Forums > Help! > How to fix broken links?

Login/Join to Participate

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Hi there smile

Recently i've been looking at some old threads that date back to the old version of HOP.

All the links that people put down are broken, because the URLs for threads have all changed around.

What i want to know is if there's a way to work out which thread it was meant to be linking to? Is there any way of converting the old thread number to a new one?

in particular at the moment i'm looking for:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000438
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000554
https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000101

which are threads 101, 438 and 554 in Poi moves (they should all be about windmills)

but the thread numbers on the new forums seem to start somewhere around 90000ish(?)

confused

help will be met with extreme monkey gratitude ubbangel

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

lol how to list every thread made on hop wink

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
now how to find the thread numbers! this is tricky... 000101 gives me an old zeada staff video thread!"..... so that means that there was major database chages migrating to the new forums. no wonder malcome had problems here migrating!
this may mean that 000101 is now some thing that your not goingto guess ! unless we know how the DB was converted to work on the new system.

3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm, the first thread ever posted in Poi Moves is thread 95480

They increase number with every new thread in the forum

but 95581 isn't the right thread...

and is the same thread as 95582 ?!?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
reet.... with out looking at malcomes DB converter.... im stumped, i ran a search on windmill related posts and topics, went through the entire DB, nothing.... need to see how they were migrated, unless FNF checks in a nd could remember what the thread titles were called, then you could just call them in a search!

i red some really old topics, some that are still really interesting but have been laid to rest for far too long to resurect right now.

3,149 posts

Posted:
i've been reading loads and loads of phat old skool threads recently.

and it's never too late to resurrect an interesting thread smile
(whatever a certain grouchy american might claim tongue)

i've manually been through every thread in Help! in Poi Moves, and found buggerall about windmills except for [Old link] which those other links came from (thanks to nearly_all_gone for finding it)

i'm guessing maybe those other threads didn't make the move frown or maybe i just can't find em...

ok this is interesting... these are all the same thread. Numbers 95575-95589.
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

hmm, maybe 15 is the 'magic number' umm

obsessive nocturnal munky signing out...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ok that just makes no sense what so ever.... each has a topic number different to each other but all point to the same topic??? thats well strange.

i tried changing the cat numbers too but they all come back with the same topic.

i also tried changing the ubb number... still comes back to that exact topic.

so i think maybe half the old forums got wiped out lol.

if its still giving a list of topics there then they must be there!, some thing is wrong some where and its all a little too weird.

ive tried all the posibilities i know of frown

maybe malcome could shed some light... i dont mind looking at some php to see if i can make some head way on how the SQL transfered.

3,149 posts

Posted:
i was removing the restraining bolt from my R2 unit, when a strange hologram of a lady in white appeared. She kept repeating the phrase:

"help us obi-Dom-kenobi... you're our only hope..."

i wonder what she meant? confused wink

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
lol

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Oh dear boys, you've been trying to work out the unpossible.

When the board moved from flat text files to a database every post got entered and given a new post number. There's no easy way to find out where old threads are now. The order the posts were added were: forum directory (alphabetically), then working from the first thread posts from that were added, then all from th next thread, etc... And then some were buggy and didn't transfer and the script kept on going, skipped that thread and moving to the next.

This was why is was a real problem to fix Intro's going missing on the change over.

Try searching (searching through Google seems to get better results than the functionality above)

As to why 1000 links all point to the same thread is that those numbers on the end are the post numbers - not topic numbers (there are none anymore). It should take you to the exact post, but doesn't for some reason I might try and look into. If you add #Post95581 it does. Or if you're viewing threaded mode.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Surely that be impossible Dom?

wink

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thanks dom :X

3,149 posts

Posted:
oh riiiight... i see the source of my confusion

jon - 'unpossible' means stuff that used to be possible, but is now impossible
well, it doesn't really, but it's a good explanation wink

thanks dom smile