Forums > Social Discussion > Why are all the cool spinners in the UK, and not in the US?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I get a feeling I could learn a lot more moves a LOT faster if I actually had somoene to bounce ideas off of. Or at least somoene who can say "tuck your shoulder in more." But it seems to me that the staff folks are in the UK.

Kinda a long road trip, but what the hey? ubbangel

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
There are plenty of decent spinners in the midwest... You just have to find them.

Yellow and blue make green.

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there's not really anything like this in the US frown That's why we have to come over here and hang out with you guys. But really....once you find one or two people near you....or you teach one or two people what you can do....the ideas will start rolling. We started to have spin jams and meet ups in a local park....haven't had many people attend yet, but the ones who did were amazing....and did things that we'd never seen.One of these kids said that he learned to spin by using bicycle chains....crazy.

Phellanmember
74 posts

Posted:
Yex--check my PM I sent you for info on what we're trying to set up smile

Mico is right to an extent, I mean the UK spinners are all relatively very close together. You can travel from London to Edinborough in the time it takes me to reach the next town over 8,000 people north of me wink

However just practicing in a public place is usually a good way to meet up with people or find interested people. . . assumign you seem friendly wink Only people I had come up and talk to me in 3 months of spinning at the local park every day for 4 hrs/day were people who were already spinners :P

But still, I think it'd be quite a lot of fun to travel to the UK or Aussie land and see what you people are doing wink Your innovations and techniques. Besides. . . I just have to meet all you bloody wonderful people biggrin

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
Hrm...

Gotta get over the whole shut-in thing. Then again massive injury does that to one. smile It's the only reason I haven't done a video for your collective amusement...

rolleyes

Ok, gotta go find people now. That's cool. Gotta be all social and stuff...

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
australia is good, you really have to be in a capital city but when you're there its great, i've been to meets in Tasmania and Sydney and next year i'm going 2 some in melboure after the CDS performance, australia is wikid!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Dude... this borders on insulting, to be honest. There's a HUGE poi and spinning scene in the US, especially on the west coast. But ironically, as Arashi and Dio have both pointed out, some of the best spinners are actually the guys formerly called WildFire, based out of Chicago. In general, I find that spinners I meet everywhere (including London) don't really post on (or even read)HOP. For what it's worth, there's quite an American spinning community building on tribe.net -- mostly because of its popularity with Burning Man people.

Yeah... spinjams everywhere are very similar... but that can also mean that cliques develop among the regulars, so you just have to be willing to take the first step and introduce yourself to everyone.

PS - Phellan, I've heard there are tons of spinners in BC...
EDITED_BY: Orbit (1103359507)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Orbit

Dude... this borders on insulting, to be honest. There's a HUGE poi and spinning scene in the US, especially on the west coast.

Shhhhh! It's much easier if we just keep telling the Brits that they're the best. It's been working well for me for YEARS. Trust me. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
I've taken a decidedly "gurrila" method to it. I've got a friend of mine who watched me spin the other night, and we're gonna try to jam together and see what we can create. PLUS I fond a lot of people who also did spinning, but mostely in the "martial arts" vein and not performance poi style.

I'll toss pics up in my little folder in a bit. smile

-Socks

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Written by: towery

I know that it's a long way from Chicago, but according to my pal Todd, there's a rather large spin-crowd in the greater Seattle area. Book a Thursday afternoon flight during the summer, call in sick from your cell phone on Friday morning, and spend three days drinking coffee in the morning and spinning with really experienced guys and gals on the beaches all night. You can even camp on the beach. Just a suggestion.

send dogboy somewhere else eh, e's got no respect ubbangel

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
who did i say were the best? confused

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I was kinda wondering where you said that too, mustave missed that thread..O wait!! he got musashii and arashi mixed up..Damn, just coz our names end in shi(i) don't mean we're the same yo! spank I wasn't even sayin they(Wildfire) were the best, I've nevah seen them spin.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

SocksBRONZE Member
288 posts

Posted:
If I got respect I wouldn't dress up as a dog to perform. smile

Lemme get my finances sorted, I'll try to make an outing to London and spin with them sometime. Where's that passport? And think it's cheaper to put on the dog and pack myself in an animal crate? smile

Ok, it's 4:30 AM and I'm goofy, sorry....

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... like a dog.... you could just throw yourself in a box with a few postage stamps on it... you know, looney toons stylee. anyways... if anyone any good from the northeast of the US of A reads this, get back to me. I haven't seen anyone pull off a trick that I can't do for a good long time, but I'd still like to learn more.... for example, I can't swing a weave behind my back...

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
waitaminit... you're claiming no one's been able to show you anything new... except that you can't do a BTB Weave... Oookayyy... maybe you should go practice the one you can't do. Better yet, take a field trip to New York and have Skunk and Dee school ya... buncha obnoxious lil punks...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Orbit

buncha obnoxious lil punks...

umm umm umm What's the point of calling someone names? You might disagree with their views, but come on! Try and show a little tolerance, and don't be a punk! wink

N.B. No offense meant to any known or imagined actual punks, myself included wink ubbloco ubbloco

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Sorry... was trying to take the grumpy old man persona one step further. And for the record, I did not mean that Skunk and Dee are obnoxious punks -- I meant the posters who think that if they were in the UK they would just be surrounded by great spinners.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
No worries! I for one agree about the idolization of UK spinners being overblown. But then, they seem to be fairly predominant here on HoP! And many are indeed very good!

But in fact , we all know that the best spinners are in Canada!!!!! wink Just kidding!!!

That's the problem with a forum, one can write something and be taken literally. When its meant off the cuff!

Just the opinion of another grumpy old man!

Cheers!

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
i recon earths the best place for spinners.

tongue

everyyewheres different and has their own stly and sclass
i think this is offtopic anyway but it got everyones attentiona nd now hopefully boy gotin touch wit some spinners nearby which was the point of this i think.. why am i posting?

:mumbles off elsewhere:

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I'm not slagging the London spinners at all... I know a bunch of them and they are pretty amazing. I'm just saying that we have our share of good spinners in the US, and that we have our share of a spinning community as well. We just aren't all over HOP. If any of you are on tribe.net, join the Art of Poi tribe, then look for me (Roger - I post a lot) and look through my profile and others for other poi and fire related tribes to join.

And if you're from Chicago, one of my spinning friends from Chicago suggested a good half dozen spinners on tribe that you can contact so find me there...

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Canada's got Menik (Nick Woolsey)... so yeah, Canada's got great spinners too... and loads of spinners in Toronto and all over BC.

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
socks, dont go london, come to manchester, its far more fun tongue

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Gri-griMember
84 posts

Posted:
I must say, I'm in a similar position, where I live I know of very few spinners, and none (including myself) I would consider excellent!

I think it's just important to make do with the resources that you have, such as HoP, and vids, books etc!!!

But I can't wait to come over to the UK to accelerate the learning curve!!!

Where the mind goes,
The body will follow...

Page: