Forums > Social Chat > Is it just me or does coleman fuel burn hotter that kero?

Login/Join to Participate

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
ive got my first show in sunday and the people putting it on expressed that they would like me to use coleman camp fuel instead of my usual kerosene. i practiced with it today and it seemed hotter that usual..
the placec im performing at is an indoor club (i get a 20x24 ft stage all to me!!! so which is better. i know smell wise coleman is better..
i typically use kero for fire breathing too they asked me to use 151. are my chances of blow back really really higher ?? im sure there has been a million posts on this but dammit its just so darm fun to post *lol*

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
p.s

coleman fuel also lights faster/explodes..
im almost thinking i should tell them to suck it up and just use what i always use..

Send food, not bombs.

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
umm.. yup.
it also burns brighter and louder.. which is why i use it. (I'm crazy like a fox)
I dunno about the 151 for breathing though.. i've always used Kero as well, and it worked well.
and.. with my friends 151 wouldnt last long enough to breathe with anyway.. lol

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
ha ha.. true true..
ok but is it still ok to use indoors smell wise??
i just dont know..

Send food, not bombs.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
as far as breathing with 151.. this is what i found in Pele's Fire Breathing Basics

quote:
A high flash point fuel is any fuel whose ignition point is high enough that it does not ignite easily, nor does it have combustible fumes. This is the most important part of fire breathing. Use of any fuel with combustible fumes means that a blowback is more likely to occur. These dangerous fuels are gasoline, naphtha fuel and those labeled “white gas”, butane, and any form of alcohol including ethyl (drinkable) alcohol.
quote:
4. What fuels should I use?

***Always practice with water first, and then fuel without the flame. ***

The more important answer is what fuels you should stay away from. Gasoline, “white gas”/naphtha, alcohol (methyl or ethyl), and butane should be avoided at all costs.

so yeah.. i'd stick with the kero.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
yeah thats basicly what i was basing my 151 skeptisysm on.... i was told that "thats what all the bar tenders use" my response is "im not a bar tender. and "i like my eyebrows"

Send food, not bombs.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
not-so-stinky alternatives to kero, that all have a high flashpoint are

* Pegasol 440 Special, NO OTHER TYPE OF PEGASOL PLEASE. (very similar to kero in most ways)
Available through petrochemical wholesalers

* Deoderised Kerosene (test this first as it often isn't all that deoderised)
Available through petrochemical wholesalers

* Lamp Oil (also test this for smellyness).

I suggest the people who asked you to use colemans don't have a damn clue about what they are talking about. I recall an incident about a year ago where someone was 'told' to use colemans and ended up almost burning down the venue when it caught light inexpectedly...

Please don't use it to firebreath either, you are likely to kill yourself...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
SEE i told them they were nuts!!!!!

i told them i know what im doing good enough to not burn the place down..

and no they have no clue as to what they are doing.
hah hah hah the girl who told me this is a topless waitress and "self proclaimed fire stunt something somthing" i forget.
she was telling me about with time she was dancing with torches or something of the like and she kept hearing this "ping ping ping" noise and finally she realized that some guy was throwing coins at her OPEN PAIL of fuel (colemans)
she looked over just in time to see it spill on the floor and ignite...
at this point i smacked my forehead and asked her not to tell me any more..
i just wanna use my plain ol kero..
but they are being wankers about the supposed raunchy smell.. (i dont even smell it anymore)
i dont mind using colemans at all bt i DO have an uneasy feeling about useing the 151 for blowing..

Send food, not bombs.

Nyxenthusiast
385 posts

Posted:
All i know is that kero gives me an asthma attack (otherwise i've mostly outgrown that) and coleman fuel doesn't. Lamp oil is much more expensive than coleman. So, i use coleman. Also, i have a friend who has been spinning/firebreathing for a couple years now and he only firebreathes with 151. I forget why that but he's never had a problem, inside or out.

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried the scented lamp oil i've seen for sale? That seems like it would solve the smell issue, yet be a decent burn...
Anyone? Anyone?

And Sorcha, if if comes down to it, screw the smell, go for safety. Burning hair/flesh/stage/curtains/fittings/furniture all smell WAY worse than kero...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!