Luminous SoulsGOLD Member
36 posts

Posted:
I tried to do a search, cause i figured alot of people have asked this, but couldn't really find what i was looking for. i was wondering how i can make my burns last longer. any help would be greatly appreciated. smile

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
One way would be to buy the monkey balls....excuse me, the monkey fist rope wicks....they burn for days. ubbrollsmile

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Kerosene\Parrafin or Lamp Oil will burn quite a bit longer than white gas or meths\eths. After that it's up to the type of wick you use. Monkey fists and large cathedrals will last a while and Bearclaw Manufacturing makes a few kevlar\cotton composite wicks that are supposed to last longer. Keep in mind that the larger wicks will be much heavier and can be difficult to maintain control over.
EDITED_BY: mtbeer (1102484598)

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Luminous SoulsGOLD Member
36 posts

Posted:
thanks so much.

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
Long burn time, massive flame. Try these

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDet...l_link_fire_poi

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
biodiesel is really good for longer burns as well

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I'm working on a chambered design that should give much longer burning times, it works well for staff,

mark

thorFlaming Lesbian
181 posts

Posted:
hrm. when did HOP start selling those? =]

your wick is the most important part, because it decides just how much fuel you get to swing around your body. for long (and huge, don't forget huge) burns, i go for toweling. toweling is also nice because it dosen't splash the fuel all around like kevlar does (heh, let's just say my first kevlar head burnoff was alot...messier...and embarrassing...than my towel head burnoffs)

if you want a huge and long burning flame, go to walmart and pick up a pack of bar mops ($5 for like, 10). 1/2 of one per wick will give you about double the burn times than the average kevlar cathederals, or you could go with a full towel on each head, and then you'll want to be very careful =]

still, it's a good idea to have the good old reliable kevlar heads for most things, but if you really feel like swinging a paint can full of coleman's on each arm, you can't beat cheap walmart towel wicks =]

Lights dancing off my skin as chains wrap round it.
Pain is in a little box and I'm so glad I found it.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: musashii

biodiesel is really good for longer burns as well

could you pm me with some more info on this if you have time, as i know a few uses for bio diesel ie running cars, but never thought of it for spinning, i take it, its also a lot less poisening than "normal fuel"

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

NantheosSILVER Member
82 posts

Posted:
Also I have found that the longer you soak, the longer burn you get. This of course sounds very stupid and *duh*-like, but I know people who just soak for a few seconds and then start complaining about short burntime.....

Hij die zijn kind benzine voert moet niet roken als het boert.

Love you MyIng ubblove

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
I agree with Thor.

I get longer burns using toweling than with Kevlar, and less fuel being thrown off it too. However, it doesn't last as long, so I like to make a few wicks at a time so I can just swop them over when I need to...

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

"hrm. when did HOP start selling those? =]"

Had a quick look through the poi section, admittedly it wasn't a thorough search, can't say i found anything looking like chambered poi, I've looked into the kapax stuff, and other packing materials and techniques, as far as I can see what I've been working with for the last year is distinctly different, but anyways, the wick, length and affixing style is the most important aspect for burn times.

mark

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Not entirely certain, but there is a different type of wicking called MACE,or something like that. I watched a guy burn a set made with this stuff, and they lasted for about 15 minutes easily. Unfortunately,thats all i know...

Don't worry, be happy...