Forums > Social Discussion > Why are all the cool spinners in the UK, and not in the US?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I get a feeling I could learn a lot more moves a LOT faster if I actually had somoene to bounce ideas off of. Or at least somoene who can say "tuck your shoulder in more." But it seems to me that the staff folks are in the UK.

Kinda a long road trip, but what the hey? ubbangel

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there's a big bunch of supremely good staff twirlers in oz too ya know.

its on the same bus route so stopping there after the uk shouldn't be too much of a hassle for ya... wink

or you could just stay at home look up a guy called robert heart :eek ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Well, lemme check my route schedule... Ahh! Chicago to OZ or UK by bus... Bleah... Too far. smile

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I hear you can get ther for a pound on the megabus.....

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
or you could just ask me ubblol i am a staff spinner in c.a

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Well, that's not TOO bad, I'm about, umm, 2000 miles to the right, and more than a few paralells north too. smile I need to find a Chicago club or something...

juggle weavesmiley juggle

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
there's a fire troupe called WildFire entertainment in Chicago, you might try looking them up?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
this certainly doesnt belong here.

moving to social...hmm...discussion.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

IzteSILVER Member
28 posts

Posted:
relax, guys. All cool spinners are in Russia wink

Intergalactic Parade

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think it's more city dependant than country dependant.

Also, it's because it's looked at very differently there... more as juggling, where as here in the US it's more linked to just lighting stuff on fire and burning it about.

I've written posts on it... one titled "The London Factor"...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
yeah that and the fact that we are sooo very coool.. ubblol lolsign hehe

i love you really grouphug

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link] is a pretty phat thread...

yeah, the UK poi communities are ace smile

Written by: NYC

I think it's more city dependant than country dependant.

yeah, kinda. But UK spinning is cool all over, not just in London. Witness the various scarily good people in Sheffield, Bristol, Edinborough and Guildford, just for a start.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
why are all the cool spinners in the UK? ? ? ? Your mama!!!! There are some fatty spinners over here as well....maybe you just don't know where to look, silly. Hey socks.......tuck your soulder in more....looks kinda sloppy
bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Arf?

Hey, I haven't found anyone in the US yet to learn from, I'm literally watching vids, and thinking "Ok, if I do THIS, I can do THAT." But it's a LOT easier when there's someone else there to bounce off of.

And if you were spinning your walking cane you'd look sloppy too. Balance? What's balance?

Socks

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
I'm with Socks on this one. . . even up where I am where we have a good solid. . . 20 spinners in my town alone, and probably double that number in Vancouver. . .

No one even touches on the skills and abilities of the UK/Oz crowds wink

Seems there's a lot more skill and teachers where you guys are wink

Something I'll be checking out when I next head back to Scotland to visit family (only gonna be an hour outta Edinborough!)

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
If you can't find anyone really good in your town, why not just *BE* that really good person? I've been spinning mostly solo for a year and a half now, I'm highly tech oriented and plan to stay that way. Sure, there's people a lot better than me that spin (not in my area, but in other places), but what's the need? You know that more can be done with poi than you yourself can do, so why not experiment and find stuff out, teach others and start your own community?

I understand the desire to be around other spinners, have a sense of community and inspiration... but the London spinners didn't pop out of the ground. It is a more well developed community, why not work on developing your own? Throw weekly spin jams. Make bonfires and provide fuel for others. Teach beginners for FREE, and instill a sense of urgency in getting better to the people around you.

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
i most definitely agree with millennium. the words were taken out of my mouth. i bet there are other people like you in your area just gagging for a commumity to spin with. get out there and find them.

the uk may have the cooler spinners but i dare you to find me a bloody footbagger. it's all about what community develops where. and if you see a gap and a need then fill it.

my state of mind creates my world

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep.

have to agree with millenium. well mostly anyway.

but espescially about the 'start your own community' bit.

in edinburgh seven years ago there was basically three poi spinners, a heap of club swingers, and a few staff spinners. we admittedly have beltane to provide a constant stream of spinners comng in and out of the city, but in that short time we have gone i would say fom ten spinners, none of them technically good by todays standards, to 100-150 resident spinners with a further 50-100 passing through at any one time.......

work on it. have faith. build a community. make people want to visit you.

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
if you book them

they will come

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[irrelevantpostindiscussion]

if you cook them

they will not come back.

smile

[/irrelevantpost]

stickmanWorld Champ Procrastinator
580 posts

Posted:
ditto bluecat (sorry UCoF tongue)

if you go out and look for some and actively start a community, it will flourish in no time..
i thought i was alone in holland when it comes to spinning, i never saw any posts from ppl in the NL, but then i posted the (meantime famous) thread under cross country bla two or threee months ago, and weve got 19 pages already.. all ppl in holland! well mostly biggrin we had a meeting in amsterdam last week and (compared to you bluecat its nothing) about 25 ppl showed up, including firepoise from ireland and vanize from berlin..

jsut take initiative man, and youll see itll work.. or do some shows and get others into it

good luck mate! biggrin

toweryGOLD Member
32 posts

Posted:
I know that it's a long way from Chicago, but according to my pal Todd, there's a rather large spin-crowd in the greater Seattle area. Book a Thursday afternoon flight during the summer, call in sick from your cell phone on Friday morning, and spend three days drinking coffee in the morning and spinning with really experienced guys and gals on the beaches all night. You can even camp on the beach. Just a suggestion.

"To my delight, I discovered that poi are amazing movement exploration tools. They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings." --Nick Woolsey, also known as Meenik

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
socks i learnt the same way you are and i think that now when someone shows me a new trick im able to pick it up much faster as i can analyse what they are doing better as ive had loads of practise with short video snippets. if youve not already seen them check out teh knox videos on www.soton-firespinning.co.uk as they are well light and u can actually see what hes doing plus they have great sound tracks biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
hey socks, I have to say that the basis of your thread title is more than a little incorrect.

really what it comes down to is a much higher percentange of good UK spinners are on HoP. There are loads and loads of good spinners in the US too, they just are not as likely to participate in this particular web commmunity at those in the UK.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:

And in the UK it's pretty easy for us all to meet. It's
not a big island. And it seems that a lot of people do a
stint in London at some point.

There probably isn't a comparable place in the US.

~peace is a fire~

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Also, I've never visited a 'spin-jam' where most of the
people haven't been brilliantly sharing and selflessly
enthusiastic about what they do.
It one of the things I love about the whole scene. ubblove

I don't know how the US scene compares??

~peace is a fire~

*robyn*BRONZE Member
111 posts

Posted:
that's very true. london is a nomadic stop over

my state of mind creates my world

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
spin jams everywhere are about the same really - I've been to them all over (except australia and new zealand... frown but at least I've several spinners from those places at spin jams and they were the same too!)

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

YexBRONZE Member
97 posts

Posted:
Written by: Phellan

I'm with Socks on this one. . . even up where I am where we have a good solid. . . 20 spinners in my town alone, and probably double that number in Vancouver. . .

Phellan you guys still going hard at riverside these days or is it getting too cold?
EDITED_BY: Yex (1102355524)

"Not all who wander are lost. "

J.R.R. Tolkien

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

[Old link] is a pretty phat thread...

Wow. Must have written that back when I was smart. All spelled right and grammarly and stuff. ubbloco

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I know of several good spinners in the Chicago area, in fact I used to live there and was fortunate enough to train with several of them. PM me if you'd like some contact information, because I know of at least two that would love to find some more people to spin with.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Page: