Forums > Social Chat > Support needed Save Ningaloo

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Save Ningaloo Reef
Unique unspoiled ecosystem under threat by a resort development. This is serious as it can be stopped before it happens. Read the website and get active. Please submit the automated letters on the website and bump this message to keep it in front and the people aware.
HOP is the most supportive online community of ethical minded people. Do the right thing and save this piece of the world. We have until late August to put the pressure on. There is hope. Do it.

[ 24. December 2002, 22:56: Message edited by: audax ]

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

sammember
32 posts

Posted:
bumpety bump bump bump

(said to the sound of trumpets hopefully when this is stopped)

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
@ flash Fire

Are we nearly there yet?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I am not so small and partly Scottish (my surname)
I am also partly English Irish Georgian and Basque gypsy

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I am a tall English woman with Romany and Amazonian ancestors.

Are we nearly there yet?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Latcho Drom!

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
i'm a petite frog

*bump*

ribbit ...

mid september now ... what are the news, Audax ?

Thistle , I'll have toast with nutella of course, but first one of your YUMMY sandwiches if possible

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
OMG they've given us a date!

Monday the 7th of October is the currently posted report date. We'll see

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
bump
Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Endermember
68 posts

Posted:
wait why is reheating rice bad?

i'm asian so i eat rice all the time. and sometimes i microwave/reheat leftover rice/other stuff.

omg i'm going to die

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
If you're asian you're probably eating good rice that isn't too old and was cooked properly in the 1st place. So nought to worry about. my 2c

Hopefully with the EPA's report coming out next week, we can celebrate a victory for conservation. Or at least I hope so

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Not sure about the exact technical terms but re-heated rice gives you horrid food poisoning. Will go do a proper search.

Audax, keep us posted to whats going on

Onelove Thistlefirepixie I am not small or Scottish, although my Dad is a pixie.

Are we nearly there yet?

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Bacillus cereus

Source - This Gram positive spore forming rod is found in soil, dust, air and decaying organic matter.

Spores are heat - resistant and can survive cooking or boiling. Vegetative forms grow and produce enterotoxins over a wide temperature range (77° to 107° F).

Ingestion results in emetic or diarrheal food poisoning

Emetic syndrome occurs within 6 hours; self limiting; occurs in re-heated rice (esp. Chinese fried rice). Up to 24 hours for diarrheal symptoms to appear.

Requires 105 bacteria/gram of food to cause disease.

Treatment - IV fluids or oral rehydration; antibiotics not needed.

Prevention - keep rice and other foods higher than 140° F;

Are we nearly there yet?

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
And here's some more Facts,

Bacillus Cereus causes toxic food poisoning.

The bacteria are DORMANT (survive but cannot multiply) in dried rice and pasta as there is no moisture available for growth. As these products are regenerated by water during cooking, the bacteria becomes active again.

However, unlike most pathogens (harmful bacteria), Bacillus Cereus can survive the heat of cooking.

They form a SPORE (tough coating) which protects them from high temperatures and other adverse conditions such as drying and chemicals.

Bacterial spores do not multiply but if the food is cooked slowly or kept warm for some time before serving, the spores break down. This allows the bacteria to grow again. As the bacteria rapidly multiples in warm food, it produces a TOXIN (a Poison)which stays in the food and cannot be killed off by reheating.

ILLNESS
The toxin produced by Bacillus Cereus at warm temperatures irritates the stomach lining and causes vomiting. The onset of symptoms of Bacillus Cereus food poisoning can be very sudden and usually starts between 1-5 hours of eating the food. This sickness is normally over fairly quickly.

NOTE: Bacillus Cereus can also cause a second type of food poisoning where the main symptom is diarrhoea. This type of food poisoning is rare in the UK.

Are we nearly there yet?

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Dammit
Report now expected on the 28th people. Keep sending objection emails.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
and don't eat old rice...

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Looks like I'll be in the area of Ningaloo in early december, so the decision should have been made by then.
It's so cool there. You just get a snorkel for like $4 then swim over one the best reefs in the world straight from the beach.
Looking forward.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Hey Audax any news...

I used to get a newsletter from some group about Ningaloo but since I moved houses I don't get it anymore.

Ninglaoo has got to be one of the best kept secrets in Australia. and it should stay that way.

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
The EPA website still says the report is due on the 28th, so not long now, we hope.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
How exciting
So close now. The EPA has issued a bulletin saying that, yes, they will actually issue the report on Monday morning. Only about 9 months late. I guess you may as well not send any more objection notes at this stage so let me thank everyone who sent one.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
UNBELIEVABLE
And they so they recommend based on all considerations...
The EPA has said that the marina should not be built unless strict conditions can be met by the developer and govt agencies. So in other words, yes the resort can be built. It expressed concerns over the monitoring of the impact. They want to cut through a coral reef and through a turtle nesting beach into the sand dunes creating a non-natural waterway for boats. I can guess what the impact will be like.

The report goes to the environment minister Judy Edwards and she decides. So we need more campaigning to her to give a stronger opinion against this shambles.
We can't stop the increase in tourism but this type of development is just obviously the inappropriate thing to do.

Please help people
Save Ningaloo. Stop the resort

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Hey Audax

Thats really terrible. From what I saw on the news it looked like they weren't going ahead with it.

You weren't one of the guys in the Mardi Gras Parade on the weekend protesting against the development at Ningaloo were you?

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
I just gave it an email, and added in that they are in postition to do something will outlast all of us... I got to play the "don't make the mistake America has" card. I always love when i can appeal to someone by saying "i'm American and i count on you to be smarter than me". I did that recently when i told some Canadian MP's that we look to Canada as a leader in positive social policies, and that i was surprised that the U.S. had better laws in that case (animal cruelty)...

I wanna go to Ningaloo!

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
bump

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
bump

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
bump (help)

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
The public expression period finishes on Monday so I'll try and find out what happens then on the day. Meenwhile jump on the site and send some emails.

ALSO there's a public rally on Dec 1st at the Fremantle Esplanade. I will still be up in Broome but I hope all there in Perth can go. I'm with you guys.

[ 10. November 2002, 19:11: Message edited by: audax ]

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Still no word from the Minister so I guess it's going to take a while. The web site has sporadic updates of what's happening but it shows a lot of info about the issue and is very well informed. Have a look.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
One newspaper report said that it could take 6 months to get a final decision. How they got that number is anyones guess, but it's more time to act and more delay for the developers to lose investors etc...

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I just sent e mails, hope everything works out ok.....

BUUUMMMMMPPPPPPPYYYYY BUMMMMPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Page: