SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I went to see Warren Miller's film "Impact" last night. wow Totally amazing.

But the opening sequence caught my eye. It had a woman spinniing cloth poi with the alaskan wilderness as her backdrop. It was VERY beautiful, if I may say so. She was interspersed with the footage of skiiers and snowboarders, it showed a lot of the peaceful side of the sport.

Then near the end of the segment. they showed her spinning in slow motion in the foreground, the tails whipping around her. Then in the background the helicopter rose up, the spin if the rotors a nice counter to the poi, and it flew away in slow motion. It was just a very nice visual. weavesmiley

My friend with me nudged my knee, like he was saying to me "Alternative my tail." I thought it was very nice, actually. The fact I'm a zen snowbaorder doesn't hurt either. meditate

-Socks the media mogul fuzzball peace

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
sounds like a really nice image..

i guess i could call myself a zen snowboarder too.. hihi.. hey, you know if there is a freezeframe of that scene with the poi and the heli?

zarkiaBRONZE Member
98 posts

Posted:
that does sound really really cool. now to go reasearch the film - i've never heard of it.

yep - looks kinda cool.

i love looking out for poi spinners in films. van helsing anyone??
EDITED_BY: zarkia (1102610825)

KupschSILVER Member
163 posts

Posted:
totally iv not seen van helsing but i seen them in the back on an advert at some parade in the film. i went to an old school night in glasgow recently(dont ask....) and there was a girl doing poi up on the stage.class!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
there is a staff spinner in the tuxedo. doesnt do a great deal, though.

i saw caopeira (no idea how to spell it - that brazilian dance) in another movie or tv show. cant remember which.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
There seems to be 2 of these posts (the other one I made).

Go to www.firejedi.com
it has a list of poi websites, films with pois and TV with pois.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"There seems to be 2 of these posts (the other one I made)."

erm.. not to me it doesnt sonny Jim.

This one is seems to just be commenting about ONE specific bit in ONE film where spinning was spotted. Specifically speaking about ONE scene.

wink

Note there isnt anything in the first post asking for feedback or comments.

smile

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I wasn't complaining or anything, just observing and letting them know about the stuff I found out on my thread. biggrin

By the way your avatar scares me.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
"WM's Impact" finally made it here to Australia, saw it last Saturday, loved that sequence, looked like she was having fun too biggrin

while watching it, I was wondering if it was someone from here.

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I always find I poi spot

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
could be worse :P
if you ever want to watch a gig etc again NEVER become part of a tech team - i cant help now but start complaining about sound and light set ups :P

dont we have an article on this? :P

back

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Flameboy.. have this: hug kiss

Sam JelfsBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
i find i poi spot constantly... the worst is when you spot someone in the street... i cant help but go and speak to them!

and i agree with Linden rathen...... i cant watch a live gig anymore without cnstantly criticising the sound / lights.... side effect of the job i suppose lol

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I saw some futuristic film the other day (i forget it's title) but there was 3 or 4 people doing poi with extra long chains (about 1 metre)
was a case of "STOP rewind it was that what I thought?" weavesmiley

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Sic Kittymember
167 posts

Posted:
had one of those "STOP! REWIND!" moments myself watching previews for Vanity Fair. Haha...I rented it just to see if there was more footage...there wasn't.

Just one brief scene with a woman in the background

You've just been attacked by:
SIC KITTY!
*cackles maniacally*
I suffer...*sob*...because I am better.

I don't really believe that.... *coughs*