Page:
BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
Hi ya,

Once i finish my job and go back to being a lazy student in Brighton in september; i want to get pink wool dreads. I met a girl on the beach at the weekend who did her own and said she would do mine for me which is a result as i would have gone up to London to get them done otherwise and they charge more than she will do them for (she'll do them for £50). I don't know a lot about dreads and i'm a little worried that they will ruin my own hair (as i have really long good condition hair and don't want to fuck it up); and maybe think that wool braids would be better; does anyone know? Also does anyone know of a place in Brighton where i can buy the wool, or a website i can buy them from? I heard there was somewhere in Lewes but thats a bit of a mission for me.

Thanks xxx

The bigger the pants the better!

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Mostly dreads are knotted hair....

So I would think it's not a good Idea if you don't want to fuck up you long well contitioned hair... once you get dreads there's pretty much no turning back... you can't really brush them out once they're fully formed.... they're just like matted knotted things....So the only way to remove them is to cut them out.

Adding woolen ones would probable knot your hair up anyway like wraps can.... the hair around them just tangle at the attechment

If you want to keep your hair in good condition, I'd go the braids

.:* Says the pixie with long dreadies down her back *:.

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
thanks, i'd love to have dreads, but scared about what i would look like with no hair after i took them out, i'll go with the origonal plan of braids xxx.

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
do the dreads !
have no fear !
chicks with dreads rock !
So do bald chicks !
just do it u'll look & feel fabulous & u've got the rest of ur life to grow back ur long well conditioned hair, that is if u ever get rid of those dreads that u've loved since the second u got 'em !
big love & funky hair 2 u !

Forever spiraling upwards towards unknown destiny.Where will it end ? Where did it start ?Why ask so many questions ?

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Gotta agree with Pixie. If you really want dreads you will have to sacrifice your beautiful hair.
I have alot of friends with dreads, most of them say they wouldn't have got them done if they'd had nice hair before hand. Also, alot of people get them done because they think their gonna be hassle free. If you want nice dreads, and not just one big matted mess, you have to really look after them. Their even more work, especially if your hair is naturally straight, because it dosn't knot-up as well.
My friend Rosy hated her dreads. She combed them out, but it took her a week to do and two bottles of conditioner. It also pulled out half of her hair.
I'm sorry if I sound like I'm going on a negative one. I absolutely love dreads, but advise that you're totally sure you're willing to go through all the hassle.

Hugz xxx

Az abouve, So below...

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
Right definately not going with the dreads now. I think that the wool braids will give me just as good a look, but without the worry of having to get the dreads out. I think its a case of with the braids what have i got to loose, but with the dreads i have got my hair to loose.

Don't know what i'm bothered for anyway, i'm only going to go and set my hair alight when i spin so whether its braided or dreads who's gona care when i have no hair coz it burnt off!!!

Cheers everyone, i know i can trust spinners as a good source of information xx

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
hiya, i had dreads for four years and they were really long

recently got rid cos of new job in posh place but managed to comb them out too,
buckets of conditioner, a loving boyfriend who can detangle like a bitch

so dont despair, will reck condition but not length or owt

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

3,492 posts

Posted:
Just for the other half of the glass story (to make your desision even harder )

I do have dreads and have had them for ages and I love 'em to bits! Before I got them I had really long (down to my bum) thick thick red hair and evryone always commented on how lovely it was...

But I love my dreads more than I ever loved my hair just strait....

I know the desision is a big one and it has to be made for the right reasons and be true to what you really want... and if you want to have long conditioned hair dreads would not be the way to go.... braids can be taken out again, and leave your hair in good condition... But I still love my dreadies and how I'm always adding little bits and pieces of treasures to them.... They've really grown with me...

I've found them to be no trouble at all, but mine are not the straight hairdresser kind of dreads... they're more lumpy... more the earthy, wild, natural look.... Well i love 'em

And for anyone who cares: I WASH my dreads! (frequently asked question)

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
The glass story???
Glass like dreads
do the hair

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Not quite sure what the exact exchange is anymore, but £50 is a lot of money (I know that much!)

You sure you're willing to risk it? What if you don't like it?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
I really want dreads!! But i've spent ages trying to grow my hair - although they look wicked, theres the chance that i'd hate them and want brushable/washable hair back!!
One of my mates had dreads, got nits and had to shave them off! Not so bad for blokes but don't know if the bald look would suit me!
i was thinking of getting dreads when i go travelling - the idea that it'd be less hassle, easier to manage. True/false??
wouldn't have to worry so much about having to wash..... hmmmm....

Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
Dont worry bout it, propper dreads not your hair and put it out of condition but looks great but if you are having wool rpas dont worry im 15 and i do my own occaionally much more convenient. Just go with the flow, have fun and explore, girls with dreads do look good so no worries k?

Ill only bite if you ask me nicely.

3,492 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by glass: The glass story???

I was just refering to the "is the glass half full or half empty" thing

quote:
Originally posted by firefly: wouldn't have to worry so much about having to wash..... hmmmm....

They do start to smell after a while if you don't wash them (I wash mine....with Shampoo, just no conditioner) A friend of mine gave me one of his dreads that he's cut out and I put it in my hair and when I washed it, it fell apart! It was the grot that was keeping it together! hahaha

quote:
Originally posted by firefly: theres the chance that i'd hate them and want brushable/washable hair back!!
Totally! you do.... you go in and out of fazes... I wish I could brush my hair again... The feeling of a brush on my sculp would be like this awsome massage! But then your like I So love my dreads!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I never thought I'd see the day that someone from the UK was asking where to find wool. Shurely this is a sign of the apocolypse.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Kez-Schmezmember
30 posts

Posted:
Hallo... I've wanted dreads for freakin donkey's years, but anyway... ummm... I was just wondering how much shorter dreads make your hair??? V curious!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
I'm a guy, and Azie, while it sounds like you're totally backed off of dreads, or if still considering them, it's gonna be a tough decision, as everyone knows here, just wanted to let you know I think a good set of braids really look cool, even when you step out in different lights...from sexily casual to friendly to sleekly formal and elegant...you thinking pink for those too? What's your hair color now, I wonder?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

3,492 posts

Posted:
Kez, when they really start to form properly (like really matt up) they get heaps shorter.... some times even about half the length you hair was before!
It's kind if like when you curl your hair, the bounce of it makes it seem shorter
dreads make your hair heaps thicker! Hats don't fit anymore and just try to get a narrow necked shirt on and off!

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
i got my hair sectioned off with rubber bands last september before i went travelling...thats actually a really good way to do it...it is going to look ugly as shit when theyre first startiong (like a month or two depending on how well you maintain them) and when youre meeting new people all the time (travelling...) you dont have to worry about what they think...you can kinda reinvent yourself everytime you change cities...whereas if youre around kids and people that already know you (and maybe arent that understanding) it can be very frustrating hearing every idiots comments...

personally i think dreads make a girl ten times sexier.

the length of the hair will definitely decrease, my dreads go down to the top of my nostril-bump things, and my loose hairs i keep discovering go to the bottom of my mouth...

it is a commitment, definitely dont do it if you have little/no patience or must be completely presentable and unable to hide under hats/bandanas all the time (in the beginning)

i sectioned off and knotted up a friend of mine's hair for free and after two months she just got sick of the commitment and brushed them out...big mess but she did it...

also if you have dreads and you decide you dont want them, you can be patient and let the roots grow without twisting them and start washing more frequently, you will have normal hair with dreads at the end and when you have enough you can just snip the knotty parts off...not as instantaneous as cutting your hair down to like 3 inches, but it will work without too much awkward stage...

if you do decide to get them definitely think about some oil-free hair soap www.knottyboy.com has some even though its kinda expensive it works very well (am i allowed to plug products here?!?!)
get a shower cap and some bandanas too!
swim in the ocean!!!

and there will be a lot of twisting involved

i think thats all the information i can offer...hope it helps!

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
ah one thing i forgot is a big thing!

once you have them your life will change alot!
people are going to look at you differently and you will stand out in a crowd...
its funny the way non-dreaded people view dreaded people...
i am a waiter (so far) and i see a lot of kids come in and ask me if i know "so and so" because we both have dreads...its funny like they think we have secret dreadlock meetings late at night or something..

also they work as a sort of ignorance filter sometimes...

shortsighted conservative judgmental assholes will usually be repelled at the very sight of your "unkempt" hair and you dont even have to go through the formalities of being polite to them...they dont even approach you...

and also when you dread your hair you make new friends...the one sliving on your head...when im feeling around my head i always run into the crooked one in the back or "the most famous dread," the one that hangs right in front of my left eye all the time....one of my friends named the little one that always fell out fo her ponytail "baby ratty"...

stuff like that makes life fun!

Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
This is my step by step guide for ya':
1) Find 2-3 willing friends
2) get some good movies (it takes a while)
3) section hair in half-inch squares with small black bands usually come in large amouts eg-250
4)back comb the sections of hair into large matts
5) use "dreadhead" wax to twist the hair that is matted into tight coils
6) one all done keep twisting these while finishing watching movies
7) if possibe tie black elastics into ends to secure them
8) These wont mature for months keep using dreadhead wax to twist them
9) keep twisting them between your palms will tighten them into maturity
10) use dreadhead soap to keep em clean
11) one mature or coiled tightly take out bottom elastics
12) just keep looking after em until they fully mature
13) if you want them out either grow them out or cut them out is the only way.

that is my guide to dreading hair = )

Ill only bite if you ask me nicely.

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone. Cheers halfabike for the info on how people will think i'm a freek, i've heard people say this before, and quite interested as a social experiment to see how people will define me by my hair.

I was thinking about getting them for when i go travelling (won't be going for over a year), so i'm gona get them done in september and if i like them get it for a years time again. So braids this time and if i feel braver in a year dreads.

Think i will get someone else to do them for me, i know it will be more expensive, but i don't want to mess it up.

Availablemember
93 posts

Posted:
Dreads are one of the most wonderful experiences you can possibly have. And they grow out of your head! There's so many things. Like the beautiful beads and rings and peyote stitches to put around them. Crystals to tuck in them. Having your lover wash them. I've even seen a woman who had embroidery on some. My favorite thing was dansing with mine. You danse straight outta ya head! and of course the fun of recieving a nickname like goldie locks.

The getting started is a little tuff. If your by the beach, traveling or in arid climates i found it easier for them to really take form. For me it was about 2 months for my true dread head to form. Thats 2 months of shaping and pulling apart. I didn't use any products. When they were forming i wouldn't wash them every day but did rinse with just water. When they were full on I would wash them once or twice a week with DR.Bronner's pepperment soap dilluted of course. unless i was swimming or it was raining that was the only time i got them wet to prevent bad oders and mildew. if i thaught they were getting stinky or if i had been really sweaty i would spray my scalp with a tea tree oil/ water mixture. Tea tree oil is anti bacterial, fungal, and an anti septic so its good stuff to use for a quick cleaning.

i had my dreads for about 3-4 months when i was able to pull a complete piece of hair out Kez. My dreads were around 6 inches long. The hair i pulled out was about 1 foot 3 inches. it deffinately shortens it up.

so i had them for 2 years and then i cutt them. the hardest thing about having dreads is making that descission. I decided it was time for change. I felt like they started to grow seperately from me and i was afraid they were weighing me down. No way! i went through a paranoid stage that everyone would think that i was gay(i have nothing against it) and that i looked like a boy. but hair grows and i had no damage. my mom still tells me i should cutt my hair short like that again. but i'm growing it to my butt and starting from there for my next head of dreads. i don't think anyone can look bad in them. i recomend it to everyone. its been about year now and i have yet to buy a brush or comb!

Better to Burn out than Fade out, Baby!

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Me and my dreads had a great birthday at Glastonbury. My dreads were 6 years old, and I was 21
My Sis is now wondrin' about gettin dreads, and she gave it all the "I don't wanna cut my hair off after" But I just told her that was silly. Easy as that. But really, worryin about havin short hair for 1 year of your life is silly. Whats gonna happen? Nuffink, and you'll be more annoyed if you NEVER have dreads 'cos you end up in a job that wouldn't let ya? So go on everyone, get dreads

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'd actually love to have dreds, but the problem is the commitment. There are so many practical problems. Like the fact that I'm a swimmer (dreds would be like attaching a parachute to my head). Or the fact that I have to work with patients who, regardless of how I feel about it, will judge me based on my looks. Or the fact that I'm the sort of person who is always trying something new and I just wouldn't be able to hold on to the dreds very long before I wanted to try something else.

Besides, I just shaved my head last week.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
well i thought i wanted dreads too..
but i had the same dilema as my hair is super nice hair. its just past my boobs blondie brown..
i opted for braids/extentions. so now i have bum lenth braids in brown with blond and red streaks. the fake hair is flame retardant which is a plus!!! make sure it says flame retardant on the package too. it WILL still light but will put itself out much like cotton. what i did with mine was instead of burning the ends at the salon i just left them and let them dread so my "fake" hair is dreaded.. looks hella cool.. im gonna get pics up too..
it last about 3-4 months before your real hair starts dreading with it. when that happens just take them out or re-do them..
ive had mine since january..
i love em..

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
sorcha, pictures please...

anyone got a light?

3,492 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree whole heartedly with you, colours bright smile!

and with that whole people treat you like a freak thing.... well, ye' some do, but you also get all these amazing coments too!

One woman calls me lushous locks.... I used to have all these sequins and beads and stuff (still have some of them, but some fell out) in my dreads and I was on a walk and this little girl said, "look mummy, she's got all beautiful bits in her hair!" made me go all fuzzy and smiley for ages... when I arived at a fairy party, this little girl said "your hair's wicked!" And So many people comment on how lovely they are.... So you do stand out in a crowd, but that's not always a bad thing

I know a nurse who has dreads.... so there's your whole can't get a job if you've got dreads theary down the toilet!

And guys, they really aren't that much trouble... I didn't do anything with mine.... they kind of just natually formed over a few months.... my hair was bum length, mind you which does make a difference... they just form into locks anyway... you have to split the tops a little, by pulling them apart, but that's about it! no special products... exept maybe the salty ocean water... that's a good one for getting them to really matted up.... and the shampoo without conditioner is a goer aswell.

You know, the desision to cut them would be just as hard as the desision to get them.... You really grow to love them

[ 02 August 2002, 10:18: Message edited by: .:* Moon Pixie *:. ]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Ahhh dread, here we go...

I had dreads for about 6 years, big natty ones I made by platting up my hair and leaving it, just tearing them apart every so often (yeah, natty), They do shrink, after 6 years they were the same length as my hair before it was dreaded.

Cor, loads of stuff to say.

Dreads are nice to have, I tought of them as memories, I would weave things into them at diffrent parts of my life and I could always remind myself of the good times.

Dread are really nice not to have. I finally shaved mine in Oz, they were getting really heavy and stinky, and everyone in oz has dreads, so i chopped them. Afterwards it was amazing, I could feel the rain drops on my head and I spen about a week stroking the top of my head, really comforting, specially when tired. Dont let the shaving thing put you off, everyone has to learn what shape thier skull is someday. Imagine dieing not knowing what your skull is gonna look like! I kept mine shaved for a year afterwards. Now Im going back to afro.

Dreads CAN be less hassle than hair, if you dont mind them being natty and if you do have curly hair. Tearing, and burning off the wisps once a month is much less hassle than trying to drag a comb through my mop twice a day. (defore I got dreads I got a mono-dread cos I just couldent be arsed.

Dont unless you really have to try and brush it out, I did with the original mono-dread and it took three days anda lotta pain. clippers are sooo much easier.

Im gonna re-dread my head at some point, and I still have the dreads I cut off (ewww, a call for bostic perhaps?), I like them but be prepared never to run your fingers through your hair again.

one final point, coconut oil once a month left for a day and washed out again keeps the hair from drying out and dying off, eventually though, they will smell. but it will come and go.

Enjoy your heads!

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Rufusmember
15 posts

Posted:
agree wholeheartedly with the dreads and braids rock theme.. I have braids using wool and silk. plaited the wool into my hair in sections to lengthen it, then used 1 metre long, 2cm wide strips of green & black silk plaited over the top of the wood braid. I also plaited in loads of little silver bells and beads n stuff its groovy, I love my braids and i agree with the posting that said it changes the way people see you. some people love it and ask me how much it cost, some look at me and sneer, like, its got BELLS on it!and tell their kids off for staring at the strange bunny... do it dude, dreads rock, but braids rock too and are less permanent.

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
oh when i said you would stand out in a crowd i didnt mean it would be a bad thing...
its just kinda intense especially if you live in a small town...you never get a break...no matter what...i guess you just have to be able to handle that..

i didnt grow mine for attention, but it comes...
and there are always people around asking me "why do you feel you need attention so much?"
and i have to tell them "AH I DONT JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

phew.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
i was going to mention that dreading braids at the end is a good idea, thats what i did. but one question, why wool? i've seen some people that look amazing with it, but some that look terrible. Dark hair and pink/white wool doesnt seem to work...

maybe its just me

but i'm going to try some dark wool but a. how do i go about plaiting it in, doesnt it look silly when ur hair runs out?
b.doesnt it just look like a load of wool hanging out of ur head??

p.s. please remember i work for the british government (cue austin power joke) now so cant go too mental...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

Page: