Page:
simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
a list of helpful threads about common moves:

with unhelpful comments from me smile

3BEAT WEAVE

Good stuff from loads, nice thread to continue...

[Old link]

ditto

[Old link]

Jello, Glass and Spiralx probably all drink Carling Black Label

[Old link]

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! i love One Wheel Dave, cos he's a boodist, like MCA from the Beastie Boys

[Old link]

REVERSE 3BT

Lots of good advice from many people

[Old link]

Many of good advice from lots people

[Old link]

CHASE THE SUN

Not very good, but the best i could find:

[Old link]

WINDMILL

Fluffy Napalm Fairy is very cool and has slept in my bed. Unfortunately i wasn't in it at the time

[Old link]

(unfortunately this thread suffers from broken link syndrome frown )

THREAD THE NEEDLE

i am the member of the UCOF fan club. Come, join my annual meeting. i have badges.

[Old link]

MEXICAN WAVE

i love Flid because he's a vegan, but this DOES NOT mean he's a spanish boss from StreetfighterII

[Old link]

FLOWERS

flowers are pretty. so is ICON.

[Old link]

flowers smell nice. so does ICON. mmmm yummy.[Old link]

BUTTERFLY WEAVE

Coleman and Dantana have unlocked the secret bonus round

[Old link]

Contrary to popular belief, Glass is almost entirely opaque.

[Old link]

Coleman thinks he can do poi. Thus, he can.

[Old link]

5BEAT WEAVE

Old skool Hoppers and an anonymous Josh give sum phat advyse

[Old link]

sometimes, PK and Mot like to pretend they're japanese schoolgirls...

[Old link]

PK hunts down and kills wildebeest. Not for food - that'd be natural. Pure bloodlust. It's sickening... Someone should do something about him.

[Old link]

Funky thread - Cleaning up 5b weave

[Old link]

REVERSE 5BEAT

Many people = Lots of good advice.

[Old link]

Unicyclist and Clubswinger caught in Wrist/Elbow Debating Scandal!!!!!

[Old link]

Rev says some cool stuff here. He's in a cult now, you know. Every time i try to chat to him about antispin he just starts talking about motherships and cosmic vibration. Quite sad really. (note: this is a lie)

[Old link]

Malcolm talks about hitting himself in the face with beaming poi. i do that too. Great minds think alike, eh?

[Old link]

BEHIND THE BACK WEAVE (mainly reverse)

oldskool advice is the best advice

[Old link]

oldskool advice II - the oldskool strike back

[Old link]

oldskool advice III - revenge of the oldskool

[Old link]

FORWARDS BEHIND THE BACK WEAVE

Dragon isn't really a dragon. He's just pretending.

[Old link]

the usual suspects, offering "helpful nuggets"...

[Old link]

The UN have declared that 'Fluffy Napalm' is a 'Weapon of Fluffy Destruction', and it's use is therefore a flagrant breach of basic pixie rights.

[Old link]

WAISTWRAPS

This thread is pretty definitive, and Glass is a 'little bunny sandwich'

[Old link]

BEHIND THE BACK 5BEAT WEAVE

Good advice, a debate about names and soft drug references? What more could you asK???

[Old link]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The list was cut down from my original one i posted, removing threads that were less helpful, or just duplicated advice from the other threads.

this post originally went like THIS:

Hi there smile

i've been thinking it'd be nice if this forum had a list of the best threads about the most commonly asked about moves (The Weave, Windmill, BTB Weave, 5bt weave, all the stuff from the HOP lessons, etc...)

i've been thinking it'd be really nice if people asking about moves were given a helpful place to go to, rather than being curtly told to "Do a Search".

The search function can be quite helpful, but it's really hard to find the most useful and relevant threads, particularly when they involve extremely common subject matter.

i don't reckon this list would stop people asking about the same old moves, but it would give us a set location to direct people to, and a set location for new advice to be offered.

So if people could post links here to really helpful advice threads about common moves then they'd make me a happy monkey smile

I think that ones that link to other relevant threads are particularly useful:

like Dragon07's great post in this [Old link]

(i know coleman did some similar helpful linking in a 5beat weave thread recently. i've been searching for it for 15 minutes now and i can't find it redface Anyone know where it is?)

So, all suggestions for good move advice threads will be most gratefully accepted. Now i'm off to trawl the most deepy deepest depths of this Forum looking for advice on how to do the weave. Smoke me a kipper...

EDITED_BY: simian (1126002765)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
or even better, make it into an article... ubbangel

then simian wouldn't have to maintain it (that should be the job of the site moderators i think) and this thread could turn into a suggestion point for additions to the main article.

in future then, the search could kick up the article first for searches with terms like '5 beat weave', 'waist wrap' and so on smile

we were talking about it over [Old link].

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Or

Maybe a few prolific posters can take it upon themselves to post a link to this thread in their signature, in the spirit of the fire breathing idea.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
sounds good to me but bump with relavent words

Tips, weave, help, chase the sun, windmill, reverse weave, BTB weave, reverse brt weave, rev weave, mexican wave, 5bt weave

ok i think thats the main topics :P

back

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Some helpful admin should sticky this... smile

cool

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Some helpful mod should bring me cups of tea and a selection of cream buns... smile

*looks hopeful*

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Yay! We finally got this stickied! biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mand

Yes, it's called a butterfly weave.
Your poi are spinning a butterfly, and your hands are spinning a weave motion.

There's quite a bit of info about it [Old link]
and [Old link]

Hope this helps. smile

Just found these, both a bit more easy to follow than the currently listed butterly weave thread, imo.. but that may just be me smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Let's not forget Simian's *other* useful threads thread, full of lots of sparkley hyperloops and air wraps:

[Old link]

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

triganBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Hi folks,

Here is a page with lots of lessons how to learn Poi /Meteor with explanations and movies.
for beginners and advanced players.

www.glowball.de/lessons/

greetings from germany

trigan smile

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I really need help with BTB(Behing The back) stuff. first off i've been practicing spinning backwards and spin them in split time and did this untill I felt very confident upon how it works. But whenever I try crossing my arms behind the back the poi tangles.

I can do the btb buttefly. But that's easy. I tried different poses and tried moving and I can do it from time to time with one poi, but two beacomes very difficult.

Help please ?

3,149 posts

Posted:
Try asking for help in one of the Behind the Back weave threads. That way the advice you get given might help other people too smile

You can find the links in the first post in this thread.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

kittykillerSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
ok, so ive heard about this move called a buzzsaw yet cannot find a thread about how to do it with poi...what is it, how do you do it and are there any movies for it? (side note, 5 minutes ago i got 5 beat weave...yay! ((big accomplishment for me)))

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*is still waiting*

wink

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Kitty [Old link]

tongue

kittykillerSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
waaaahhhh, i can't do reverse 3 bt weave. also, how does one do butterfly weave?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
look on page one of this thread...

Hatstandnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place, but I'm confused to all buggery.
Ahem. Aaanyway, I need help finding out the name of a move that I've only seen a couple of times and can't figure out how it's done, let alone describe it. It looks like you grab the chain of the opposite poi around about the middle and then kind of spin it round (isolated). It looks a bit like a buzzsaw. Actually, wait... am I describing an isolated buzzsaw? Aw hell.

We'll never make it to the safety of rock... maybe that small rock.

DevakasiSILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
What about antispin? I am trying to understand what the heck it is in the first place, and most of what I find is about how to do antispin weave or flowers. Weaves and flowers I get, but what is antispin? Are there any videos of it without the weave, and just the spin? sunny

Namaste,
Devakasi (Divinity Shining)

gyrospectdave1SILVER Member
119 posts

Posted:
has anybody got any helpful tips on how to do flowers? they are anoying me, i keep asking my poi how to do it, but i found them reluctant to answer. is it just big cicles with the arms while doing little circles with the poi?

sheenewbie
1 post

Posted:
bounce2 hi...can you guys teach me how to do the high turn , tuck turn, and low wave?..

i need this for my ptoject..thank you!:)

wavehello wavehello

kittykillerSILVER Member
23 posts

Posted:
hey guys and gals. So I'm thinking about kicking it up a notch and moving to fire poi. I've been toying with the rainbow glow balls for a couple months, and prior to that I used plain old glowsticks. I've been spinning for about a year now (although I didn't spin as much as I would have liked this summer) and feel like I've plateaued in a sense. I've mastered basic weaves 2 bt, 3, 5, mexican, corkscrew, windmill (although 3bt windmill still eludes me, and I think that's one of the coolest tricks). I can do the butterfly and various butterfly related moves. It's just been linking them that I've been working with, and after a while, you just want to do something new, you know?
I was wondering if you all think it's a good idea to step up to fire poi now, or if I should expand my repitoire a little more. If I do move to fire, how should I go about it? what should I get as my first head? I like the weight of the glow balls so what head will be closest in weight to that? can I just use my #13 ball chains or should I get #15s or ovals? a p message about all this would be greatly appreciated as I don't check the forums too often. Thanks for the help in advance!

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
All right.

I've been spinning for almost a year and a half, maybe just a year. In the year I have spent spinning poi, I've yet to pick up any single fire poi. I suggest that if you do plan on spinning fire poi, that first you do so without it lit. Just get the weight down.

Calm yourself down, teach yourself the knowledge and common-sense of the dangers.

If you would like any help with moves, I'd be glad to continue through PM.

Take care. Be safe.

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

kazmanBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
Hmm, everyone seems so caustious about fire poi. I started tuesday morning, by tuesday night i could i could forward 3 weave, wednesday night i was 3 weaving and normal butterfly with fire poi. It makes it so much more exciting.

Practise makes Poi-fect :P

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
good for you! But that's what worked for you. I would wonder how many times you hit yourself in that time, and were they on fire at the time? If someone wants advice about fire poi, people will always say 'take your time, make sure you know what your doing, have a safety, etc.' And it's damn good advice.

No matter how many times you have spun fire, there is ALWAYS a chance that you will set yourself on fire/get tangled/etc. If you have a lot of experience, you may know what to do in such a situation, but even then some of them cannot be resolved without third party intervention. If you've just started spinning, chances are you will not know how to deal with some situations.

Everyone is just looking out for everyone else's safety. Hence the cautiousness.

Personally I like to get a move solid with sock or cone poi before attempting it with fire poi, even unlit. I use monkeyfists on ball chain and full length ropes (about an inch thick). Monkeyfists hurt like hell when they hit you, and there are some moves I just don't dare try yet with my ropes because I like my eyebrows and top layer of skin too much.

It also gives you something to work towards IMHO, as when I finally get round to nailing a move on fire, I feel really happy if I manage to get it nice and clean, because I can feel AND hear it.

sorry I've gone a bit offtopic

these threads are really helpful, well worth a read if you have the time!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Simian..please can we have a useful list of links to plane talk. Planes still confuse me.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

3,149 posts

Posted:
Well here's a lesson in Basic Planes with Doctor Cole:
[Old link]

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Could anyone walk me through or link me to a video or a tutorial of some sorts that tell me how to do a BTB Flower ? I heard of them, but so far they have been a myth to me, I can't wrap my head around the concept. If my arms are literally behind the back i don't have arm-length enough. Unless either of these two:

1, Doing a Butterfly BTB weave, because then you can alternate lnog arm hence making it a semi-flowery pattern

2, Doing the flower in wallplane btb, which would kinda make sense.

Please help!

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, gotta question about a butterfly problem. I can do butterfly in front in both directions. I can also do a high wave alternating arms. BUT, when I try to do a butterfly beat with both arms behind my head, they tangle.
Any ideas?
Also! smile
What can I be working on with my weave and turn to reverse weave? What can I use those to lead in to new stuff?

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Hey, I'm still nervous of fire poi. I think because I'm always trying new things, and I keep hitting myself. I'm going to wait until I have a routine that I can do without hitting myself a few times in a row. Then I'll go do it at the beach where there's water right next to me. smile
Let me know if you do and how it goes smile
Aloha,
L.

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

Crisisnewbie
17 posts

Posted:
I found a really good flower tutorial on youtube. Here:

Youve probably already seen it, but some might not have. Enjoy!

Page: