Forums > Social Chat > Have you quit smoking?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I was just wondering whether anyone here has quit smoking recently and has any tips...
My will power is quite good but I'm starting to get quite moody after three days. I dont really desire them too much but I feel very hypertense and just not right...

Anyone have any good hints and tips to avoid upsetting the people around me...

HELP! ARG! ubbloco juggle

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
go to:

www.whyquit.com

VERY good website

CatalystSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
You could think about how your gums will rot because of smoking...you could think about how your teeth will slowly become loose...how they will eventually work themselves out of the gum tissue and into your hand, or on your plate. You can think about dentures by the time your fourty or fifty. You can think about yellow teeth from all of the nicotine stains...aside from all of the other wonderful health risks. Everyone talks about the big C, but don't really touch on the fact that you might be getting periodontal disease or mouth lesions.

I used to smoke like a champ...as well as enjoying a wide variety of bad habits. Sometimes it takes really looking inside yourself and figuring out why you are doing things to yourself that will eventually kill you, or make you have a sucky existance. It's not about what to do with your hands....it's about what to do with your mind and training yourself to think of yourself as a good person...one that deserves the best life possible.

So, the next time you have a cig in your hand, think about the teeth that you might have in your hands next year....and Don't do it!!!! When you want a cig...take a jog around the block and on your way back in the door...take a big stomp on the cig that you would have smoked!!

Good luck!!

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quiting was the easist thing I've done... in fact I've quit smoking four times now... wink

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

dunnett2newbie
1 post

Posted:
Me too! It's so hard - any helpful advice or pointers would really be appreciated!

frown redface

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
lol I plan to go back to my other practices wink as soon as I feel like I' wont depend on cigs any more....

quitting is pretty simple...

see you soon,
k

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
i quit about 25 times a day... then i have another one.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i quite for about 2 years once i used liquarice to help me stop it worked great.. them i watched my best friend be torn into about 100 pieces and i started smoking again frown

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
i have no idea what this thread is about i just thought i should run a search on smoking befor i have a rant. so.

my boyfriend is a smoker, and i cant stand the stuff. the smell of it the tast of it after hes smoked all that. tonigh he has 3 in the space of an hour. after each one he said thats it. after each one he smoked again. i dont mind if he smokes because i no hes addicted and that hes gunna do it any way, but tonight we werent just drinking but not going to town with every one cause he wanted to spend a little bit of time together because we havnt for ages. he went of for a sesh for bout bout and hour which was all good -hed already been planing that. when he got back he went to have just one more. i walked away. then he had another one. and another one and is now i belive onto his 4th since he got back. im not talking to him because im upset that hes still smoking and hes smoking because hes shity that im shity at him.

do i have any reason to be shity or am i just over reacting? confused

sorry just had to have a little bit of a rant. rolleyes

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Oh, you're going to hate me for that, but I found that quitting was really easy. I did change my daily routine of doing things at the same time (and kicked the smoking ex-boyfriend out of my flat, not because he was smoking though, don't worry!!) and I was just busy thinking about other stuff.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yup. I'm currently in off mode smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
So iv been off for 7 days now. Quite fitting i think. smile I feel good...but every now and then i really really really need a censored smoke! Like right now frown

Why do i want a smoke more now than on day 1!?!

And they say you cant drink coffee or beer! WTF im trying to quite smoking! not coffee. Its to much to ask that i quit everything at once. And nico-gum taste's like censored and worse with coffee frown

/me breaths, ok thats better...sry for the rant

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Hey dude, I'm on day 2 today! smile Maybe it's a bad idea for us to be hanging out at such a dangerous time ubblol

I tend to get moody....and anti social too ubbloco

Edit: I just realised I have the post before you too... man I'm always quitting... never give up giving up!
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1124849072)

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea i turn into a biatch. Im ok then i suddenly get the urge and then im fine... wtf

I got a pack right here to, im keeping it tho. My cousin ran out and wanted mine! No way im keeping it! Why?... the challenge

I still want one

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
somebody slap me

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
You should buy a camel packet.

I'm reading this book called Still Life With Woodpecker and it explains how all you need to survive years of solitary in Jail is an unopened Camel Packet....

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
DOOOOOOOOD i love camel!

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I find quitting anything easy, if you put your mind to it. tongue

Latest quit - chocolate.

Willy - is bad for your health...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

I find quitting anything easy, if you put your mind to it. tongue

Ok... Take up smoking for a while. Get addicted. Then try and quit. You'll see.

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

1,019 posts

Posted:
I'm not foolish enough to take up smoking in the first place, so I'll never understand how hard it is for you lot to quit. But I've stopped drinking alcohol before, and that was easy. :\

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
but im sure you werent an alcoholic before-hand.

When you smoke, your body bacomes addicted to the nicotine, and your mind becomes attached to the scenarios where/when you smoke (ie, after dinner, at the pub).

I think its fair to say that its the situations when you would smoke the hardest thing to cope with when giving up. Its un-natural not to smoke after dinner, and going down the pub and not smoking is simply wrong.

smoking becomes part of your daily routine, and changing what you would do eveyday can be a very anxious time.

Ive given up smoking loads, but ive always come back to it. Its one of my favourite things. That may sound sad, but i dont care!! wink

As for tips, keeping yourself busy is the only thing i can suggest, as all the others failed for me.

Aparently the craving never goes away. We will remain smokers 'giving up' cigarettes forever. Something to look forward to i guess frown

You'll find me on the dance floor

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I've never even tried to stop smoking, I wouldn't,and I've been a smoker for about 8 years. Its a nasty little habit and I love it.I've gone for periods of a few days or weeks maybe where I havnt smoked,because the circumstances were not favourable or because I forgot (it happens sometimes),but its one of the things in my life that give me pleasure, one of my favourite vices. I see no good reason in giving it up if it makes me happy. But to all those who are trying to quit...good luck. hug

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Arty Farty

but im sure you werent an alcoholic before-hand.

Maybe I was...

Well, no, I wasn't. But I used to have a couple of drinks everyday with dinner. It was almost a routine. DId nothing for my health. :\

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Know how you feel. For 6months I comsumed alcohol everyday; sometimes small quantities, sometimes large. I couldnt go to sleep without having a drink by the end of it. Thats when i came back to the priory they call the isle of wight.

Im now on about 6 fags a day, but going back to uni in 3 weeks means i'll be back on the cigs and booze hard core.

You'll find me on the dance floor

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Yip although i didnt find it hard.....it contributed to my blood clot

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Day 14.Something to smile about smile

Cept i had a bad bad morning and i really need a smoke frown shrug thinking about camel makes me go mad2

I have some right here... im looking for an excuse to fire one up censored angry spank ooooops

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
/me starts rolling one

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
My partner is going through this at the moment. We've identified he now smokes when he's stressed, principally at work and especially when he gets sent out on 5 hour drives to fix mine machinery that wasn't broken in the first place, so he now chews gum, simply to do something to take his mind off.

He's cut down from 30 to less than 10 a day, on his days off he's on about 5. Going cold turkey just doesn't work for him, and those nicotine patches help him enormously too.

I also try and encourage him as much as possible by praising him when he has a good day and looking dissapointed when he doesn't. Nagging just won't do a thing. That kind of makes it sound like training a dog doesn't it?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
/me pokes ciggy with a stick

wave Thanks i got through that episode wink biggrin phew

I have patch's AND gum. ubblol You should tell him to stop. Its bloddy tough, but if you have to front up sometime. I tried the whole, smoke and take patchs but it didnt work because i wouldnt front to the pain. The pain is not so bad. It just hit for a little while but im ok now biggrin I can go most of the day with out, but i get sudden urges, if i can get through the urge (afew minutes) i feel sweet again, and better now because i got through smile

Forgot my patch this morning and then had a work meltdown (lucky i dont work at a reactor) wink ubblol

I feel really good to have gone 14 days with only half a smoke on day 2.

Thanks for the encouragement peace

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
YEAY week 3!

How long does it take before you can actually say "Iv given up smoking"???

Page: