Page:
arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
This is just a friendly note to help out our new (within the past six months) hoppers.

When replying to, or begining a topic, please take note that this is an international website with people from all parts of the globe. We are mainly an English speaking Community, however, English may not be somebodies first language. Please take the time to read over your own posts before posting and please refrain from using what is commonly refered to as "MSN Speak" or even "Quick SMS".

What I mean by this is quick references such as 'ur' for you are or you're, skool for school, and etc.

If we can all just take a little time, it will make it easier for all in the long run.

Thanks. hug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Simian I think that is just being considerate to others who dont speak english as a first language. This is a global site, and english is hard enough to understand for some people, without all the txt speak bull [censored] that people use.
soapbox thankx

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
eeek im totaly screwed then i am the most dyslexic person i know and cant spell for toffy. i have to run all my posts through the spell checker on word befor i post (befor any one coments. this comp dosent have word on yet and using internet based spellchechers takes forever thus the lack of posts latly) i rely on the fact that people get the gist of what im trying to say.
EDITED_BY: Mint Sauce (1103060723)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Ti amo tanto miss valura.
Sia forse conciderate per scrivere in inglese là.

Not every one here wants to spend their time trying to understand some *&^" that cant type with good english, i certainly don't, i find reading hard enough as it is in english with out l337 |30ll0[k$ every where. Its like being in a yahoo chat room.

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Simian, It's not that I'm wanting you to feel that I want to 'govern' the way that you choose to speak here on Home of poi, I only ask all here to be considerate to others.

You (general use, not directed at any one person) may be able to understand 'txtspk', 'geekspeak', 'llama mateing calls' and other languages that you may or may not speak wink, but others may not. I mean, if you started speaking in 1's and 0's, I'd be lost, the same as if you started speaking in German. *note to our German Hoppers - This was the first language I thought of, it is in no way an insult, I like those hog dogs with that sour thing on it as well, just as a side note, it's just that I don't know how to speak German. hug

I'm not wanting to get into how different countries spell one word different from another, that is not the issue. I don't really care if you spell color or colour, what I do care about is the laziness the in involved with words such as 'click' spelt as 'klic' and etc.

hug

Edit - Simian, please understand my use of the word 'govern' is in no way me trying to put words into your mouth, these are my words, no insults included
EDITED_BY: arsn (1103073236)

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Ti amo tanto miss valura.
Sia forse conciderate per scrivere in inglese là.

You angel PK... I love you too sweetheart hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
hehe

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I totally agree with you arsn.

In all seriousness that would be like someone coming from a foreign country into your home and speaking their language to you, expecting you to understand, then getting mad at you when you can't figure out what they are trying to tell you.

Respect the fact that their may be people in here who don't understand what you are going to be saying when you are shortening things.

Leet language was created by English speaking computer geeks come on people have some respect with the fact that some people on here don't speak English as their first language so making sure you speak properly instead of shortening things is a mark of respect for those people.

And it is hardly a huge ask, I mean surely you can move your fingers around the keyboard just that tiny little bit more and put the effort in to do it properly.

I mean it is only two extra keystroke from "ur" to your...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Spanner

Written by: simian

Why do we need vowels anyway? shrug

Whatever you say, Smn smile

wink

ubblol ubblol ubblol

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i will answer to smn. It sounds more like my real name than simian.

Although i'd prefer Mr Mnky, if you don't mind tongue

Written by: Medusa

that would be like someone coming from a foreign country into your home and speaking their language to you, expecting you to understand, then getting mad at you when you can't figure out what they are trying to tell you.

Who says people are coming into your house and getting mad at you? confused

Without those elements the analogy becomes:

"someone from a foreign country speaking their language to you, and you not understanding them".

What's the problem there? If you don't understand them, then you can nicely ask them to speak language you understand. Doesn't mean they shouldn't speak a foreign language if that's what they choose to do.

i totally appreciate Arsn and Valura's point. It's well made. When attempting to communicate a mass message to an international community, it's considerate to write in a way that's easy to understand.

The small aspect of this thread i don't like are the negative feelings toward equally valid forms of communication which involve some interpretation.

It's true that if your message needs interpretation then it's potential audience is made more limited, but i don't think that means it's wrong to communicate in that way.

EDIT - Please note that this post, and my previous ones, weren't intended to be about 1337 (Leet). Although they do apply to 1337, i'm referring generally to abbreviation, phonetic spelling and other forms of deliberate mispelling.
EDITED_BY: simian (1103247510)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
doesn;t the hebrew alphabet not use vowels? or the ancient hewbrew one? or something? i'm reading a book at the moment about prophecies and i thought it said something about that

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
What! Hebrew = txt ? eek

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
.:bump:.

this is a good thread. if you don't speek english, there are translator services available. if you do, SPEEK ENGLISH!! the only exception is that if you really must swear, please swear in l33t. there's no point in butchering a perfectly good language just to save seconds. if you really need that extra time, take some typing courses to hike up your WPM score.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think the point was sparkey, that if English isn't your first language and you are finding a post hard to read you can cut and paste it into a translator and find out what its all about. People using text/MSN speak or any other computer geek speak prevent people doing that because the translator programs don't understand it.

I think the main problem is some people get so used to using text/MSN spellings that they forget and use it all the time. Arsn started this thread as a little reminder to people that if you use it all the time on an international board such as this you maybe excluding some of the users from joining in the fun.

I've noticed recently that it is creeping back in again. The cu instead of see you, ur instead of you're, u instead of you, wud instead of would, any1 instead of anyone..... the list goes on. If you try to put any of these into a translator program you'll either get gobbledegook back or nothing at all. It really doesn't take that long to type words out in full and it makes it so much easier for people that don't use English as their first language.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
bwahahahahaha! ubblol
I am soooooooooo guilty of that... as skullduggery knows wink

Though ill try to stop... just cos im considerate like that...

Can you use cos? Cos i use cos quite alot when im speaking confused

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
oh, i see. that hadn't really occured to me. i guess i should have read the post more carefully. but my point is valid, be nice to english. being mean to it won't get you anywhere. txt speak is one of my pet peeves, i'm embaressed that i don't use propper capitolization online.
EDITED_BY: sparkey! (1114367385)

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think the main problem people have with ym typing is i get letters mixed up when i type, but i think most people on this website now have got used to it and can talk will speak

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

10,530 posts

Posted:
ubblol

oh no wait... thats taking the piss out of me ubbrollsmile

Still funny tho... ubblol

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Hehehe.. brilliant ubblol

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
*runs off to see if she has been using quick sms...*
oh no!!!....*is scared* i dont think i have...

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
ubblol

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
English is not my first language,and i have to admit that my grammar and spelling can be dodgy sometimes.I use text speak to hide that sometimes.Just as English spread around the globe so did text speak.I dont understand a word of leet.I think it has something to do with my accent,so i would pronounce words as i would sound them from the text and i wouldnt make any sense.

BUT,i have a few HOP friends who are not english speaking,but we use English as our Lingua Franca and with that comes the ineveitable (sp?) txt speak.

I just thought i would give a second language speakers point of view on this.But thank you all for being patient with us non-first-language-folk and turning a blind eye to spelling and grammar.

Spinning makes my world go round

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:

How does anyone feel about using binary code instead of English?

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
okay my bad...

you have a very good point there!
perhaps this thread should be sticky!

i'll refrain from the shortchat!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

10,530 posts

Posted:
this as a sticky might be a good idea, but the sticky at the top of the thread has most of the points already raised here...

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1116017865)

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
I'd say Skullduggery got the main point - for a lot of people its not laziness its habit - i hang around on a few chat rooms and because of how they run to keep up with the conversation i end up using text speak (see your ALL guilty of it :P). I try to used full English as much as possible but i tend to back slide :P

And out of interest - how many people are there that don't have English as a first language? i did a survey on here for some stats and most of the people are from the UK, US and Australia - it was only 100 people sampled but ...

Also you say about using slang and text speak - what about poi speak? its hard enough to follow a description of a move when English is all you've spoken all your life - how hard is it when its a second or third language? :P

back

10,530 posts

Posted:
100 out of 18751 Registered Users and loads of anonomous browsers? shrug doesnt seem like a fair test to me tongue

fair play that no one could really be bothered to get a fair sample form all of that tho wink

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Incidentally, hebrew kind of does and doesn't use vowels (older hebrew is worse). It uses u and o just fine, and tries to ignore its variations on a, e, and i. That said, I'm not alone in being someone who can read it just fine when the vowels are there and can read about four words when they arn't (דוי) on the other hand I don't know how to put vowels in on my keyboard :/

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

the looney beanmember
45 posts

Posted:
if this is for newbies why does everybody have loads of posts? except me of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!

those who are possessed by nothing possess everything

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Written by: Spiderbaby

How does anyone feel about using binary code instead of English?

ASCII or Unicode?

As a geek and hacker I'd like to point out that for the most part the only people who use leetspeak are the most inept losers, whose computer use only goes as far as using other peoples programs to break into computers, that haven't been patched to protect against the most basic exploits. These people are correctly known as script kiddies or crackers, although variations on haxorz get the message across equally well. The fed always gets them in the end.

A true hacker writes so much programming code they become anal about proper spelling, punctuation and grammar in languages other than those they program in, just because it's such a pain in the ar$e fixing programs with single character mistakes in them.

https://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/65851
funny hacker vs. haxor thread on another forum.

If you're dyslexic or english is your second language you don't have to apologise, it's not like all the people with no excuse are any good at speaking english.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Page: