Page:
Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i'm wondering about the "free lessons" on HOP. they are really good, but now there is a problem. i've learnt all the moves (and some others) so i came to ask myself: have they ever been updated? is there any possibility they will be updated again? since there are a lot of talented people and move-descriptions out there someone maby vould put them together with animated gifs... they really halp when learning!

biggrin

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
FIrstly mr dear sir....

1. Go Pick up your poi.

2. Let go of them. Do NOT be alarmed if they appear to plummet downwards, this is normal and is the effect of gravity.

3. Read the entire Poi Moves section on this forum.

4. Try to learn at least one new thing from each thread, not necessarily actual "moves" in every case.

5. Repeat to your self in a loud calming voice "There are no such things as moves.... there are no such things as moves... there are no such things as moves" - There are no such thing as moves. Only exercises there are to learn how to control Poi jedi master you will become time with.

6. Practice moves you have read about.

7. Play with your Poi more. Try playing with them for 10 minutes without either one doing a single revolution. smile

8. Play with something else. Juggle, play with stick, diablo, doubles. Try giving your brain a breal from spinning. It may need to relax once in a while.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Written by: Untimely Calculations Often Fail

Try playing with them for 10 minutes without either one doing a single revolution.

You ask the impossible!

Seriously though, turn on some music and start spinning. New ideas will appear from nowhere.

Spin with others and their style will autonomically blend with your own.

Watch a COL video and realize how boundless poi can be.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I doubt the lessons will ever be updated. I believe there have been many people willing and able to make new/updated lessons for HoP that were turned down. Not really sure on the reasons why but...

I remember back when I learned most of whats on the lessons, I wanted more. I found my answer in videos. Back then, however, there was no videos forum. You had to dig through thousands of posts in the poi moves forum to find such things. Youre lucky to have the luxury of the video forum. Explore it. Embrace it. Download it... All... And watch them 100 times each. When youve learned all the moves within them, come back and let us know - well give you some new moves smile

Of course "go out and play with your poi" is a great suggestion but most of the people who say that dont really remember the old days when they could do only a few moves - the weave, the butterfly, and the smacking themselves in the head.

"There are no moves" also holds true but this is more of an epiphany that everyone has once they've actually gotten past the moves, rather than a good teaching tool.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

dj_retromember
87 posts

Posted:
yea note spinning with others is hard when no one around you spins...fire at least. i have a few glowstringers...and they focus on wraps. but when i do get to spin with dantana smile much fun is had by all and i always walk away a better spinner for it. every time i see him i learn something new about poi, be it nexus theory, that stuff was more than cool, or even just adding beats to my ttn, or help with my btb stuff. spinning with others it a great way to help learn. that and teaching others. i started my friends doing it...got them to do 3bt weaves in like 10 min...something that took me like a month on my own, but i learned some things from them. just always be thinking...thats all i do at work as i walk around is think about how they travel around my body...and what i read in here. poi is a never ending and always growing art form and i hope and pray one day i can even start to consider myself to be approching the jedi level. im working on a few things that push me that much closer!

anyways i love it b/c i can pick them up and not worry about learning something, just work on making everything as fluid and perfect as possable...its never ending and in the 4 years that ive been spinning its only gotten old once...and that was to do me being really busy with other things that ending up only being a waist of time. believe it or not...im rambeling.......-shuts up-

<( ' ' )>
Fear the Kirby

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"You ask the impossible!"

I can play for as long as I like without them doing a single revolution.
smile

Pendulums,
Catches,
Throws...

The list is almost endless.

And the Primary offical reason HOP will not dore more lessons, is that it will lead to many more spinners doing harderand more technical tricks, with apauling fundamentals. At least thats what I think the ruling was.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
IT lessons aren't going to be updated, and Malcolm has several good reasons for this that I can agree with.

Not telling what they are though!

Practice, download videos, find other spinners, travel the world, move to London. Lots of ways to expand more, but only as long as you're having fun smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
waaa! why won't you tell us?

i have a few theories, but why wouldn't you let us know?

:sulk:

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
ok thx!

thanks for tips UCOF, but the question wasn't "please update so i can learn sometghing again"

mainly, i brought the question up becouse "the lessons" often describe better than forums and such. CesaR started the thread "pitricks summa" and wa redirected to wikipoidia. personally, i think poidia is good, but it isn't so _educating_

i.e. i want to learn tangles/airwraps/hyperloops and i cant find a good description. maby i haven't search enough, but the most descriptions i've found is crazy-good spinners explaining to crazy-good spinners how to do. and therefor i don't get a thing.

ofcourse, i understand some and learn and get more advanced like everybody else, but making a "lesson" of it makes things easier to understand.

thanks for the tips and an awnser to the questions.... but i would like to hear an awnser to bluecats question though biggrin

it's you friend!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I'd like to hear that answer too cos it confuses the hell outta me wink

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I originally didn't care but since Bluecat and PoiPoiPoi want to know I'm sure I'd look cooler if I wanted to know too...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Im with NYC cool

bandwidth innit?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
what about a new title of thread?
"the ancient mystery of why the free lessons wont be updated" ?

anybody voting for?

wink

it's you friend!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

waaa! why won't you tell us?

i have a few theories, but why wouldn't you let us know?

bandwidth? videos take loads, forums take hardly any...

and:

Written by: Untimely Calculations Often Fail

5. Repeat to your self in a loud calming voice "There are no such things as moves.... there are no such things as moves... there are no such things as moves" - There are no such thing as moves. Only exercises there are to learn how to control Poi jedi master you will become time with.

Balls. Great big dangley ones on strings. Moves exist, they are crystalized patterns from the matrix of posibilities that are easy to demonstrate and to learn. To say they don't is to deny the purpose of this very forum... And the day i meet a jedi master is the day i see someone spinning fire with *no chains* (and i don't mean staff).

