Forums > Social Chat > How long have you been Spinning?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning Poi since November, and I lit them up for the first time in January.When I wanted to play with fire happened alot earlier, I was about 3 and I saw a fire juggler/swallower/Blower. I was mesmorized. I didn't know how he could do that without getting burnt. When I went up to him to ask he said he was born with dragon skin. I believed himI always watched fire performers with AWE I always loved the idea of flirting with the raw element.But it was in my mind "thats for the professionals" ( You know the ones with dragon skin ) I went to Pennsic war in August and there I saw some performers at "The Rouge Vs. the Beer party."As I watched them perform, I thought then Why cant I do it? Its not JUST for professionals... I mean THEY had to start somewhere. When they were done I went over to introduce myself..... But forgot I was holding up my boyfriend( he was tryiing to help the rouge tackle thier foe so I had to support him)... He fell down a hill and I had to go help him get up... When I got back up the hill the fire performers were gone. It took me a while to find out what it was called so that could find it on the internet. But here I am. and spinning and loving it!~spryte~

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
the first time i saw it was a few moths ago - a coworker of mine kept his practice poi in the office and regularly spun sort of in between things...i learned to chase one night, i guess at the beginning of winter, and didn't touch poi again until he came up to my farm on MLK day and spun on fire. after he was done, he gave me one of them (i certainly didn't trust myself with two!) so i guess i sorta started backwards - fire right up front. we with a couple of other friends made poi two weekends after that, so i guess i've been spinning since the middle of january. at an hour or two of practice a night, the learning curve isn't actually so bad - which is one of the things that makes it so fun...i'm perfectly proficient, but there's soooo much i want to do to develop it: it's like, you can start right off and do well enough to feel like you're not constatnly losing, but you never really feel like you're bored cause you've learned it all....

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
I STARTED SPINNIN AROUND 18 MONTHS AGO.GOT INTRODUCED INTO A CIRCUS SKILLS CLUB, GOT INTO POI, SNAKE-BOARDING, STAFF, JUGGLING (POORLY), CONTACT. STARTED POI'ING AT PARTIES, CLUBS etc. DIDNT LIGHT UP FOR A GOOD MONTH OR TWO. WHERE I COME FROM FIRE SEEMS TO BE RESERVED FOR MORE SPECIAL OCCASIONS.

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
started sometime in the middle of february, picked up most all of the skills in a week, stopped, for a week or two [major tests and projects to work on for school], and started up again this past week to get my transitions, routines, etc. down------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey,I've been fire twirling for a little over a year, but I've had Poi for around 5 (although I ddint really do much with em for the first 3 1/2 years I had em). I've been staff twirling in Martial Arts for about 3 years...I work with comets about 30 mins to an hour every day, and do a 2 1/2 hour fire twirling session at least once a week. I also end up doing performances and other fire meets during the week and weekends...probly if you add it all up I do about 10-15 hours practice a week...I reckon thats pretty good for a guy who works 40 hours a week smileJosh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 12 March 2001).]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
I got my practise pois last dec (2000), but didnt really get into it much because i was the only one i knew, ended up finding this website and meeting up with people at the end of january and been consistently spinning since then.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Not long enough. grin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i started with staff at the start of january. i had really wanted pois but was convinced to buy a staff because it was easier. i just bought poi a week ago. i was using socks on string for 2 weeks before that.i love fire. its so mezmerizing.i ussually ignore my staff. always twirling the poi. smile

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
i also saw a fire juggler once when i was little and i thought it was absolutely magical and out of this world. i knew ppl who played with fire - but never bothered learning until about 8 weeks ago. i do it whenever i feel like it which usually ends up being at least once a day. i must admit its a good escape. and this site was great for the basics =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
I started twirling after I saw a guy twirling glowsticks at a rave in july of 2000. I learned the forward chase the first day I tried to do it. Then about a week ago when looking for toys to take to another rave I found this site. And man I've been practicing atleast an hour everyday since. I should have know there we lots more tricks but I hadn't been exposed to them. I can do most tricks now that involve twirling in front of me, a few of the direction changes are still impossible for me, but its only been a week. I havent even attempted anything behind my back yet. Even after making some tennis ball practice poi i dont want to think about how many times im gonna hit myself in the head. All in all id say that ive been doing this for a total of 3 weeks. I love it and id love to find some more people in TN that do it.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I first saw a guy spinning firechains almost 2 years ago at a rave festi. I was totally facinated, he showed me how to make some and i started spinning. For ages i just practiced with my firechains until i met a girl at Glastonbury festival who was making commets and got some off her. It was a year b4 i found this website and when i did i came on in leaps and bounds. I am now semi proffesional fire dancer/stilt walker and i design and make different styles of u.v. poi, which i sell privately and in local shops.It seems to have progressed from being my hobby to something more serious in such a short time that i am sometimes still suprised by it. Poi has made an amazing difference to my life. B4 I was a receptionist working a dead end job for a big corporation and now i am planning to drive a bus round europe all summer with other performers!! I am so much happier and more confident than i used to be. And all because of poi!! smile

Are we nearly there yet?

TheCleanermember
23 posts

Posted:
not long enough

tkerbymember
30 posts

Posted:
Started working in Windthings in Edinburgh about two years ago, a kite and juggling shop. I started picking up basic circus skills while I was working but the idea of poi seemed scary and pretty damn impossible when I watched people at Beltane so I stuck to other things. Then last year a friend taught me to fire breathe and I got a taste for paraffin.He had some torches and presumed as I worked in windthings I'd be good at swinging. They seemed a lot safer than chains so I gave it a go and somehow managed to impress everyone. We then started to stock practice poi in the shop and I soon became hooked. Then I joined a juggling club and picked up new moves and the rest is histort wink

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
About four months ago...i am picking up pretty fast. But i needed some new moves..and this site is going to help me get off-tha-hook.I want to try fire, but i think ill wait a while longer, because i dont want to set my face on fire by accident.drew------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
i started everything at different times, i started fire breathing about 6 years ago, staff about 2 or 3 years ago poi about 2 years ago and i started fire eating about1 year ago....i do other stuff too but fire stuff is my fav...------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Almost 1 year, and I'm embarrassed to say that my progress is slow. Prolly cause my other obsession snowboarding takes over in the winter and also it's just too damn cold to practice

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Thistle: thats whats its feeling like for me, after about amonth i some how got myself into performing at a doof and now we're all on the path to getting more gigs and making toys and making this a little bit more than just a hobby.I hope to see you on the road one day smile

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmm ... i think that setting your face on fire while twirling is harder than (maybe!) some ppl think (like me until i started learning). i do know of a friend who did set his on fire but the scenario was ridiculous so the effects weren't able to be minimised as much as normal. i.e. he was already in the 'written off' stage of partying and everyone else there was totally wasted. plus he had a longish fringe which was probably the prime source of flame food.i'm not saying its far from possible! (i'll write myself off next week for this! =) )but if long hair's taken care off (either shaven off or plaited and tucked away under a head wrap...or whatever.. i think if someone (reliable) is watching you then its pretty okay. i mean if you can do the moves unlit you can do them lit ... although i can see glowsticks vs my poi there would be a bit of a weight difference. so practice with the right weight first i guess ... oh yeah.. and you really need to leave it (hot chain or keyrings or bolts) on your skin for more than a split second for a more SERIOUS burn. and nerves have already kicked in by then to try and get you out of the danger of heat. idunno.. i guess im coming from the fact that i thought it would be more difficult than it turned out to be (i.e. learning). and i thought the flames would be a lot hotter than they are too =) not that im complaining..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Hey, Spryte-Check your hotmail account... Rowan was the spinner you saw at Rogues vs Beer that night (plus one guy with a rather disturbing number of bandages and one annoying blond girl who seemed determined to kill herself and the audience in a rather thinly veiled cry for attention... I hope she wasn't anyone on this board, because her behavior was inexcusable...) at Pennsic. She rocks. You can see a few pictures of her on the Thermogenesis page, as she's performing with them now. Jesse

Rowanmember
6 posts

Posted:
~spryte~ Hey!You say you saw poi at the Rogue vs. Beer party? I was actually spinning at that party! I was the gal with the black and red braids. Do you speak with me? That was a FUN party! That's really cool you started spinning, and it's nice to find that I may have been the cause of some insiparation!--Rowan--

Rowanmember
6 posts

Posted:
Jesse About said blonde girl, I didn't find out until after that party that she had only picked up a staff 3 days earlier and only lit it the day before. I was LIVID. When obvious need for attention overwelms you sense of safty (with fire!!!) and you put the lives and safety of others in danger for your need, maybe you should not set anything on fire. *sore spot*rowanThermogenesis.net

crispyxmember
53 posts

Posted:
I started doing poi last August. Shortly after I started fire eating, and just started learning staff in February. I've also been fascinated with fire performance since I was young. When I was 9 I began performing magic and continued until I was about 18, I always loved the pyrotechnic tricks. I never thought I'd have the chance to learn fire spinning/eating/breathing but when I moved to Denver I started seeing a lot of fire performers and began looking for people willing to train me.Now I've started up a troupe and lately we've stepped it up where we're practicing close to 20 hours a week, we're trying our hand at street performing at the end of the month.

How is it ever possible to feel safe and secure in a world in which everyone dies?

sprytemember
45 posts

Posted:
Hi Rowan!Alright It will be GOOD TO GETAHOLD OF YOU! Ever since I started my twirling Its "Oh You have to meet Rownan" " Rowans the Best" "You and Rowan will Get along" To Both Jesse and Rownan, I don't know who the blond girl was, But Its actually her that shattered the Idea its only Proffessionals can spin. I Hope to see you guys at warSe you later~spryte~Naimh

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
That's really cool you started spinning, and it's nice to find that I may have been the cause of some insiparation!
Thats the ultimate compliment. Someone saw you spin and made them want to learn.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Rowanmember
6 posts

Posted:
spryte-*lol* well, I wouldn't say "the best" *modest*Well, I'd like to meet you this year!*lol* Yeah, Once you see someone who is obviously not comfy or doing a good job, you start to think, hey...I can do that! Actually, for me, it took watching some AWESOME poiers at a friends bday party a few years ago. Bruce (pyrogeist) Cody (pyrophiles) and a few others. They were so beautiful out there, and it looked...well, not easy, but fun. I have been a lover of fire for a while, so I guess that helped me actually start. I thank them and Indigo for their help in actually getting me lit. --Ro

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
just under a year since i first became addicted to poi.

weavesmiley

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ive been poiering about 2 and half now.
|| || juggling || about a year (properly)
|| || Staffing and doubling about 2 years.
|| || contact (very much on and off) for about a year.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
technically......about 12 years (that includes poi, clubs, and firebreathing).

but truly honestly working at it? 3 years

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
hmm, just counted (with fingers and all!) It's been a whole 9 months for me. I'm still a newbie I guess! ^_^

~ bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Sylphidmember
2 posts

Posted:
It's been 7 years for me now,
But every year I somehow find some new tricks that start to make me feel that I'm starting all over again. I'm now Incorparating Breakdancing and capoiera into some of my poi routines, and
I've noticed over the years that every move I learn I don't actually learn:
You practice again and again, beating yourself to the point of Bleeding, badly burned, bruised, and frustrated, and then suddenly the move just happens, It's like one minute you don't have it, and then BAM you've mastered the move.
Anyoneelse find it like that?

(Shoulder rolls are always the biggest show stopper of all..

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea i know exactly how that feels, no matter how good you get there will always be moves that you missed along the way...unless you have some serious teacher and you put way to much time and effort into it.

I started fire staff when i was 8, in the islands thats normal...the people there are just gods...they spin form real early on and by the time most of them are 20 they are elite. I came home and continued staff under my grandfather, untill i blew myself up and had afew years rest. Although i still had a fair amount of different weapons training.

Then about 10yrs ago my g-friend brought some fire poi home and i went out and pretty much made a new staff that day...we've been burning hard ever since...so much so, give me afew months and ill retire...

The thing is, to me, it dont really matter how long you have been spinning, its how much you get out of it and how much your williing to put back in...there will always be elite, ill settle for being a happy average. meditate

Page: