SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Now, to my understanding, street performance, busking and the sort is one of the world's oldest professions.

In addition to this, its also known for being one of the top ways to travel with little or no money as you can make money on the streets where the tourists are.

Last friday I was stopped in the middle of a street performance because I lacked the necessary "permit". I made a good 6 bucks before that happened though, and I was pleased with myself. On top of that, the people all boo'd the security guard for being such a wanker.

To me, this is the stupidest thing any city could do if they feel they lack creativity. Unfortunately this is not a creative town, this is a money driven town as this 100$ permit has shown me.

So, my question to the lot of you, is there anyplace else that I have to get a "permit" to busk?

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
No permit needed in Halifax, broshabby. Course, we don't tend to get huge street crowds, either. People love it, though, and we've never been bothered by cops or firepeople.. firemen... uuh... fire extinguishers- no, wait...

Come on down and spin with the Ash Circle sometime, yeah?

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Yeah you definatly need a permit in Brisbane to do ANY type of busking and (correct me if Im wrong anyone) I have heard that in Brisbane you need to audition for it as well! (public liability is also a huge situation over here at the moment)

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
I might come and do that sometime. It sounds like there's some great cities in Canada to visit

Okay, so if brisbane requires permits, then it must be pretty common in a few places. Guess I'm just spoiled by living in London.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
At the risk of getting into trouble, I think you'll find almost every council or country has the concept of applying for a busking "permit".

However, the practicalities of enforcing this, and of backpacking or travelling buskers actually knowing who to get in touch with, filling out a form and having it approved makes a busking permit for every potential busker a loigistical nightmare.

The general concept is there to try and stop every man and his dog from doing busking, but I haven't heard of anyone who has had anything more than a strong warning to move on.

Most of the time, I just hand them my business card and say I am a professional who happens to be practicing, and hoping to pay for a meal, and they let you continue. The card just lets them know you are serious about your own skills.

Obviously, every country is different, so use your own initiative, but be aware that just because they say you need a permit, doesn't always mean you can't busk without one. It's too much hassle for most authoroties to follow through with.

note:this only applies in European and western cultured countries, be VERY VERY careful about other places with conservative governments.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
hmmmm... business card eh?

I gotta get me one of those thingies.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
Here in Calgary (canada)
it 40$ for a busking license and its for hte whole year. what makes it even better it that sometimes depending on what you do the City will actually pay you to do performances at lunch hour downtown.

as for fire performing you need a seperate licence for that ive been told. (im still trying to get to the bottem of it so i dont really know)

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

sammember
32 posts

Posted:
well here in welly you need a lisence but im in the prcess of finding out about them

peace

sam

sammember
32 posts

Posted:
well here in welly you need a lisence but im in the prcess of finding out about them

peace

sam

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
Thats Wellington, Nz, guys! Sam, yo yo ma brudder...umm....no....hey! My sister says "Hey Sammy Wammy"...not. I just got in a lively mood from going up to my fire poi and sniffing the kero on it! Have you found out about pegasol? Does anyone know about Pegasol? How much better is it? Is it cheaper? Particually asking NZers but anyone really....sorry its off topic!!
Sorry FieryFlow.
I want to get a fire dancing permit or a busking permit so I can earn some $$$ for everything ($ is great for that) & for a Jembe drum! Yayy....
Luv 2 Ya All
Fwirl:P

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Not to be disagreeable Valura, (hello gorgeous!) but actually in Brisbane I'm pretty sure you only need a permit to busk in the Queen Street Mall, Brunswick Mall (neither of which allow drums or fire ) or Southbank (and other such corporate/privately owned places.)
...busking in a park or other street environment is usually fine without one - but you should check who owns the land you're doing it on - if it is private you should ask permission I would think...

For many years we busked up at Mt Coot-tha - the lookout - it was a perfect spot and we'd make a few hundred dollars in a couple of shows. We had asked the leasees and done an audition and been billed in their promotions and everything, but lots of people jumped on the bandwagon (and there were a few other regulars who would go up too - who I knew had nothing to do with this) but something went down that someone did some silly unsafe things and everyone was aked not to do it anymore... this was a year or so ago now and probably the best thing for us 'cause we worked harder at becoming full-time professional... but I don't know if anyone has tried going up there since... and stories?

but I do definitely agree authorities are getting stricter and stricter on Public Liability Insurance, which is getting harder and harder to source...

and I also know that up until a few years ago it was illegal to do any kind of busking/street performance in Singapore at all... not only unpermitted but *anything*! ...they now have a big charity busking festival each September and I presume you apply for permits... when we performed over there last December, it was quite a novelty to be doing a street performance show even though it was associated with a big shopping centre... especially with fire/drums.....

busking is wonderful for developing your ability to perform/entertain though... it's much tougher than stage performance or when people have come to watch you... you have to really keep the energy up (or at least intense enough if it's low/intimate) to constantly add interest. I learnt heaps from busking/street performance...

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
related story here.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
I went down to the harbourfront in Toronto to get a busking permit.. I missed the auditions which take place before the summer starts, and on top of that, they actually schedule you in to busk for certain events.

I like busking when its fun, I hate busking when its scheduled.. Feels more like a real job.

Sylanmember
2 posts

Posted:
Busking without a permit is completely legal here in Boulder, Colorado. Not sure if you'll ever find yourself this far south, but Pearl Street thrives on street performance. It's a huge tourist trap always filled with a myriad of performers. The only catch is that if you're using fire or knives you have to be insured and obtain a permit, BUT the permit is free as long as you're not providing a personal service such as massage, tarot reading, etc. It's called a "Special Entertainment" permit and can be obtained here:

https://www.ci.boulder.co.us/duhmd/Permits/

(just in case anyone else needs it)

Good luck. =)

I'm eccentric, that means I can do anything I want.

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
surely something like a schedule kind of defeats the purpose/essence of busking...?

Wot a purple penis.

Az abouve, So below...

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
The funny thing about the Harbourfront is that there's all these people waiting for boats or cruises or what-have you... Or eating at restaurants and looking at the water.. Bored.. No entertainment whatsoever.

I mean, I'd understand if there were too many buskers, and they had to cut down on them by regulating them.. But there's NONE.

I went there and started spinning fire to busk for a while, and everyone was so enthusiastic. Some people got up from dinner and the eating area was stuffed to the little metal fence with people watching me fire-spin. I doubt that any of them had ever seen anything like it before.

But obviously thats unacceptable to the administration people at Toronto's illustrious Harbourfront, gateway to Buffalo and nothing.

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
i'm down here in north carolina, usa...
how do you find out if a permit/whatnot is needed?

don't want to get into any unneccesary complications involving local legals....

life begins between the night and the light.