TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I was sat making yet another pair of practise poi and my mum came up and asked to have a go.
I was really shocked by this since no-one in my family has shown any interest in having a go before.
So, I jumped up and handed her a set, picked up a set myself and got her spinning them forwards, which she picked up with no problems. Then I got her doing split time forwards spinning, also with no problems.

Here's the bit that really shocked me though, bearing in mind that she's alost completely unco-ordinated when trying anything like a diabolo or a yoyo - without any prompting or problems, she started doing the figure of 8!!!
And then, when I showed her the butterfly - she did that too (admittedly only for about 5 beats, but that's still pretty impressive for someone who's only been spinning for about 1 minute). I was just stood there and must have looked somewhat like this .

At this point, I was thinking 'This is incredable. How is she picking this up so quickly? What else can she do?'
So I tried to get her outside and trying hip and shoulder reels - but she then decided that she'd had enough and wandered off to do something else.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
yep, my mums interested but we haven't managed to organise ourselves yet.

the other night though I was play at a friends house and this girl, with no previous experience, is doing the 3 beat weave.

I was like

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
My brother asked for a go with my staff recently and before I even started trying to teach him a few moves he was already doing figure of 8's, finger spins, behind the back, and helicopter spins, on his first bloody go!

He's been a black belt in Higashi Kai for about 15 years though and so I reckon that if you've got good rythym and skill in co-ordination you can really get a head start with spinning...

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
My gradma offered to do a gig for me the other day!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
go mom!!!

i think your moms a closet raver..

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
nothing like 60's happy hardcore.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
See, so many of us assume that our parents aren't really people. But our parents were our age once.

Except my parents. My mom is 68 and my dad is 81 in two days. Generation gap? Hah! More like a generation chasm.

My parents so aren't people. My mom's idea of being rebellious was wearing slacks in the 50's instead of a skirt.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
I was so excited when I first got into poi. I came home from school for Christmas break and started explaining poi. I hadn't even said the name yet when my mom chimes in, "Oh poi, that's that fire stuff I did when I was in Hawaii (25 years ago). She went off to find her practice poi while my dad stood there in awe, having no idea what either of us was talking about.

Like MikeG, my mom was very conservative, she didn't wear slacks until her senior year of high school which was '72. Well, I guess she did sneek them under her skirt a few times before that and took her skirt off when she got to school.... And she did have a disco ball in her room....*Cage thinking* .....maybe my mom was okay back then.....

peace & luv,
Cage

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Got a similar story, my mom was a majorette in high school down in Key West, FL back in the 50s and did double fire staff performances too. Needless to say, she loves watching me do fire poi. Hippy parents rule! Whenever I trip or smoke up with my dad, he's always wanting me to spin fire.

Fear the evil monkey!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cage:

Like MikeG, my mom was very conservative, she didn't wear slacks until her senior year of high school which was '72. Well, I guess she did sneek them under her skirt a few times before that and took her skirt off when she got to school.... And she did have a disco ball in her room....*Cage thinking* .....maybe my mom was okay back then.....

peace & luv,
Cage

My mom was a Depression/WWII child. Their idea of debauchery was going to the Chinese restaurant down the street on a hot night because the restaurant had air conditioning. Even my dad says she was a total square. She didn't even drink until they met.

My dad was a bit more wild. He played pranks when he was a kid growing up in Detroit. Did his fair amount of drinking and girls in college. I mean, this is a man who once told me "Look, whatever is going on, as long as nobody's getting permanently injured, and everyone is a consenting adult, then it's not perverted." Whenever he's buying dinner and I have friends with me, he insists on buying them all drinks.

Problem is that he was almost 56 when I was born. Graduated high school in 1940 and college in 1944. When he was my age, so many things were so different. He was in a fraternity in college and in ROTC...then again, WWII was going on at the time. Know that famous statue of the American soldiers raising the American Flag at Iwo Jima? My dad was there. He saw it happen.

There were no hippies, no raves, no rock 'n roll (Elvis hadn't even entered the building, let alone left it), no computers, no fire spinners, and people thought about marijuana the way that we think about crack today.

Yet he insists--and I believe him--that things haven't changed all that much. Teenagers still have sex before marriage (he was 16...same age as me), they still drank under age, they smoked (although smoking in general was a lot more socially acceptable then than now), they cheated on their wives, they killed each-other, and the older generation still looked back wistfully to a "simpler" time that probably never existed and wondered how the world was going to survive these "young houligans" who were going to be running the world next.

He told me about when he was joining his ship in San Diego he walked past this tattoo parlor and there was a girl inside getting two "One Way" signs tattooed onto the insides of her thigs (she'd be around 80 now...wonder how she feels about that decision if she's still alive).

My dad is a walking history book. All that boring, dry stuff you read about in school...he was there, he saw it, he lived it. Having older parents is actually really interesting...*once you move out of the house.*

[ 31 July 2002, 10:45: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
hehe, i was telling my Nan the other day (my mothers mother) about fire spinning, and i said i had just started to learn Staff spinning as well, and she goes, "hey, that sounds alot like what i used to do with fire batons when i was in school...." ! hehehe my nan ROCKS! she is over seventy now, and such a groovy ol gramma!

but i know what Mr Bovril Monkey means tho, because whenever my young cousins come over (aged 12 and 9) they pick up my practice poi and start doing weaves and overhead butterflys and all this stuff.. and im thinking DAMN YOU it took me weeks to learn that move..... *Shrug* that could have something to do with the fact that i have absolutely no coordination tho, hehehe `

Currently on the right side up of the world.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
makes me wonder if fire is in the blood?

::off to ask parents::

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Rex, wouldn't that burn? Maybe though. Who knows? Maybe my kids will be spinning fire poi at 3 years old haha

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Being from Nz the poi is a part of our cultural heritage. We learn a lot of it in school as we are growing up.You find a lot of NZ's have a basic knowledge of poi...But still I am surprised when my Dad picks up a poi and starts to put together a little rountine (yeah he was in a cultural group when he was younger so that has helped.).. It kinda irks me though when my nana whips out moves that I have never seen.
I actually had a really nice observation from a sweet girl at burleigh heads meet the other night she asked me if I was from NZ after I had stopped spinning and I replyied in the affirmative to which she replyed, " you can tell, most nz's have quite a different kind of style, its very tribal and earthy.."
Im so proud that I have bought up with it, thanks Mah and Pah...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"