Page:
GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
For nearly two years i have been hinting to my beloved that I wanted a set of HOP flags and today we get a call that a package has been stolen from our doorstep and destroyed by the little thugs. Its my flags. frown The police caught them with part of the contents and so we were contacted.
Because this time they have been caught tampering with the post yet again they will go to court and be charged. Im upset that not only were they stolen from our doorstep as I did volunteer work at my boys school but that they were destroyed as well.

So I will have to be happy with my homemade beautiful flags for a while longer. wink.....I will start hinting for my birthday instead.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
ahh, sorry to hear that babe, that's rotten hug hug hug

on a lighter note though, i'm still happy with your very beautiful homemade flags too biggrin

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
That's positively horrid gnor!

hug

I can't stand people that think it is fun to destroy things that other have worked hard to be able to afford.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
That's awful.... frown Stupid post people though - they shouldn't leave parcels on doorsteps; they should give you one of those little "sorry we missed you, please come get your parcel from nearest post office" type things.

The thugs should be made to sit in a sweat shop and create several perfect replicas of the flags they destroyed.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
Wave a scary looking sword at them?

Little hooligans.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
isn't this technically the post's fault? leaving a package on the door step? you should get some sort of compensation and you'll be able to get new flags!

my state of mind creates my world

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
hug Stupid post people. Nasty kids.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
We are still looking into if we can get compensation. The kids will go to court and may get done for tampering with official post.
Once its delivered its not the post issue though I think. It becomes a police problem and they already know as they are the ones who called us to tell us. I am tempted to wave scary swords at them..but that would result in swords getting banned as scary objects as has happened in other states here.
Bill is going to contact the HOP shop and try to get another set over soon. He is a sweetie ubblove
Thanks for the thoughts guys. hug

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Aww that's horrid Gnor!!! hughughug

I hope those little brats learn a lesson this time!!! Argh!!

hug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
eek

Thats awful hug2

How nasty can people be?

hug2 hug hug2

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
hug for you and your lost flags.

I can't believe how lucky you were that they were caught though (or how stupid the kids were)...

Make sure you take the (annoying) time to follow up on this though. And since they police have the names of the kids, you can take them to small claims court for the cost of the flags... if the cops don't make them pay (which they should)...

Don't let them get away with it. frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I second (or whatever) all the hugs. IANAL, but I don't think criminal prosecution negates civil liability...so even if they get a slap on the wrist you can still sue them. More than likely their parents will have to pay, which serves them right too. If they're better parents than I expect they'll make the kids work it off.

I don't know how things work in Australia. Is leaving things on the front stoop/doorstep/porch usual where you live? Where I live it would be considered criminally irresponsible. Maybe they have "contributory negligence"?

Also, if you go to a lawyer about this, ask about "joint and several liability." Again IANAL, and IA especially NA AUSTRALIAN L, but JASL means that all the kids and the post are liable for the loss of your flags, and WHOEVER HAS THE MONEY pays. But that's way beyond small claims court, and probably not worth it, even if Oz law supports it.

I second NYC on not letting them (ANY of them!) get away with it.

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
That's awful eek

I hope you manage to get compensation for them without any hastle, and that karma comes and works it's magic.
hug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Bill has contacted the HOP shop and reordered another set....hooray!! HOP shop has promised to try get them over ASAP.

The kids were a schoolage "pack" who have a record of this sort of thing. Young kids whose parents either dont care or dont know. There is no chance them or thier parents will pay.

This is the second recent incident involving our property and these sort of kids and is slowly making me more and more racist which I find sad and a little self dissappointing. The police said the positioning of a bus stop next to our house is not good as it gives them somewhere to sit and the package was simply oppurtunity. The kids I think were either incredibly arrogant in keeping the envelope to the package or just plain stupid. A number of school age kids wandering around in school hours is a bit obvious as well and a obvious target for police questioning. I think they also have no fear of the consequences.

Nearly all of the negative incidents around us in the years we have lived here have involved indigenous kids and people. From assualt and intimidatrion to theft and their dog biting us in a local park. I am trying very hard to not give my kids a rascist veiwpoint but its kinda self defeating when we have so few local rolemodels to balance the point of veiw.

I really dont like a litigious society and at this point will let it flow through the police channels and see what happens. weavesmileyThese kids have poor rolemodelling and a pretty messed up life and their veiws and their brains get fried by early substance abuse. If I thought that sueing them would do any good I might follow through.

Last night I made a beautiful set of flags so its not all bad. biggrin

Is it the Truth?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Gnor,

grouphug

I’m not sure what suburb you are in; is the problem bad enough to consider moving?

Tampering with other peoples mail is a serious offence.

mad2

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Sweetheart I am so sorry to hear this!!
I used to work for post company and you are entitled to $50.00 compensation for the lost package as it was left on your doorstep by a contractor and then destroyed.
Ring their 13 number and make a compensation claim.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
I feel for ya Gnor , I feel more about what you said about the
indigenous folk, I think it tragic whats happened to them, and what they're doing now 'cos of it. But attitudes from most people (I met) have to change towards them for any improvement, yours is a good one, keep up the good work!

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ok Bretch, I don’t want to stray off topic too much, but when you say “I think it tragic whats happened to them, and what they're doing now 'cos of it. But attitudes from most people (I met) have to change towards them for any improvement, yours is a good one, keep up the good work!" I

I think you make indigenous Australians sound like victims. Are you aware of Noel Pearson’s thoughts on breaking down 'passive welfare dependency' amongst Cape York Aboriginal people, by reinstating the rights of Aboriginal people to take responsibility for their lives?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I dont think there is any excuse for racism.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Dragon7, there is no excuse for racism, and that was not the suggestion.

To avoid going completely off-topic. Medusa has started a new thread to continue the discussion on [Old link]

CU

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Thanks stone!

And yes I agree that there is no excuse for racism but yet it still hapens to this day and the worst offenders are the government.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
The story continues. We didnt have to go to court as the girl who was caught with them pleaded guilty. We got the stuff back with the material ripped off the chains but otherwise intact.

Now we have a choice whether to go meet them or not. Also we wait to see if we get compensation or not. It was good not to go to court though.

Is it the Truth?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ah for the good old days where prevention of such future distruction was implemented through the removal of the offending limbs *reministent graelin* oh wait i wasnt around then *scratches head* um come to adelaide its much nicer here biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
i like the sweatshop idea spank

Spinning makes my world go round

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Mmm Adelaide......is there a St Johns there??....

I love my Bassendean...pity there are horrid people that upset us and make my visitors uncomfortable.

Is it the Truth?

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
what little s@*ts!!!

*grrrrrr*

hug hug hug hug

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I didn't know people that mean really existed, I though it was just in books and TV and newspapers and other such fiction.

hug

hug

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
that is really terrible!!!

hug

hug

FlameSILVER Member
addict
435 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug

Im so srry to hear this -

censored little buggers - shouldnt their parents step up?

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
they probably didn't give them the smack or two they needed when younger.. because it's "child abuse" or something rubbishy like that. little censoreds.

Page: