Forums > Social Chat > Martial Arts Question, Please Help

Login/Join to Participate

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
Ok so my wife and I have decided to take a martial arts calss. She has taken a few years of Taekwando, and I took about a year of Tai Boxing. Now we don't want to take a main stream class (i.e. taekwando, traditional karate, etc.) So I was wondering if any of you could suggest one for me to look into..........keep in mind I an in the USA and limited to what is around me, but please please please help.............thank you meditate

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
You want one that practically no-one does? (well, here at any rate!)

Iaido

My teacher's site on it

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I have it on good authority that it's common in north america. aw well! over here, when someone asks what I do on friday night I just say "some japanese martial art" cos if I say "Iaido", I get funny looks! ubblol

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

1,489 posts

Posted:
well i looked for it in my area (tampa, florida) and no luck......but still thank you

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
https://www.gulfcoastkendo.com/

from the "good authority" I mentioned earlier. it's Kendo, but they should be able to point you in the right direction

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
hey dude take capoeira...yyyyeeaaaahhhh

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

1,489 posts

Posted:
ok brain IF they had that anywere near me i would...........BUT they dont............ dont you think i thought of that one first? wink.........just messing with man, i only smack grasshoppah around

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I talked to someone the other day who thought i should do something called XMA (Xtreme Martial Arts).

It involves weapons so it might tie in with the spinning you do...donno...might be interesting

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
https://www.tampacapoeira.com/

comon now you didnt even look. biggrin

If I could be granted one wish I would ask for all the questions of the universe.

1,489 posts

Posted:
ya ya patrick just sent me the link

Burning Braineye shifter
321 posts

Posted:
dide you see the price. 10 bucks for unlimited sessions in a week. thats pretty good.

1,489 posts

Posted:
yea thats good, but remember i have a child as well, so ALOT of the slots they show for class times i cant get to, i think i found a school, im going thurs to talk with the instuctor

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym (Previously Toyer90)

I talked to someone the other day who thought i should do something called XMA (Xtreme Martial Arts).

It involves weapons so it might tie in with the spinning you do...donno...might be interesting

XMA is a complete showy waste of time with absolutely no value as a martial art. Those guys have horrible attitudes and don't know the first thing about the responsibility that comes with trianing yourself to be a weapon.

That being said, why are you avoiding "mainstream" styles? I do ITF Tae Kwon Do (and have done it for the last 5 years) and am completely satisfied with the class... and this is after a couple years of kickboxing, Karate, Kung Fu and Jeet Kun Do.

What you should look for, is a place where you can learn the martial art at a fair price that isn't some sort of pro-rated belt factory, but the single most important thing you should look at is how at-home you feel with the place. Most dojos will offer a free training session or two - take advantage of these and get a feel for the different places. The dojo you pick will become a social group for you and your family, so keep that in mind as well. Your deliberate mention of the family tagalongs would seem to imply you're looking for a family activity, possibly to get in shape or something? Find a place that will become a second family to all of you, is my best suggestion.

I once worked out with a school just for the summer, and walked out with many friends I still maintain correspondence with. Several were parents with children at the same school, from all different walks of life, but they accepted me the instant I set foot in the room and never once made me feel uncomfortable or like an outsider (despite my rank in a ompletely different style of fighting) The art was different from my own and I don't currently practice it, but they were gracious enough to let me work out with them and learn some of their style, as well as share some of my own with them, and we are all better off for the experience both as martial artists and as friends.

In short - don't worry so much about the art, as the school that's teaching it. Differentiating the styles comes later, once you've gotten enough experience to really distinguish them from one another.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
i do ...well i should say used to do now coz i havnt been for a while but want to start up angain... Hapkido. this is my clubs site: www.combat.co.nz dont supose you can go there but check it out and see if you like the look of it and maybe you could find one somewhere around you...

one of the things i liked about it when i started, was that it didnt just focus on one type of style of just stricking, just graping that type of jaz, but dose a bit of alot. i realy enjoyed it smile

(if you go into the gallery looking under throws, and stomach, thats me!! theres a few others floting round. im the only chick, and i was yellow belt at the time smile )

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Capoeira, Shaolin, Ninjitsu, hungar, drunken boxing, jui jitsu, mui thai (?), russian martial arts, tai chi quan..theres heaps, personally i do ninjitsu and taekwondo.
Happy happy fun fun fun

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
i do judo and kickboxing, try judo its more take down moves than contact

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
A great forum you can check out is www.bullshido.com , its purpose is specifically to evaluate (more or less) places where martial arts are taught in order to expose which ones teach quality technique, and which ones are nothing but money-grubbing lowlives who will award belts to keep your business. It might serve you well in finding a quality dojo in your area smile

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

1,489 posts

Posted:
ok dio my main thing about mainstream, is that i feel you loose something in the training becasue SO many people take it, and teach it.........plus im not a mainstream kind of guy..........now with that said, i think i found a studio this guy has severl dif forms he teaches, everything from mainstrem Tae Kwon Do to capoeria and wepons froms from katana to bow staff, and his prices are pretty good too, ill let you guys know.

thanx for all the input

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
"everything from mainstrem Tae Kwon Do to capoeria and wepons froms from katana to bow staff"

Fryed Fish, do you realise the number of years of training one must invest in any one particular martial art before one can become a good teacher?

i do hope you've found what you've been looking for, but be careful that this guy isn't a "jack of all trades, master of none"

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I'm with Dio and Faberge.

Love is the law.

1,489 posts

Posted:
no no Fab, the grand master does not teach all that sorry i should have been a lil more clear, that what his studio offers, he has other instuctors that teach in his stuido...........

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
sounds good. iv always loved capoeira, but theres only one place you can do it in nelson and some o the things iv hurd arnt the best. i saw a demonstation of it wons and fel in love with it. Beautiful to watch but very hard to do. not many women do it, and youd have to have very good uper body strenth im told.

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Flaming!

There's plenty of women around the world that do Capoeira. One of the best Mestres I know , Lua, although she's now retired, isn't a physically powerful person. So don't let the idea of it being a man's art hold you back.

You can always go by Capoeira Pacifika there in Nelson and see if there are other women training.

Just my opinion!

Cheers!

Patrick