--ben

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
do you mean clubs?

-><- Kallisti

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
No, I mean great big dangley balls on strings. Moving ones.

--ben

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
If you want to learn new stuff, take all the moves you already know, and try to do them btb, or butterfly, or wall plane or combine half of one with the start of another, or turn in an odd place, or swap the leading and trailing poi, or read some posts in here and then fiddle about a bit, or study the moves you know and see what they have in common, or meet other spinners and ask them what a move looks like, then play with that... then work out how to get from one move to another.
telling yourself moves don't exist ain't going to work. telling others moves don't exist ain't going to work. the moves are there, the flow comes from learning how to move between the moves.

--ben

Moves exist, jedis don't. Deal with it.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol ben, moves dont really exist. but dont take it hard.

theres lots of things that dont really exist exept by mutual consent and nessecity, goverment for example.

silly argument anyway.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Or blue. or money. or god. or the UK.
They are convinient labels for abstract concepts that aid communication.
The word exist comes from the latin root 'exsistere' which means to come forth, or to manifest, and 'manifest' means to be clearly apparent to sight or understanding. I'm sure i can manifest a five beat weave clearly to someones sight and understanding, so it exists.
Saying it dosen't exist stops you from being able to explain what it is you mean in a couple of words, which is no use at all when someone says they've learned all the moves, what next?
And before anyone says it's all semantics, i'm aware of this- all arguements are semantic ones, semantics is the study of meaning in language, and if people are going to communicate using language then defining the language you're using is the first step towards understanding.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

--ben

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'm with ya ben. all this 'moves don't exist' is one of the most ridiculous things i ever heard... rolleyes (prepared to argue point if you jedi blokes are up for it...;) )

i know about the bandwidth.. that was one of my theories...
another is the propensity of people to show vids and have other sites with tutorial stuff on them

more interested in why dom wouldn't tell us.... ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
but a gif picture wont take much place either... nor the text to explain the move. so i don't think bandwith is a problem....

when i looked at the lessons i saw there was a new entry about 5beat weave! :O so there are things like updates!

but if it does update, then i would like to know how often that happens.

about getting new views of spinning: i have found the best to restrict myself... i learnt the 5bt while i had a different jacket, so i couldn't bend myself like i was used to. i got in love woth all horizontals (like corcscrew) when i spun inside with low ceiling..... tried it?

it's you friend!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
rarely.

have you seen the clip for the 5bt reverse weave for example?

it ain't a 5bt weave like i've ever seen...

cole. x

p.s. three lesbians wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
but there are no moves....or is it one move that you can split by catagorising sections during the flow....or is it when you stop the move stops.....or is stalling just another addition to the flow.......are moves only in the mind.....or are moves only in the fingers.......is there one flow or lots of flows......is flow a move......are moves purely training towards learning flow.....do I care....do you care......does the flow care.....do we need a thread......does flow need and thread.....should I do a Durbs.....

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol I just checked that reverse 5bt vid ubblol Isn't it some kind of same time butterfly switching side to side?!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

rarely.

have you seen the clip for the 5bt reverse weave for example?

it ain't a 5bt weave like i've ever seen...

cole. x

LOL, I've thought that before as well smile

And I agree that bandwidth can't be the issue - those animated GIFs aren't that big!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
moves exist, you dont have to stick to the moves though.....

and im confused, did someone say three lesbians? confused

ubbrollsmile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep ubbangel

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
What tenticle said,,,about moves I mean,,those are my sentiments too we need " moves" in order to communicate. Have you found the other websites with more detailed and advanced tutorials? there's a few out there and they should keep you busy for a while. Have you practiced all the moves you currently know in both directions? even and split time? Have you worked on your butterfly <> weave transitions? after all as someone on someother thread put it so well,,,,you don't want your show going all side on.

Find a few videos that you really like and do the watch them a hundred times thing> I have two videos that I've been watching and learning from for well over a year now but they both feature French music, which is driving me nuts,,,lol but I'll live.

Every time you watch a video, try learning one new thing,,or move practice it, get it down, then practice getting into it,,and getting out of it,,,smoothly. I don't know how much you practice but if you learn two new things a week, then at the end of six months,,,you do the math.

Don't be intimitated by these " crazy good " spinners I'm figuring most of these guys have thousands of hours of practice and most likely come from other object manipulation backgrounds...expertise comes with time and effort, after all if poi spinning were easy, then way more people would be doing it.

But the best way to learn,,in my opinion, is to find others to spin with. This might be easier if you did move to London, I know I'd sure like to spend a few months there, but it's well worth the effort. In fact, if I had to learn poi all over again, I'd have taken all the hours I've lurked on this site ( and others ) gone out and got a second job and used the money to travel and take lessons.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
And perhaps try

https://www.spherculism.com

for all the tutorial videos on there smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
What is that 5bt rev weave tutorial vid??? I liked the old one better... it was blurry and hard to learn from, but once i'd got the rev 5 i learnt the one in the tutorial, it's way nicer than what i had at first... (it was the veiny-side-of-the-wrists- (is that the back or the front of your wrist, do you think?) -together version, much better for learning 7s from...) in fact, both the new 5bt tutorial vids are crap, the drawn-on poi and lack of background don't give any sense of perspective, and it took me a while to work out that the poi were moving in and out of the picture and not parallel to the screen...

and Dunc, flow isn't a move, it's where you understand the moves well enough to be able to change between them without running through the whole pattern if you don't want to. Stalls and wraps are part of flow (*especially* stalls...)

--ben

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
flow isnt a move? are we reaching some kind of comprimise?

Moves exist but they dont have to?

T wave

yes, im a shitstirer

-><- Kallisti

Page: