Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > drops + pickups and nyc as the egg man

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
dont think theres been a thread about this. rolleyes

i was having fun dropping my poi earlier.

you know when you throw your poi and sometimes you cant quite catch it? youve dropped it. all is not lost, what you do is simply incorporate the drop into your spinning. this is suprisingly (or not?) pretty easy to do. what i was doing, and there may be other ways, is just keep spinning.

so imagine you did catch the poi you dropped and continue doing weave motions (or what ever you would have been doing with it, if you had caught it). to pick up the poi, break into some long arm and bend down and scoop up your poi so its all nice and in sync. and it looks pretty smooth. or smoother than it would have done if youd have just dropped it and gone, froook eek. the fun thing about it is that you dont loose the flow when you drop a poi. cool

have fun smile ubbrollsmile

EDITED_BY: oli (1102528360)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Just throw some LEDs and a micro controler in em.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
who am I fighting?

biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you're not - you just need to stand nearby and stir things up by shouting things like "did you hear what he said about your mum?!" and "come on you wusses, my nan can slap harder than that."

drops then - i did one whole round of 423 with the 4's dropping to my feet and kicking back up again...

*deftly ducks nyc's cruise snowball*

short drops and catches (like the one i described earlier) are a nice way to get out of neg space moves where you are all twisted up ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
This man:

Non-Https Image Link

Right....thats it for me..

No more shall I post anything in here that is not to do with the dropping of poi.

smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
So I dropped my poi again last night....

wink

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile ubblol

i love this thread. but there will be no fighting in here. ubblove

i called it drops cos i reckon the secret of making dropping poi look good is the drop.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

xorbaMIA
147 posts

Posted:
oh dear Oli...now lets not spoil their fun! u gots to come to cardiff on the 27th!

All that is solid melts into air

xorbaMIA
147 posts

Posted:
droppings? thats just dirty!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
For example when you drop you Poi parallel, than make a few steps back and than run and catch them in somersault it amazing.
Or kick ups from the ground, or controled drops like Coleman sad.,, there are milions of em smile

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
yep... you can drop or pick up in paralell or spilt time and use forward rolls, cartwheels or anyotherway of picking them up... funnily enough (it was hilarious) oli and i were playing with this again on saturday! ubblol

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

xorbaMIA
147 posts

Posted:
I would like to see this. Oli!!!! we've got to meet up in the xmas holidays...wherever u are!?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Lot of sense Poi make when first stop, than fall down and stop again.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
how about dropping both poi and moving both your arms like egg-beaters so that the poi slowly spiral forever down and around your arms (opposite-style, so that they rotate around one arm and then the other, continuously)...

kinda like dropping/contacty poi stuff.

smile

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
ss, assuming they're handle weighted, a vertical matrix wibble drop would be sick too. that's meteor tho? doh! i find contact hella easier with handle weights.

but for the argument crowd rolleyes -- if that's a drop, what are the non-drop moves? anti-drop? "held"s? do i have to start referring to the "held forward pro-spun frontside first degree outside split-time chase" instead of "3 beat weave"? it's only dropped if it touches the ground right, otherwise, it was a throw? or is the point that it's with versus against gravity, eg. dropping down the spine and catching the handle end UTL before vs. after it hits the ground? i'd say if you're in the +/- gravity crowd, you're redefining "throw", i think. i'd say it's only dropped (using layman english terminology) if the handle touches the ground...

wow. that last paragraph was way to easy to seriously write. haha. ubbrollsmile

-- dut

Page: