Forums > Social Discussion > ego, firespinning and performing

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so everyone takes something different from firespinning and does it for different reasons. ive met alot of spinners especially in the last 6 months while travelling as a result my standard of what i consider to be good is quite high (not that its about being good but just that it takes quite alot to impress me as far as technical skills go)

i understand that performers do what they do for a living so their reputation is part of their living, still something inside of me jars when i read things that are totally ludicris like

world's largest flaming fire staffs (6 feet long with 2 feet of wicking on both ends)
twirling speeds up to 90 m.p.h.

i suppose these sort of statements being just ludicris can be simply laughed at

when i read stuff like

his flexibility allows him to perform unparalleled tricks around his body
of the impish, chaotic style only he is master of
attained his status as a master of the fire arts
his flexibility and speed are without equal
conjures up the souls of ancient ritual dancers and powerful warriors to inhabit his staff

for some reason it just jars with me. if the videos from the site past and present had reflected this id have been on a plane to go visit but they dont.

but heres the thing

flameoz for example their bios are quite light hearted and dont make outrages claims but they are all excellent performer who do a great show

tepooka doesnt have individual bios but as a organisation, thing is though their claims are justified as their shows are spectular as can be seen in their videos

"Spectacular fire-shows featuring fire spinning, fire eating, fire breathing set against exploding pyrotechnic backdrops and original musical scores. Outrageous stilt walking, sensational street theatre, pyrotechnic mayhem and live drumming"

of all the spinners ive met all of the ones i would consider to be really good are very humble (except knox cos hes totally rubbish hug)

so im just wondering what other ppl think about the whole ego thing relating to performing and spinning in general.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
offtopic confused2

I guess that afew of you would be happy to know that Flamingsphere is going then? At the end of the month so im informed...

I, for one, am not happy as i learn't alot of the flamingsphere videos and Jediwhite was/ is one of my fav spinners of all time.

For those who have never seen jedi white, i think afew of his old videos are still up in the archives at : https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/

Untill the end of the month anyway...

That and other things also inspired me with this.. [Old link]

LONG LIVE FLAMINGSPHERE!!! You will be missed frown wave Thanks for the yrs of entertainment
EDITED_BY: Dragon7 (1129176851)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
NYC - I geniunely never have confused (that's not naieveity - it's honest); never has any spinner struck me in that way........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
ahh, too little confidence, and people don't want to spin,
too much confidence and i get slapped.
last time i touch anyone's legs.

huh?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
dragon - that post was exceptionally on-topic...:)

tis a pity flamingshere is going. unfortunately no vids of jediwhite are up on it at the moment frown

i've met a few of the discussed type of spinner/juggler. it's easy t just ignore them and have fun by yourself, or with all the other people who aren't like that smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
it's about time SOMEONE recognized my ego.
all these people i've met kept saying they never met someone "like that"
iwas getting nervous

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Big wavehello5 for mr arashi's ego clap

Well said Orbit. Take heart, I’m in the process of organising a “reluctant performers” workshop, where we can learn a bit of stagecraft. As a general comment on buskers and street performers, I’d say “more action and less prattle”.

Thanks bluecat, What is ego? Personally, I think it’s mostly ID. And people like Albert Eienstine had real access to their cerebral cortex.

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." Albert Einstein. (Thanks for the good quote PsyRush smile

grouphug

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dragon7

I guess that afew of you would be happy to know that Flamingsphere is going then? At the end of the month so im informed...

LONG LIVE FLAMINGSPHERE!!! You will be missed frown wave Thanks for the yrs of entertainment

I remember getting a lot of the vids I looked at and learnt from as a newbie from flamingsphere.com, as a result I have a lot of respect for all the Oklahoma Fire Ents. Group. They've produced some awesome videos, and although I've only chatted to Dio on MSN, he seems like a pretty cool dude. Anyone who thinks they've got a problem with ego should watch 'PoisgoneWild' or Dan's poi moves (for the ladeez wink)

I had no idea that Flamingsphere was going offline, and I will mourn it's loss. So I would like to ditto Dragon's comment

I think you have to have ego to spin, otherwise I would never have been able to practise in the park to start with. I always took the viewpoint 'I may be causing myself serious pain every 5 minutes and looking foolish, but at least I'm putting in the effort to learn a skill'. Now i'm much more confident with poi, but I still go through the same feeling when practising staff. Don't mistake someone being comfortable with a skill for arrogance.

offtopic has anyone got a copy of Dantana's 'nexus' sockpoi vid?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

offtopic has anyone got a copy of Dantana's 'nexus' sockpoi vid?

with permission, i will host it for youse. smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Arashi is from Texas, the ego is assured.

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

it's about time SOMEONE recognized my ego.
all these people i've met kept saying they never met someone "like that"
iwas getting nervous

I mean do you guys KNOW how long he's been spinning?

ubblol

I wrote a response before but it got lost and whenever that happens I'm much less eloquent on the second attempt but I'll try.

I absolutely believe that Cole and Fluffy have never seen stuff like that. Of course, they don't live in America, a country where "Ego" tends to be a compliment. wink

But even in the UK, I'm surprised how different people can be in different circumstances. I'm not sure why, but people tend to say the snidest comments to me on the side... stuff that I really don't think they'd say in public.

I'm not really complaining but I've DEFINITELY heard things like...
"I could have done that performance better"
"X didn't deserve to get to perform at that venue"
"I've been spinning fire X years longer than you and therefore my opinion is fact and yours is wrong" (and it's hundreds of variants)
"I've done gigs with these people and am therefore more qualified to judge than you"
"I'm not going to spin right now because only newbies are spinning and it wouldn't look cool."
"I've taught more, learned from more, slept with more, am worshiped by more firespinners than you and therefore the next sentence out of my mouth is more important..."

Maybe people just tend to be more blunt in my presence.

Then again, the first poi critique I got upon my arrival in London was "I can't believe you've been spinning for two years, I've only been spinning for 6 months and I'm way better"

Something I'm certain nobody would ever utter in the presence of a Fairy or a Cole.

ubbangel

In summary, I've always been a bit sad to find out later that certain people that I knew and loved had such an ego... but buried it under the false pretence of modesty. I won't make a cultural generalization, but most of the egocentric spinners that I've met in the US will greet you with it as they introduce themselves. Usually with fireworks and intro music. wink

[I'm not actually complaining. Ego's don't really bother me, especially once you figure out who's got em and how big they are. It's actually pretty entertaining to have someone just babble on about themselves... at least it passes time if you're not near a TV. biggrin ]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah but there is a big difference between rejoicing in ego-centrism and actively trying your best to emancipate yourself from its limitations. The vast majority of 'advanced' spinners I've met are quite humble, or at least dont actively rub anyone's nose in it.

Its the perceptions vs the actions thing.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
When it comes to spinning, I have no ego.

I'm a mediocre spinner...so what's the point of ego?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pyrolific

yeah but there is a big difference between rejoicing in ego-centrism and actively trying your best to emancipate yourself from its limitations. The vast majority of 'advanced' spinners I've met are quite humble, or at least dont actively rub anyone's nose in it.

Its the perceptions vs the actions thing.

i could believe that you are in fact describing yourself smile ubbidea

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
OK lets get one thing straight. if ANYBODY here is the best spinner there is but remains really humble and down to earth despite the constant showering of ablutions it is ME

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, duh!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:

.. despite the constant showering of ablutions..

Showering of WHAT?

"Ablution may refer to the practice of removing sins, diseases or earthly defilements
through the use of ritual washing, or the practice of using ritual washing as one part
of a ceremony to remove sin or disease."

Eergh!

wink

~peace is a fire~

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*puts in a due acknowledgement to Arashi's ego and humbleness at the same time*
ubbangel
take two ablutions into the shower? No I just wash and defile myself wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

OK lets get one thing straight. if ANYBODY here is the best spinner there is but remains really humble and down to earth despite the constant showering of ablutions it is ME

I still don't understand how you're not the worlds largest chick magnet. And no, Meg doesn't count. ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
umm methinks thou dost protest too little!!! umm wink

chick "magnet"?!?! well i never really use my dancing to get girls, so i'm pretty much relying on my looks and personality. can you say "weak magnetic force?"

on ablutions... "you missed a spot... a dirty, sinful spot..."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

so i'm pretty much relying on my looks and personality.

and thus the mystery of Arashi's frustrated horny singledom was solved!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I'm going to use your list if that's ok, NYC, to show the reason why I haven't heard any of this as EGO speaking:

1) "I could have done that performance better"
- perhaps the performance was [censored]. And they could have done it better. Granted I don't think I would have said it, but it could be quite simple truth. If not - the misguided person is not doing it in a very offensive or obtrusive way.

2) "X didn't deserve to get to perform at that venue"
- I haven't ever heard that/thought that etc. But I reckon the same answer applies.

3) "I've been spinning fire X years longer than you and therefore my opinion is fact and yours is wrong" (and it's hundreds of variants)
- possibly the person was just saying the first bit, and the second is an interpretation? I have never heard anyone, ever, EVER, say to me that their opinion is better. Only that it is theirs, and they are entitled to express it. The way you read that or react to it is up to you.

4) "I've done gigs with these people and am therefore more qualified to judge than you"
- again, maybe they were just saying 'look what I've done' and not necessarily 'look what I've done it's so much better than you'.

5) "I'm not going to spin right now because only newbies are spinning and it wouldn't look cool."
-Possibly, like me, They don't want to intimidate people. Often I will go and teach newbies. Often I can't be bothered or would just enjoy a spin. In those situations, if there are a lot of newbies about, I don't want to look as if I'm showing off. This may be big-headed somehow but is my way of being sensitive.

6) "I've taught more, learned from more, slept with more, am worshiped by more firespinners than you and therefore the next sentence out of my mouth is more important..."
- again - even if someone said all the list above, the next bit is spin/interpretation. Irrational people who genuinely try to claim superiority are not worth very much in my opinion. Fortunately no spinner has ever shown this side of themself to me. I have sat here for days trying to think of one and failed. (I also ate, slept and washed, fyi wink ) The only possible cases I can think of are young, excitable newbies who are generally immature and not very able to think beyond 'bigger/better/faster/cooler' yet and can therefore, imo, be totally excused.

Not sure why I wrote all this. There's no point. Just don't think I've ever met anyhone who thinks they are the best, or who has ever said so.

ubbrollsmile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Myst, lol? I've definetly heard people say stuff like that all the time. And in some cases it may have been spin, and in some cases there was no room for interpretation.

But I'm not sure I know many people who actually think that in any kind of demeaning form.

offtopic:
Nonetheless I'm completly shy about spinning around people these days, except for standing in the corner doing hyperloops tongue (Or messing with contact moves I have absolutly no expirience with and thus shouldn't be any good at biggrin)
/off topic

But I did hear some comments whilst in england constituting very demeaning remarks about people's skill levels and spinning styles, in some cases coming from some reasonably respected spinners, so I see where people are coming from...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
hahaha
you named names! you named names!

wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Who is myst?

We can't let this thread die! It was just getting interesting! We were getting over the hill of politeness and there was almost a bitch-slapping on the distant horizon!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Its my memory that Myst was the (one of) the original instigators of fighting and sh*t talking here... in fact every time someone said "the board is getting bad, the board is getting bad" people kept bumping one particular thread in an effort to prove it had always gone in cycles... but as I can't find that thread now, I will have to wait for nyc to walk in here and tell me if i'm crazy or not tongue

Ok, I set myself up for that, but I meant whether I was remembering correctly.

I've found references to Myst being a b*tch, but not the actual threads. (From himself, at that). Truth is he's really cool, and you can see that he grows up over time, but I mentioned names cause it was going to be an obvious example of put-downs and the like. And one that ultimately didn't reflect back negatively on the person.

I'm actually having a thought here, and I'm a little bit serious. Maybe NYC and I just don't understand British sarcasm. Maybe when people say things like "they should get the hell out of here then if they can't do (x,y,z)" and then ignore people its really just some sort of huge in joke......... umm
But there's non americans who said they've heard this kind of stuff too, so who knows.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

so i'm pretty much relying on my looks and personality.

and thus the mystery of Arashi's frustrated horny singledom was solved!

gee, look. meg hit the side of that barn sitting there right in front of her.
give that gal a million dollar contract. umm
hug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
it's cos I took my glasses off.

tongueunchhugsmiley:

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
The difference is, most people save their flirting for social chat or the bottom of otherwise semi-useful posts....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: fluffy napalm fairy

Not sure why I wrote all this. There's no point.

I think you were just disagreeing with me out of habit. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: