Forums > Social Chat > Shooting Stars/Meteor Showers

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone knows anything much about these things? I know they're cosmic debris hitting the earth's atmosphere and burning up on entry... but I was just wondering if there are websites that tell you when and where they're supposed to be, or any other galactic stuff visible with just the naked eye and stuff..

One of the best nights of my life I lay on my back and watched about 100 shooting stars, just catching them out the corners of my eye or streaking across my feild of vision... so beautiful. I've not seen any for years now, and I'd dearly love to see some.

If anyone can tell me ANYTHING I'd love to here it. I've tried searching the net but nothing local to the UK, certainly nothing even remotely comprehensible to a man with no specific knowledge of astrophysics.

Enlighten me biggrin Thank you!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
Watch the sky at night.
Old patrick always tells us when ther's a bunch due.

Or go to the web site.

They tend to come at the same time every year as the eart passes through the clouds of debris on it's yearly round.
They are called thing like 'leonids' etc. cos they appear to be coming from the direction of Leo, etc.

Patrick Moore might look like a heap of ironing waiting to be done, but he knows about this sort of stuff.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Oh definitely biggrin Pat's great. Pat and his unfeasibly fast xylophonic stylings smile That's a really good tip, thanks a lot! *goes off to have a look*

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Quadrantids (3-4 January) ZHR 100 p/hour
Lyrids (21-22 April) 12 p/h
eta Aquirids (5-6 May) 40 p/
delta Aquirids (28-29 July) 20 p/h
Perseids (12 August) 60 p/h
Orionids (21 October) 20 p/h
Taurids (3 November) 12 p/h
Leonids (17-18 November) 10 p/h
Geminids (13-14 December) 60 p/h

As said, they appear to radiate from the constellation named, e.g Gemini, with the exception of the Quadrantides which radiate from the part of the sky once occupied with the now defunct Quadrans Muralis, now a part of Bootes.

The Zenithal Hourly Rate is the number of metoers an observer would see if the radient was directly overhead, but in practise this rarely is and the actual number will be less than the ZHR.

Meteors showers are the product of the earth passing through the trail left behind by a comet, which is why they occur at regular intervals. They add over 30 tonnes of debris to the weight of the earth every year.

So far the only known casualty of being hit by a shooting star is an Egyptian dog.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.