Forums > Social Chat > Support needed Save Ningaloo

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Save Ningaloo Reef
Unique unspoiled ecosystem under threat by a resort development. This is serious as it can be stopped before it happens. Read the website and get active. Please submit the automated letters on the website and bump this message to keep it in front and the people aware.
HOP is the most supportive online community of ethical minded people. Do the right thing and save this piece of the world. We have until late August to put the pressure on. There is hope. Do it.

[ 24. December 2002, 22:56: Message edited by: audax ]

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
*BUMP* went the thing in the night.

Are we nearly there yet?

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Freo Samba are drumming on Sun at the Rally in Fremantle. I'll be there drumming my little arms off anyone in Perth come down and you'll have some great music as well as be able to support Ningaloo Reef

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
twirling with a samba crew is THE BOMB! Big bass proper drumming crew, like 20+ drums in rythym is the way to go. Did some stuff with Sambanistas last year. Well wicked. Hope the rally goes well.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Here's hoping the emails will work...

bump...

Don't worry, be happy...

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
15000 went to the rally in Freo
Save Ningaloo

[ 02. December 2002, 21:32: Message edited by: audax ]

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
omg, this thing needs a BUMP
just a little bump, huh, just a LITTLE? come on man, just a bit

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I was out of action for so long because I was on the road and I went to Ningaloo! I have heaps to tell and photos to be scanned. It was wicked.
By the way all the old links to the website are duds. Only the last one works. I'll change it all when I get to some cheaper internet. Things have changed in the campaign a little too.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
It's gone political:(
The government is now selecting a commitee of it's own choosing to make the final and binding decision. In the meantime the developers are suing the govt for rejecting the old plan. they also have proffesional marketers IN PARLIAMENT! It's down to a straight out fight between big money corporation and poeple power. I'm sure this is going to bring on more protest action and I'm happy to take part now that I'm in Perth.

Ningaloo was wicked. The reef is accessable from the beach so all you need is some snorkelling gear and some swimming ability. So many fish! Parts of the reef near the beach have died off from an overactive spawning last winter, but it's temporary and is a sign of a highly active ecosystem. We took a glass bottom boat out into deeper water where there coral more vibrant, diverse and just awesome. We were happy to be able to recognise some of the fish species that exist only in this reef among all the hundreds. Turtles too. The place was looking very healthy. The beauty of Ningaloo over the Great Barrier Reef is the fact that it's literally just offshore as opposed to a 50km (or longer) boat ride out to it. And the visibility is way better.
The main access town for the reef is Coral Bay which is actually a community that provide all the water and electricity themselves. The whole place is run by the people who started it back in the 60's so preservation is in their direct interests and it's not all about simply exploiting for a profit. The whole community there has the attitude of Observe, Conserve which is good to see in an Aussie tourist town. Exmouth to the North is also a fishing town and boat access to reef by sailing around the cape. It has some of the best dives in the Indian Ocean there.

Anyhoo, I'll have some photos scanned soon to post for you to look at.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
buuuuuuuuuuuuummp

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
OK photos are up but only on my yahoo account album, and they don't allow you to link to their photos. So you'll have to go to my album and click around yourself.
Matt's Photos
Click on the new photos folder. I still don't have all I want on there but will have the rest developed soon.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
BUMP

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Wow it's been a mighty long time, but the best thing is the good news that the resort will not go ahead. It took ages but we got there with widespread support and a lot of action. Thanks to all who did their bit.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Page: