Forums > Social Chat > what does it mean to you ?

Login/Join to Participate

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
hey kidz !
quick question for u, may use some of ur responses in a business plan I'm writing for a touring bus "the juggle bus" which is gonna cruise round the country doing workshops eventually !

so the question is : " what has juggling/swinging changed/done for you & your life ?"
personally it has given me a quite space, hope for myself as a person, shitloads of cool friends and loads of joy !

love u loads
xxx

Forever spiraling upwards towards unknown destiny.Where will it end ? Where did it start ?Why ask so many questions ?

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
some stuff that occured in my life since taking up poi (actually more to do with this site, thanks Malcom)

finally getting some exercise.
have compelling reasons to go outside for long periods of time.
meeting new people.
making/designing new/variant types of poi and tails for staffs etc.
a renewed interest in learning.
meeting really nice people in random places.

good business plan, good thread.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I have gained new happy feelings! (always a good thing)
I'm getting fit! (my arms are amazing now!
I always have protection and know how to use it...
Have met so many cool chilled yet bouncy people!
I have stuff to do when I'm bored.
I am always trying new things...
Inspiring me to get out and do shit I never dreamed of...
Being able to comunicate with someone without the need for language...
Yep, newly found interest in learning...
And finally manifesting the inner pyro within me in a semi-safe way.

Amongst other things these are the main changes I have found...
I am so much happier/lively ever since I began doing this...
Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
The juggle bus! that sounds like a fantastic idea how do I sign up ?,I hope every thing goes well for you baerie fen, such a wonderfull idea will bring joy to so many Yeah

For me it's given me more confidance in my abilities , not just in poi but in life in general.
Having poi has meant I've been exposed to more people and differemt views on life , love and every thing, which has helped me develop into (Ithink any way ) a more empathetic(sp?) person.

Relaxation
exzileration(SP???????)
facination
and alove for the art areall reasons why I use fire props,

Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
It is my unique form of expression which everyone can understand and enjoy.

For me its another way I can express my love to people in a non judgemental and enjoyable form.

Dancing is living the moment, the music and letting your body flow within the environment around you.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
It's done all the usual stuff, fitness, coordination, confidence.... but it also gives me a unique way to express myself that nobody else I know can do. It's become part of what makes me unique and allows me to express my feelings, emotions, artistic interp, etc to an audience, almost like another means of communication. It also got me in good with the club scene

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It's given me a source of expression and artistic outlet. It's made me into a more interesting person, I think. It's brought me into contact with more interesting people. It's given me an interesting skill and hobby that I have that most other people don't. It's definately made me look much cooler in the eyes of my nephews (ages 8-20). It's let me bring something to parties other than a six-pack of beer.

And it's a symbol of the fact that I am a free spirit, after all.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Spinning has opened up a new world for me. I have met so many amazing funky people with wild ideas that they are not afraid to try. My learning curve has shot up through the roof. I spend a lot more time outside with bare feet soaking up mother earths vibration. I have found a fantastic new washing powder that removes Poi marks!!! I listen to music in a different way, on a deeper level to see what kind of spin Ill get from the beats.
Most importantly Im not afraid to be me anymore. I dance and move freely with the poi and enjoy the sensation that my body experiences from feeling free I think that thats the most important thing that I have been given from spinning. And belonging to this board too of course...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I have another excuse to be a danger to the public. I have an outlet for my energy when everyone's too tired at the tail end of a bush doof. more friends, more tricks, the perception of what others may think about twirling be damned and most importantly, firetwirling will lead me to one-eyed willie's pirate cove, where I'll find trasure and kraft dinner. it has also given purpose to my backpackker plans where before it only had booze and raves.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmmm let me see what juggling and spinning has given me

My wife (well, in a roudabout sort of way)

Joy

Enlightenment

Prestige

Money

Twelve really really really silly looking costumes

4 unicycles (most in disrepair)

and most of all (well, second to the wife)...lots and lots and lots of cool friends who are all better than me at everything!!!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
hooray ur all great !
keep em coming

Forever spiraling upwards towards unknown destiny.Where will it end ? Where did it start ?Why ask so many questions ?

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
exhileration!
a strange smell......
a closer bond with my bro sparx
new friends all over the world
something i can be better at than my sister for once
a teaching medium
an equiliser
andddddddd somewhere i can go when i dont like everything else around me and i can just tune out and spin

oh, hehe and tonight it gave me flame, and now i know i truly am addicted....... ` ` `

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Well most of this has been said already,

Poi has given me a sense of well being and also a lot of confidence as I have managed to progress really well with a lot of practice. It has also helped with fitness as there is no way you can practice/perform without a lot of exercise.

Most of all I think poi has affected my life by allowing me to meet a new group of friends, I think I am yet to find a spinner that I feel I couldnt go up and say hi to even if it is the first time I have met them

Mark P

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
My first post was mainly about poi as I just started doing staff I dint really think much about what that has done for me... (yeah yeah so I'm stupid sometimes...)

Well staff:

Made my other half jelous (not always a good thing)
Made me realise that it is possible to have a natural talent at something.
Which in turn made me really and has lead me to seek a reality other than what I thought was 'in my league'...
Which opened new doors to me in all aspects of life...
A desire to smoke less joints as I have no drive to finish any moves in that condition...

And it has made me more fit than poi ever could! Damn, I like being fit!!! Just have to quit smoking cigs now
Hopefully soon I will trade cigs in for twirling and smoking joints so go ahead and add that one to the list (and pray, pray)...
Much love, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
Spinning has helped me to :
Getting over fears of public performance,
Given me another outlet for creativity and deterrent from boredom,
Allowed me to meet wonderful people that made me feel at home and loved while I've been traveling
Helped my hand-eye coordination
Let me amuse many, many children for quite a long time,
Further enforced people's ideas that I'm some weird S/M freak by the plethera of bruises on me
Scared the crap out of some of the drug addicts I used to work with
Added to the confusion my mom already feels about me
Given me a sense of accomplishment and competence when I finally get a move right
Helped me to get over "issues" about asking people for help
Most importantly its made me very, very happy for hours on end.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
The first thing I thought of was a lyric by Korn that goes:
"What does it mean to you? For me, its something I just do." And this is how I first felt about poi. I started doing them when my flatmate bought some back with her from a weekend away. I didn't get into them at first, my girlfriend did tho, and when no-one was looking, I picked 'em up and had a go. I then always did them on my own. I was so much more at ease without people watching me. I didn't think of it as an outwards performance, more of a personal toy, like a computer game or whatever. When I saw other people doing it I wasn't thinking of how good it looks, just whether I could learn the moves they were doing and do those moves for my own enjoyment.
Then I started going to workshops and also found this site and also joined a performance group and also met more and more poiers and also started juggling and also spent loads of money on equipment and also started only buying clothes if they wern't that flammable and also started thinking about how moves looked to the onlooker and all of a sudden everything seemed to revolve around poi
Which has been splendid. I've met more peoples since I started poi than ever before. It's given me a big self-confidence boost. Unlike Miss Pixie its made me smoke more weed 'cos that makes me zen It's made me stop watching the curs-ed telly, and its starting to make me money.
Performing is a funny one though, I never, ever thought I would do it when I started, but I was just so damn good (that would be that self confidence boost, must keep it in check!) that I am now doing a bit. Which is great for me 'cos I've been playing in a band for ages, but I'm the drummer, which means that I'm just at the back of the stage. Now I can run around the front like a loon and get all that built up frustration out.
So yeah, me and poi have done a lot to my life

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
all these folks saying that theyre making money from poi/staff ! where am I going wrong I aint made squat yet !
help

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Ben:
That makes no sence you are bad ass at staff and meteors, I've witnessed it first hand...

Moohaahaa: Its just staff cause weed makes me not be bothered if i'm in the DUH stage, ya know what I mean?! I have no drive to do any moves at that stage... By the way where have you been man?! Me want to see you! Remember the liquid connective?! Fun night wasnt it!

Anyways I am sorry I butted into the seemingly organized thread...

*goes and hides twidling thumbs in corner looking innocent as ever*

Much love to all, drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
try smoking just a couple of fat bucket bongs or any other suitably evil smoking device before u practice pixie ! usually turns up good results for me but u gotta get straight up after & play otherwise its sofa time !

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Well the thing is I have not really made real money from spinning yet. I have my first proper paid gig at Antiworld @ the Fridge with the Headfunk peoples. It isn't gonna make me a millionaire, but its more than I got paid for any drumming gig I did.
Anyway Ben, did you not get into Glastonbury as a performer? It's not making the money in your hand, but it is a nice bonus. Having to shell out for Glasters this year was harsh. It's fair enough 'cos it was probably the greatest festival I've had, but £100 is a lot!

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

baerie fenmember
76 posts

Posted:
true enough !
but yah know the odd million quid would be nice !