Forums > Social Discussion > ego, firespinning and performing

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so everyone takes something different from firespinning and does it for different reasons. ive met alot of spinners especially in the last 6 months while travelling as a result my standard of what i consider to be good is quite high (not that its about being good but just that it takes quite alot to impress me as far as technical skills go)

i understand that performers do what they do for a living so their reputation is part of their living, still something inside of me jars when i read things that are totally ludicris like

world's largest flaming fire staffs (6 feet long with 2 feet of wicking on both ends)
twirling speeds up to 90 m.p.h.

i suppose these sort of statements being just ludicris can be simply laughed at

when i read stuff like

his flexibility allows him to perform unparalleled tricks around his body
of the impish, chaotic style only he is master of
attained his status as a master of the fire arts
his flexibility and speed are without equal
conjures up the souls of ancient ritual dancers and powerful warriors to inhabit his staff

for some reason it just jars with me. if the videos from the site past and present had reflected this id have been on a plane to go visit but they dont.

but heres the thing

flameoz for example their bios are quite light hearted and dont make outrages claims but they are all excellent performer who do a great show

tepooka doesnt have individual bios but as a organisation, thing is though their claims are justified as their shows are spectular as can be seen in their videos

"Spectacular fire-shows featuring fire spinning, fire eating, fire breathing set against exploding pyrotechnic backdrops and original musical scores. Outrageous stilt walking, sensational street theatre, pyrotechnic mayhem and live drumming"

of all the spinners ive met all of the ones i would consider to be really good are very humble (except knox cos hes totally rubbish hug)

so im just wondering what other ppl think about the whole ego thing relating to performing and spinning in general.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
offtopic

I thought Myst was the best selling PC game of all time... shrug

I'm probably not old enough to remember the member, either that or he avoids both Social Chat and Discussion now...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I'm barely old enough to remember him Sethis. like 95% of his posts were before I joined. I did meet him when I went touring socal tho.

Thats why we need NYC to NOTICE that he's supposed to tell me if I'm right or not... actually, Fluff would do fine too! But I can't think of anyone else offhand who's around these days, was around then, and might actually look at this thread.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Thats why we need NYC to NOTICE that he's supposed to tell me if I'm right or not... actually, Fluff would do fine too!

Yes yes. Myst. Well done. Fought with a guy named Phunky a bunch.

Do a search.

ubbangel

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I did! Nothing came up..... just references to him having been an arse earlier.,...

Phunky then. I remember him. And here I was thinking Myst was mouthing off with Ray. *shakes head*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i miss my phunky! ubbrollsmile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Phunky then. I remember him. And here I was thinking Myst was mouthing off with Ray.

Ahhh, those were the days my friends... ubbrollsmile

that's not an ego... this is an ego... spank

Page: