Forums > Social Discussion > How travel changes you and your perception of the world

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so ive just got back a few days ago from 6 months living in the uk which is my first time properly living away from home and first time going overseas. i met loads of wonderful ppl while i was there who im missing loads. being home not that much has changed just lots of little subtle differences but ive changed alot in myself and everything feels different. im feeling slightly lost and jet lagged at the moment. im wondering if other ppl who have traveled for extended periods of time have had similar experiences if it all goes back to normal or if it turns into something newer and bettererer

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
smile

kiss

You Ben are wonderful.

It truely was an honour to meet you, and I hope that I see you again in the future sometime.

hug2

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
"you can never go home again"

I've found that strangley true... but in a good way.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
i suffer from wanting to be where i'm not. i long for canada when i'm in london and i want to be back in london when i go home for a visit. not to say i'm never happy, becasue i'm quite content living in london. but home is home and i glorify it in my head. it's important to remember whatever you're missing will be there if you ever want to go back.

while away you discover all sorts of new and exciting things about life and your personality. the lost feeling does go away. once the jet lag wears off, you get back into your groove of life with all the new experiences under your belt. but then again, maybe you'll discover that the UK is home.

my state of mind creates my world

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I traveled for a short time. Only three months in SEA. A few weeks in europe here and there.

It made the world seem smaller and more interesting.

More than anything else it inspired me to learn, meet new people and make new friends.

edit/

i didnt include how i felt when i got home though, which i gues was the point.

i think i know what you mean ben and stickman.

nothing really did change when i arrived back. a few shops n stuff but mostly my friends had the same jobs and my family and friends were the same people i left. I was in very high spirits when i arrived home. It was a kind of slow gradual anti climax but not really in a bad way. I felt very good about everythign i'd seen and learned.

I cant really remember when i settled back in and became a functioning part of society again. I even worked in a bar for a year instead of going back to enineering.

Now here I am at my desk. Rearing to go again.
EDITED_BY: ado-p (1102345110)

Love is the law.

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
well its sort of a different story with me..
ive been travelling all my life. never lived in one place longer than four years.. so home is sortof non-existant for me..
but i lived in vienna for four years, then took a five months trip to oz bounce bounce(amazing btw!!) and when i came back i had the same feeling ben-ja-men.. that most things are the same, but that little things have changed: new shop on the street corner, my friends getting along with people they disliked for a long time at the most..
but besides that, vienna was still the same old vienna

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I found when I came back from Indonesia after spending ten months there as an exchange student that though I had moved forward, matured and had more insight into the way the world works all the people I had gone to school with and my old friends had all stalemated. They were in the exact same spot I had left them ten months earlier.

That's what made the transition so hard for me to adapt back to Australian life.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
That's what I'm worried about Medusa. When I go home, nothing serioius will have changed. Well, other than my parents splitting, and new homes, but that's not what I'm worried about. I think I'll feel held back, because I have another 2 years of highschool, meanwhile right now, I'm living like a Uni student (really) and loving it!

I think that once you see more of the world home just won't be the same.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
i was away for 2 years in asia and oz... its took a year to realise i was home and to get comfortable with how much i had changed and how little it appeared other people had changed... however as time has passed i have still got all the affection for my closest friends but we have all moved on in different ways...

many of my friends have children.. (i dont) and i dont see them as much.... it used to be we would go to the pub or chill at home playing golden eye for 16 hours... but now they want to spend there spare time with there kids... this is cool but it has put distance between us...

the flip side is i have come back with renewed vigor for juggling and i have met so many wonderfull, talented, open and friendly new people through this..

The changes are there love, respect, and grow from them...

miss u

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
weird computer freezing and kicking me out moment there.

Everyone gets a downer after coming back. It does fade as your life gets back to normal, but in a year you'll start thinking "This time last year I was riding a camel in the Sahara/gorge swinging in Zambia/Paragliding in California" or whatever, and the itchy feet will start to build.

Then you stick a pin in a map and go again.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I think though even though you may out grow you old friends you soon find new ones who have travelled as well and who you can talk to!

Bretchenthusiast
247 posts

Posted:
I didn't get a down feeling when I got home from 1 yr in oz, mainly 'cos I spent ten days sorting stuff out, seeing me mates, then flying off to Ireland to hopefully get together with a lovely girlie.. which I did. biggrin now I've 'got' the travel bug, I'm doing europe next.

I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure now.....

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
i had the strangest return... in the last month of travels i slipped carrying drinks (1 for a lovely girlie) and fractured my spine (did not spill the drinkl though. i got home and after a week i could not move.....
i had fractured a vertibre and trapped my siatic nerve... i was ordered to spend 6 weeks total bed rest... frotunatly i was still in the "yeah this is a new experience" frame of mind and i had lots of valium and pethedine for the pain...

it was weird though.... ubbrollsmile

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
Ben you are a legend!

I felt deflatted when i got back from 6 months traveling/ working overseas. But as eera says, Itchy feet... Itchy feet, so ill be expecting you early july then?

Shall i put the kettle on?

passing through, this world still lives.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
redface

*le sigh* im not sure exactly when ill be back im hoping to go to gratz for the firey festival of arts next year and the french riveria with my london flatmates for a week so i figure ill probably have to stop over again in the uk for a week or two seeings as ill already be on that side of the world which would be ...... yeah july smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
is that a hickey on your neck from the traveling bug?

biggrin

hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
redface stop making me out to be a man whore biiiiiiiiatch kiss

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
aw... we thought you were only a slapper.... but a man whore bitch is much better....
lolsign

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
lol damn stupid grammer there was supposed to be a comma between man whore and bitch id edit but u know then ur post wouldnt make sense

Devil - Dmember
72 posts

Posted:
My girlfriend is in NZ for 9 months right now. She's changing while i'm changing as well. Since a few months i hire my own home, and I'm doin a new study (about cultures and society). We have contact through the telephone weekly, and I'm thinkin about the day she'll be back. I' don't know what will happen to us. Is there anybody who'd the same situation?

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Devil-D
My bf lives in the isles of scilly. In march hes going away on a tall ships course around the world somewhere. So although right now im not in exactly the same situation (just similar) in a little while i will be. Its scary coz i dont know whats going to happen. frown

On a lighter note. Hearing everyones stories reminds me of how much i wanna go away. I just dunno where to start, it feels like im jumping in at the deep end when i cant swim. IM also really scared of going away on my own frown

devkevSILVER Member
292 posts

Posted:
i am in london and my girlfriend has been living in dublin. we have been togther since march 04 and traveling acrooss to see each other every couple of weeks (i know its not quite "otherside of the world"). if it feels right then hang in there, if your not sure then hang in there untill you change your mind... if its wron then move away from the situation.... my girlfriend is moving over to london and in with me at the end of dec... we think it is worth hanging in there even when it was strained...

you will know what is right if you ask yourself clearly and answer truthfully....

peace

Devil - Dmember
72 posts

Posted:
Written by: Facelessjoker

Devil-D

On a lighter note. Hearing everyones stories reminds me of how much i wanna go away. I just dunno where to start, it feels like im jumping in at the deep end when i cant swim. IM also really scared of going away on my own frown

Same here! So I'd decided to make short trips in every school holiday to country's in Europe. In 2006 (or 2007) i go to somewhere outside Europe for my study. Workin with chanceless youth or organize a big summmer camp or something like that. After my study I'll see the rest of the world. I hate the frustrating issue study/travelling? So i gonna do it like this! I guess...