides their work. And nutella/marmuck/vegemush.

So, for example, I'm a competitive swimmer. I started swimming at age 8. Swam through high school (was in the water at 6 AM through 8 AM and then 3:30-5:30 PM during Season in high school...talk about hell, we'd swim up to 10 miles a day). After high school, I swore I'd never touch water again, but by my senior year of college, I weighed 200 pounds and I'm only 5'8".

I looked in the mirror one day and said "geez, I'm fat." So there's a national program called Masters Swimming which is basically old farts like me who want to swim again. I got back in the water and in a year, I had dropped to 160 pounds.

I'm not the fastest guy out there, but I do swim in meets. I'm a good breastroker (no, not that way...well, that way, too, but that's not what I'm talking about ) and distance freestyler.

Swimming for me is therapy. It's meditation. I'm a total clod on land. I can't run due to a bad back, otherwise I'd be a triathlete. But getting back into swimming has given me so much. I'm so much healthier now. And besides, of all the drugs in the world, endorphin...the chemical your brain releases in the middle of exercise, is by far the best. You trip balls, you feel euphoric, you're on top of the world...and you're totally sober!

What do you guys do outside of fire that you're really passionate about?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
My passions beyond fire?
Passion

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i paint, draw, sew, play guitar badly..
sometimes i go to the pub for wings and beer.
i love horrible b-grade movies

thats me besides setting things on fire

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
SCULPTURE making stuff with my hands that changes peope's perceptions of themselves.
LOVE romance, amor! the smell of the godess, the kiss of eyelashes, ah!!!
MUSIC making, hearing, feeling!
SPIRITUALITY fire, sex, meditation, eating, tarot, esoterica, native american church, buddha, tao, breathing, paying attention to life
HUMOR laugh, damn you!
PERFORMING another way to alter people's perception of themselves
DANCE till you drop down all sweaty n pantin n dizzy
DRAWING WRITING somehow these are similar for me
NATURE gots to love it, given my life to saving it

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh yeah and also
BULLWHIPS
but those could go under meditation. no they get their own category. yup.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Re- inventing the wheel that one has kept me busy for years..making the better mouse trap I have been working on that one for about a year now insted of a bar that comes down and snaps thier little neck like a twig.. mine glues thier little paws to the trap then makes them listen to Garth Brooks and the best of Barry Manilow for 11 hrs until the glue wears off after an ordeal like that the mouse will never come back to your house...::laughs :::

For real there are passions other than fire ??? well I'll be damned...I did marry a passon once after the divorce i couldnt aford anything else but a pack of matchs .. and the rest has kind of gone downhill from there.

Oh yea and bullwhips I put them mixed in with foreplay categaory

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Athletics:I bike for long distances. (Well... long times around my town). Colorguard, that's a bunch of fun and I'm the only guy on the team. (Score! lol jk jk)

Art:Occasionaly I draw. But it's mostly just squiggles. I color line art. Mostly I like to look at Tribal art.

Music:I listen to alot. Techno mostly (DJ Tiesto and DJ Doboy rule) Want to get into drumming for drum cirlces, just don't know how to make a drum.

Misc. I write somewhat. Well, I like to. Never finished a story yet but I have alotta whacked up dreams that I'd want to write down. I'm active in the boy scouts. Next summer I'm working on the last requirement to be an Eagle scout.

Um. That's about it.
Kinudin

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
mixing jungle, surfing, diving, travelling.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Stellamember
63 posts

Posted:
other passions? well firstly my friends, nothing beats hanging out with people whom i consider closer than family sometimes. Occasionaly we do absolutely nothing because there's no need to impress each other or any reason to find something more interesting than just being in each other's company. We're a bunch of crazies who like to do odd things like host potluck fancy-dress masquerades in our spare time. We're also working on a giant 3D alphabet.

After my friends, mostly anything art realted that can turn into a spiritual experience. Creation i mean. Includes music, drawing, painting, sewing, POI of course, writing and film (which i plan to study after high school)

thats mostly my entire life, my life is my passion

rocketfire_tothemoon@hotmail.com CARPE DIEM seize the day and you will never regret your actions

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
yoga (every aspect included-spiritual, diet, physical, mental-the whole kit and kaboodle), rollerblading,
basketball,
swimming-I'm a sport junkie...in five minutes I'm going to start doing aikido...so excited...umm let's see what else....
my family-they're so great,
ma friends *hugs*,
thinking about the meaning/purpose of life , laughing ,
meditating (been doin' it for a month-most challenging thing evar!),
anywho I think that's it

Peace, luv and Passions to all of U

Om Namah Sivaya

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
well, first and foremost, music. I DJ whenever I can. mainly psy-trance and breakbeats. as well as DJing I also produce the music at home (very poorly I might add).

I also am an artist. I like sculpture the best. right now I'm doing a huge painting project, a mural on a whole room.

its not really a passion, but I do smoke alot of rich brownery (we dont have the color green where I live).

BURNING MAN. more then just the event though. I try as much as possible to spread the feeling in my daily life. only 23 days left til I go home.

and finally I'm working toward living the impeccable life of a spiritual warrior, and gaining the knowledge of the earth.

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Love: HAPPY HAPPY SMILY LOVE!

Peace: everybodys gotta find theirs
Harmony: no need to explain.
Spirituality: (reffer to description in arashi's post)
Music: studying sound! making psy trance and other types of music... listening to it is also very fun...
Friends: they are fun!
Reading: I found one day that knowledge was the key...
Manipulation: I was told one day to see these things as objects I am now doing precicely that, Glass if you read this; THANK YOU!
RPG's: video games!!!! kick ass, zelda anyone?
Computers/Techonology: um... a um... cool

Thats all I can remember. Titti Effen Ta Ta for now..
Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I'm passionate about so many things...

but

I have been completely overwhelmed by the intensity of my feelings for my seven month old baby Jett.

He is incredible.

Motherhood is sooooo groovy. It's incredibly fulfilling.

Love and Light,

Finn

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Finn:

I have been completely overwhelmed by the intensity of my feelings for my seven month old baby Jett.

He is incredible.

Motherhood is sooooo groovy. It's incredibly fulfilling.

Oooooh! Congratulations! Is he your first?

Can we see pictures?

-Mike

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Mike,

He is our first. Unfortunately I don't have any pics online. I've been meaning to get around to scanning some for ages. As soon as I do it I'll upload them into an album here.

Thanks for asking

Finn (proud mum)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm training to be a pediatrician. I love kids! They're so cool!

It's this little person busy putting himself together.

[ 03 August 2002, 11:59: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike