Forums > Social Chat > How long have you been Spinning?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning Poi since November, and I lit them up for the first time in January.When I wanted to play with fire happened alot earlier, I was about 3 and I saw a fire juggler/swallower/Blower. I was mesmorized. I didn't know how he could do that without getting burnt. When I went up to him to ask he said he was born with dragon skin. I believed himI always watched fire performers with AWE I always loved the idea of flirting with the raw element.But it was in my mind "thats for the professionals" ( You know the ones with dragon skin ) I went to Pennsic war in August and there I saw some performers at "The Rouge Vs. the Beer party."As I watched them perform, I thought then Why cant I do it? Its not JUST for professionals... I mean THEY had to start somewhere. When they were done I went over to introduce myself..... But forgot I was holding up my boyfriend( he was tryiing to help the rouge tackle thier foe so I had to support him)... He fell down a hill and I had to go help him get up... When I got back up the hill the fire performers were gone. It took me a while to find out what it was called so that could find it on the internet. But here I am. and spinning and loving it!~spryte~

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Its about a month since i first saw a set of poi, which was the same night i first picked them up, which was the first time i lit up smile been practicing pretty flat out since then.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Kapura MataaroHoP resident longboarder.
195 posts

Posted:
ubbidea spinning? mucking around for about 3 years....actually trying? about a year, i have learnt so much in that year that it isn't funny....

just being slightly offtopic how long are you a newbie for?

"surely a longboarding fire spinner should have no trouble getting some action!"- NYC....

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
It's my one year anniversary! ubbloveAnd i'm still a newbie by my standards........

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
11 months of poi! biggrin biggrin
2 months of staff! biggrin
1 week of meteor! redface
2 hours of juggling! mad

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
I can't believe that its been about 3 years now. I did have a break from it when I moved to France and its only recently that I've started learning stuff again. Went through a phase when I just didn't feel inspired by it but I'm over that now and ready to learn lots of new things biggrin

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I was given the Gift of Fire as my high school Graduation Gift in 1997 from one of my best friends. She gave my two sisters and I practice poi a month before. We got a few solid moves down, and a couple partner moves and we lit them up on Graduation night!! Been Dancing ever since weavesmiley

I can't believe its been almost 7 years now! eek I now spinn staff and double staff, I blow and eat fire as well. ubblove What can I say I am a Fire Freek! biggrin

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Kombi guyBRONZE Member
HOP OM
225 posts

Posted:
I saw a young girl twirling fire poi at a party about 9 years ago weavesmiley. I must of watched her twirling for half the night, totally blown away by the combination of fire and dance. eek The next day I asked her to give me a lesson on twirling. Ive been addicted ever since. smile ubbrollsmile

DFZBRONZE Member
Christian Death Metal Anyone?
313 posts

Posted:
i've been doing staff for about a year and now my little brother is learning and he is only ten.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
-- Steven Wright

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*throws this down the stairs*

wink

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
cruelty to smilies will not be tollerated!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for about a year, my friend introduced me to them on a uni trip. I had a go, was instantly addicted. I had a go spinning fire that night (even though it was just circles by my side and butterflys). I bought practice poi as soon as I got back and fire about amonth later.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
iv been spining since 2003. im not very advanced for the time ive been doing it, but in that tym, iv also learnt ball, club, knife, cup, plate, and hat juggling, staff, stilts, diabolo, meteore, clowd swing, sward, meteorite, eating, breathing, fans, and club swinging. so i have a very wide range of skills.

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
I've been poi- ing for about a month now, i had a freidn who used to spin fire an i thought it was stunning, never got round to buying some poi until a few weeks ago when bored at work i thought screw it! i want to learn!

So here i am.. bought a nice staff yesterday and have been working on the basic contact stuff for a few hours..

So glad that i was having a slow day at work otherwise i would have missed out on so much!

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
YAY STAFF! It's way better then poi (:P).

I picked up staff about 5 months ago, i still suck.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Roooaaar! Dinosaur thread!

I have been spinning as long as my reg date indicates.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I wish it was longer but I been spinning for about 4 months now.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Sorry to dig up such an old thread tongue2

I started about 4 years ago for a month or 2, a freind at college had just started learning and let me use his. Learned 3 beat weave and butterfly, but then left my poi in a box for yearssssss.

Dug them out again about 4 months ago, picked up from where I left off all them years ago and now spin for an hour or 2 each day.

Wish I hadn't put them down now, I would love to have 4 years of solid poi experience behind me now frown

I think it would be quite interesting for some of the people who were beginners at the start of the thread to tell us how far they have come since posting first time smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
7 years for me now...

shocked

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
1 year, 10 months.

hug

crimson roseSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
almost 3 yrs for me now. start about 4yrs ago got into fire pretty quick but left my pois at macers one night and they threw them out!!!!!
partner brought me some more a yr later and ive become more and more addicted!! just starting to leart staff and fire hackey my god that is fun!!

MelissaRhaeI have dibbs on Zack Attack
11 posts

Posted:
I have been interested in poi for years and I made myself a set of poi about two years ago. But about two weeks ago I really started to practice with a new set of poi that I made that don't hurt as much when you wack yourself in the head(socks and water ballons) . smile So for about two weeks. But I got the poibug bad. I don't want to leave my house with out my poi becasue you never know when you are going to get some down time and may be able to bust out a few moves for practice. Anyone else like that, or am i just weirder than I thought ? lol

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Its been a while for me. Got introduced to it January of my freshman year in high school and will be a senior this fall. Had to take a break for about a year though. Have yet to light up because for one I don't trust my skills and even if I did I don't have the money. Want to start fans and possibly staff. But the money is an issue and so is time to learn.
And MelissaRhae: I would always take my sets with me for about 6 months...

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFoot7 years for me now...

shocked
Same here!

How long before we officially qualify as 'old-skool'?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Seye

How long before we officially qualify as 'old-skool'?

Was the 5 beat amazing? If it was, then you're old skool. tongue2

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
That makes me old-skool. tongue2

I have been spinning since July/August 2006.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

zwoksticker
2 posts

Posted:
I'm 15 years old i've been spinning with flowersticks for many years...last year I went to an event with lots of workshops, i spent three days in a workshop called Fire-art. I made myself some great devilsticks, my first fire toy. Some days ago i got my fire poi ready too...I also do juggling, unicycleing, yo-yoing and i walk on slacklines etc..

VikingBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I've been practising poi for almost two years now, some friends of mine used to do it and the first time I saw people do it was on a festival (Castlefest, best Dutch festival there is, with fire-shows and stuff like that!). I tried to do a 3-beat weave and it really pissed me of that it looked some much easier then it was for me at the time.. I kept hitting myself.. tongue2

Back at home I tried to make some sockpoi to start practising, but I had no tennisballs or juggling balls, so I just grabbed some oranges. I've spent the rest of the day trying to clean all the orange spots from the furniture and ceiling.. xD

And occassionally I pick up my diabolo. I got that one when I was still a 5-year old, or something like that. It was really difficult back then to get the hang of it, which had me demotivated for years, it is only now that I've started to teach myself some nice diabolo tricks again.

That's about all my spinning experience. Oh, wait; someone taught me a staffmove a year ago, it looks very crappy when i do it, but it is something! tongue2

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
5 years now, and counting. The main reason I still love it is the cameraderie that associates the spinning community. I can honestly say I have made lifelong friends through this art. Plus, it still looks cool smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MelissaRhaeI don't want to leave my house with out my poi becasue you never know when you are going to get some down time and may be able to bust out a few moves for practice. Anyone else like that, or am i just weirder than I thought ? lol

I am the same, I spin on my 15 min and my 30 min breaks at work, stop off for an hour or so on the beach on the walk home, an hour or 2 before work on an average day. Also when waiting for busses and trains, walking home from places (more so at night) etc etc. I constantly keep them in my bag or pockets for when I get a few minutes spare.

Prob a bit too enthusiastic, but I am definitely improving very quickly (according to my friend), so I see no reason to stop smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Page: