Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Ok this is a bit of a moan but I need to get it off my chest because its really made me cross.
I had the best weekend at the Splendour in the Grass festival... Lots of beautiful people all playing with twirling objects and lots of new toys to try out... Having a lot of fun playing on the juggling stall that I was working at, until Sunday night when some braindead wanker puts something into my drink and I go off into drugland...now dont get me wrong I have nothing against drugs... people do them for their own reasons and that is fine with me because that is their choice, but what pissed me off so much is that the choice to do the drug was taken away from me and I had an experiecnce that was forced upon me ... I used to do a fair amount of drugs so I accept and acknowledge that they can have a relaxing effect or an exciting effect that some people can enjoy, but I have chosen not to take drugs anymore because I have had brain surgery and the rush that some chemicals can give up your spinal cord can have a really damaging effect on me. Like permenant brain damage!
I started to freak out a little because it has been so long since I have taken any kind of drug that my body wasnt used to the feeling and I was a bit freaked out about the whole thing... until I reminded myself that the more I freaked out the worse it would become, so I tried to relax and just go with it a bit...So I went and watched the John Butler Trio who played like angels (everything was extremly beautiful by now, the crowd, the band, the crushed can on the ground ) and just walked around with my very good freind who became my saving grace by the end of the night...I felt an amazing urge to twirl by now so I grabbed the glo poi and just cut sick...NEVER have I twirled like that in my life!!! I felt ten foot tall and bullet proof with the poi in my hand and I got applause when I finished which was kinda nice..Then my kidneys started to cain big time and I kinda blacked out going for water and kinda came to with my friend grabbing me as I started to fall... bloody hell wasnt a nice experince towards the end...
What I dont get is why somebody would even bother to slip their drugs into someone elses drink, espically when they dont know their medical history, or even whether or not they are already on drugs, for all they know they could be mixing some kinda lethal drug cocktail with whatevers alreay in that other persons system!!! OOHHH made me pretty cross... espically since I feel like shit now and feel really fuzzy in the head. Im just thankful that there was a really good friend with me to look after me as well..
Just thought Id sheare this with you guys just to say be careful with your drinks and stuff... yeah I know thsat there would be some poeople out there who would be cheering if they got slipped something and all the more power to them, but I was just really upset that my clarity was taken from me by someone else, and that wasnt my choice...GRRRR thanks I feel better now

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
oh god that is horrible!!
ive had a similar experiance. the only difference was it was intended for.. well.. to sugar coat the nasty fourletter "r" word for the site "sexual harm"
luckily i came around in time to deliver a slow motion groggy punch to the jaw and call my dad.
and the sick thing was i never set my drink down once! and it was iced tea with no alchi involved..

some people are just horrible..
what is really scary is im deathly allergic to most basic groups of antibiotics and god only knows what was in what the guy gave me..

oh damn now im angry

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
sorcha hun, I am so thankful that you are safe and managed to get away, big hugs to you sweetie... there has been some hard core occurances of rohipnol (sp) been put in peoples drinks in brissie lately... you need to be so careful now days...My drink was a bourbon so there was alkie-hole involved but it was only my first for the night so there was no way that I was drunk either.. Its really good that the drug companys are getting aware now and putting a dye into the pills that they are producing so that you can see the drink change colour if somethings added to it...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
grrr what friggan cowards, do you guys remember who they were? I'd get the police to nick 'em before someone else get tainted by their slime. That's crap to hear it happen to ya birthday celebration too. ya must have good mates to get you through that - camping festivals awesome places to bond, especially when your mates are that supportive.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Unfortunalty Bender I didnt get to nab them although we have a fair idea of who it was. Im sure Karma is looking for them as we speak...lol...Im sooo thankful to my friends for looking after me. If it wasnt for them I would have FREAKED out.... still I had a lot of fun before that though, so I wouldnt write off the whole weekend... just going to put it down as a learning experience.
The whole atmosphere at the campsite was fantastic though. People running around playing with fire, bonding over a common element, expressing a love of the music and feeling free was pretty much a running theme. I can see why you love Rainbow Serpent camp so much...

6,978 posts

Posted:
I agree that karma will catch up with that farker as it does with all of us, but if it's all the same, they should be stopped. I believe in karmic justice quite strongly (karma and compassion serve as the centre of my beliefs) I dun want to sound too adamant, but if it's not too inconvenient ya should file a report or leave a description or something, just so blue heelers has an eye out. If there is another 'assault' (which it clearly was) the victim next time may not be lucky enough to have mates to pull them thru. I know if i was there, I'd get concert security faster than you can say 'that-guy-in-the-raincoat' I understand that everyone might be implicated in drug charges, but the rohipnol situation is a bloody disgrace and is so not on. Makes me wonder how badly it coulda turned out and this post would be much darker. check ya photos for the bastard i guess.
On a lighter note, I always go camping with me best mates and it's always a blast. I consider city dwelling to be a shitty holiday away from the bush. It's like my body awakening in the bush! My hearing is really good in the country and i have this real goofy grin the whole trip My mate Carmen keeps telling me stories of the giant luverly hippy northwood and the massive nu years firefest they hold there - a bit pricy tho!
well, it be lunchtime.. glad 2 hear ur alrighty then..

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Tis a good idea Bender. I have decided to take your advise and at least make a statement about it so that next year the drinks might be served in a clear plastic cup or something instead of cans where its difficult to see what your drinking. Or at least do SOMETHING. Im at a bit of a loss.
I have an idea who it is that spiked the drink so I will do a little bit of dectective work. Might be hard to get a confession but Ill see what I can do...I have my ways ( poi to the nether regions) Im thankful that the universe was guiding me to safety that night and you have really helped me realise that its my responsability to help stop it from happening again. Thanks.
BTW your friend Carmen? Is she a brisbanite contact juggler?

[ 23 July 2002, 16:39: Message edited by: Valura ]

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
i didnt know the guy that did that to me...
he just showed up to the party with some friends of the guy that threw it..

i wouldnt know it if i ever saw him again as it was dark and i was a little messed up.. it was scary to say the least.
im just glad everything turned out ok..
i personally think peopl who have to do thing like that to others for whatever reason are cowards and think very little of themselves not to mention other people.. its kinda a sad affair really..

Send food, not bombs.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
In my opinion, intentionally spiking someone's food or drink with drugs is equivalent to rape. You are violating that part of a person which is most sacred; their mind.

I *think* I might have been spiked with Ecstasy once, but I can't figure out who could have done it, so I think that I just was in a really good mood that night. But if I ever found out that someone had, I would be SO pissed, I might even file criminal charges.

*I* make the decision whether or not to use a drug. *I* know my body, *I* know what prescription drugs I'm on, *I* know my medical history, and *I* alone get to make that decision!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I completly agree with what your saying Mike... I felt like my personal power of choice had been completly stripped away from me and I didnt like the feeling of not being in control of my own body.
I honestly feel like I have been violated and it has left me quite angry today because I have been so mentally blah and physically tired that I didnt even want to twirl.And thats not like me. I twirl everyday. EVERYDAY. But not today
Well I have definatly learnt a lesson

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
GGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

That's Horrible! What would make someone do that?

Glad you're ok.... and hope you're feeling heaps better soon

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
And Valura, here's an idea. Take a urine sample NOW and put it in the fridge (I know it's gross, but hear me out). If this doesn't get better in a few days, you can go to the doctor with the sample and explain what happened and have them test the sample to see what you were dosed with (unless you're pretty sure you already know what it was).

I'm figuring that it was probably tasteless and odorless, so it was probably either LSD or GHB. E tastes nasty, but if they had it pretty pure and your drink was full of flavor, it might have covered the taste.

-Mike

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Yup thats a really good idea Mike, done deal. My friend reckons that there is the possibility of MDMA actually being the nasty little bugger....
Thank you so much guys Im thankful that I belong to such a great board with people that have their heads in such great spaces...
Muah to you all. I apprectiate your support.

6,978 posts

Posted:
great idea, mikey! really insightful - gawd forbid that she need to use it tho
Valura, me mate Carmen is now living in Brunswick, Vic and twirls poi - do you remember a carmen that was generous and nurturing (she 'mothers' her mates it's awesome!)
watch a twirling Vid, Valura, and the comedown will comedown (when the spirit of twirling enchants you in ya dreams, it's in a place where comedowns can't affect ya! woot! - i day and night dream it alla time ... too... damn.... obsessed )
/pulls mouse from outta computer and does a TTN move

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys and Gals,

This is a thread that has really hit me hard, I believe that it is everyones personal choice to indulge in whatever they see fit but if you administer any kind of drug (even alcohol) to someone without their consent then that is a huge violation of their life.

I am very pleased that there have been friends present to help you through these distressing times as I know it is a situation I would not like to find myself in and would be heavily reliant on friends to help me out.

May Karma run its course,

Mark P

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I had a few more thoughts on the drug test thing.

If it's LSD, MDMA, or Rohipnol, a standard urine screen won't catch it. They have to be looking for it. So make sure to mention that to them. Psilocybin/psilocin is also a possible, but unlikely suspect because it's almost never synthesized and it takes a pretty large dose to hit someone with it.

Amphetamines (speed, meth, crystal, etc.), opioids (heroin, morphine, etc.), PCP, cannabinoids (I doubt they would have done that), cocaine (which doesn't do much when eaten, but still might be a possible culprit), barbiturates (downers, yellows, reds, etc.), and benzodiazapenes (Valium, Ativan, etc.) are all tested for in standard urine screens.

GHB is a chemical naturally produced by the body and broken down into simple chemicals that are normally in the urine. Thus, much like alcohol, once the effects of GHB wear off, there is no detectable GHB in the blood or urine.

How ya feeling?

-Mike

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
wow thanks Mike Im really grateful about the amount of thought that you have put into this and it makes me feel really good... thank you hey.
Im feeling a lot better today than I was yesterday and my head has actually stopped feeling a bit fuzzy...Im gonna go to the drs and get checked out anyway because my headaches are kinda bad since Sunday and I just wanna make sure that everything is ok upstairs...I had Arnold Chairi Malformation and had decompression surgery on my brain about two years ago so I make sure that the equipment upstairs is always working as well as I can possibly get it to
I actually have routine bloods coming up in a few days so I might get them to check out for any drugs while Im at it...BTW have since found out that one of my other friends was also spiked at splendor.... not a good thing...
lots of love to you Mike.Thank you

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
You guys have been fantastic!!!! Its so good to know that there is so much support on this site for our fellow HOP's. I really needed a bit of support and you have all offered advice and words of wisedom which has really shown what a special place this is... Im proud to belong to a site where we all think of each other and honestly care about what happens in our lives. MUCH love and light to you all. I am deeply grateful for your help.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
From Cecil Textbook of Internal Medicine, 21st. Ed.

quote:
Chiari II malformations (sometimes called Arnold-Chiari malformations) are characterized by caudal elongation of the cerebellum and lower brain stem through the foramen magnum. Open spinal dysraphism (myelomeningocele) and hydrocephalus are almost always present. Brain stem dysfunction may develop secondary to intrinsic malformation or compression of neural structures at the C1 level. Other brain anomalies are common, in particular, anomalies of the corpus callosum and gray matter heterotopia. Treatment is surgical and aimed at repair of the myelomeningocele, relief of hydrocephalus, and occasionally, cervical bony decompression. The prognosis is dependent on the level (better for sacral, worse for thoracic) and extent of the myelomeningocele and on the severity of associated brain anomalies.
From Behrman: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 16th ed

quote:
Chiari malformation consists of two major subgroups, Type I typically produces symptoms during adolescence or adult life and is usually not associated with hydrocephalus. Patients complain of recurrent headache, neck pain, urinary frequency, and progressive lower extremity spasticity. The deformity consists of displacement of the cerebellar tonsils into the cervical canal. Although the pathogenesis is unknown, the prevailing theory suggests that obstruction of the caudal portion of the fourth ventricle during fetal development is responsible. The type II Chiari malformation is characterized by progressive hydrocephalus and a myelomeningocele. This lesion represents an anomaly of the hindbrain, probably due to a failure of pontine flexure during embryogenesis, and results in elongation of the fourth ventricle and kinking of the brain stem, with displacement of the inferior vermis, pons, and medulla into the cervical canal (Fig. 601-6) . Approximately 10% of type II malformations produce symptoms during infancy consisting of stridor, weak cry, and apnea, which may be relieved by shunting or by posterior fossa decompression. A more indolent form consists of abnormalities of gait, spasticity, and increasing incoordination during childhood. Plain skull radiographs show a small posterior fossa and a widened cervical canal. CT scanning with contrast and MRI display the cerebellar tonsils protruding downward into the cervical canal and the hindbrain abnormalities. The anomaly is treated by surgical decompression.
Everybody get that?

My guess is that if you're up and spinning poi and frolicking in the park, you had a mild case and an excellent prognosis.

-Mike

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
LOL yeah well done Mike! I didnt even understand that and thats what happened to me!!!! Actually I didnt have a mild case. I had herniation of the tonsils and the surgeon actually expressed concern at the fact that it had progressed to the point that it had... They found that the pressure on my brain had become so great that if they hadn't have operated when they did I would have passed away in about three months.
I had developed what I called a "funny turn" where I couldnt lift my head and my breathing had become spasmotic and had also developed sleep aponea (both obstruvtive and obtuse) and was stopping breathing about once every minute every night!!! I had the worst case that they had ever seen in QLD
So now I have part of my leg in my brain where they had to patch the bag of my brain to make sure I had enough brain room (!) and a nice scar right down the back of my neck where they cracked me head open
( I tell people in australia that when I moved from Tasmania they actually removed my second head)
To be honest its the best thing that ever happened to me... I understand that life and health isnt something to disregard as something that is always there. I find life is now a joy to be cherished and lifed to its fullest every day...
After the surgery when I woke up I found that something about me had changed and that when I was looking at the people around the intensive care ward I could 'see' colours around them that seemed to move with them, since then I have become quite intutive and have quite a few intense spiritual things happen to me on a regular basis...I have since become a spiritual healer and teacher around the brisbane and coastal areas, travelling to help anyone that I can... I understand now that compassion and empathy are the key to all that is. To feel and to love are experiences that have no limitations and because I know now that we are not here for a long time, but a beautiful time, I take every day as the most amazing thing that has happened to me yet... I suppose I have had what people call a 'life changing experince' and I am thankful for the physical suffering that I went through at that stage for the lessons that I have learnt from it...and the person that I have become because of it

6,978 posts

Posted:
Valura, it is a magnificent gift you have that you can turn adversity into a positive force in your life! many times i have reflected upon the irony: is it possible to have a near life experience? i.e. to sincerely value one's life as you do without the hardship? I try to examine my own i the light of that near-life concept, and barring the hardship that i was too young to remember, I'd say I've been spared the almost obligatory tragedy associated with valuing your life, valura!
maybe I've seen American Beauty too much...

about the sadness and worry caused by the spiking, ... all's well that ends well, heya?
(pssst ima going to Splendour next year, so yas better bring ya toys n skillz in a year's time!!)

[ 25 July 2002, 11:40: Message edited by: Bender_the_Offender ]

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Bender, that is such an amazing thinking point.
For a person to have had their life challenged and to have regained it, teaches them to honour it all the more because they gain an insight as to the awesome experience that they came so close to loosing. But is it possible for a person to have the clarity and understanding of the magnatude of life and value it so, with out having experienced the hardships associated with parts of the growth?
WOW... I believe that it is definatly possible and it would take a highly empowered person with a clear connection to the universe to begin to understand the implications of honouring the life force, for what it truely stands for. Just the fact that you live your life the way that you do Bender and have bought up such a thought provoking, powerful point says to me that you have reached that level. I feel that you truley honour your life, and the gifts you have to share with everyone around you.
I've said it before and I'll say it agian. Your mind is a beautiful place Bender.
As for Splendour next year? BRING IT ON....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One word, Valura: wow.

-Mike

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Why for you wow at me MikeGee?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Valura:
Why for you wow at me MikeGee?
Because you got given what some might consider a horrible disease, a life-long handicap.

And you embrace it. You found something it in that few people ever find in their lives. I look forward to working with patients like you.

-Mike

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Oh thanks Mike... thats sweet... the biggest thing I took from it is, pain is a lesson..
I wish all my doctors had of listened the way that you will to your patients

6,978 posts

Posted:
there is another important consideration in this thread: turning adversity into positivity in life.
many people don't believe in karma justice, that all our gains equal our drains, that life is shitty.
i believe that the issue is in the perception of what is 'positive' in our lives, and what is not. people won't believe in karma justice if their moral vision is clouded by negativity. with Awareness, the truth can be seen, that it's all good in the end, and to quote Con the fruiterer "Coupla days, Bewdiful!" you'll reach peace of mind when ya realise that shouldn't worry too much about karma justice. a life of right action will leave you nothing to fear of your own consequences, and the external factors in life (natural disasters, illness, mongrels spiking drinks) we have no control over, and should be treated thus.

because we percieve something to be bad today, does not mean it can be bad tomorrow - our perception changes, but their underlying karmic nature does not. With the moral truth of Awareness, you see the true value of things - take past realtionships. you percieve them to be positive karma when you're courting, and when you're walking the same path as your lover, but if/when it's over, our fickle natures and emotionally clouded natures shift the peception to the relationship being negative karma. Hence it is difficult to judge the balance when subtle negativity (eg. lust, jealousy, britney) clouds the vision. Personally in that regard, I am not a detached person, but i will never be so naive as i once was .

it's all good if yoou allow it!
the point being that Valura has applied incredible presence of mind in transforming that illness into strength - to shift her perception of bad karma to positive, transformative effect on her life. She's an example of how metal Awareness is not just merely 'peering internally' but a powerful positive influence in life. If you believe in that truth, then it seeps into your decisionmaking in life - life choices will be unbiased with greed, selfishness etc cos deep deep down, you know that everything has a price in karma. It is easy to be humble when Awareness strips you of the constant pressure to impress others, to gain materially alla time. many do not understand that no one can escape karma!
the pendulum of karma swings both ways, equally.
Just don't mention Ronny Biggs

oh yeah, and how good is John Butler Trio!?

and Mikey, I never had a doc that had an open ear, a herbal lung and paraffin hands!

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
yeah mikey.. iswear your gonna be the only docter thats goin gto understand the phrase "i accidently swallowed a mouth full of kerosene"
and not think the person was nessesarrily suicidal
or.. "well there was this fire work that wouldnt go off y'see and....."

Send food, not bombs.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
oh yeah baby how good are the J.B.T? I was going spastic...hes just soooo wonderful sighs and eyes glaze over with wanting

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear about your incident Valura. As new ruler of the world I will have my dark magicians find the culprit and *drum roll* Tar and feather the bugger and make him dance like a chicken and he will only be able to live off of the drug that he slipped you and will never know reality for the rest of his tar covered life.

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Bram, I have a better idea. The guy who spiked our friend will be sentenced to a life of watching Lifetime TV (for the unAmerican of you, Lifetime TV is "TV for Women"...back-to-back chick flicks).

As for the rest of you...gee, no pressure or anything! Not only do I have to get through medical school, but I have to maintain my humanity, my sense of humor, and my understanding that people out there are doing crazy things?

It is unlikely that I will ever see a patient who has suffered a health consequence of spinning fire since my only emergency medicine experience is likely to be at Uof Michigan where there aren't many firefolks.

However, imagine the scene:

Patient: "Doctor, I got this really bad burn."
Doctor: "Let's have a look...how did it happen?"
P:
D: "And where was your safety during this?"
P: "Ehm...safety?"
D: "Yes, the person with the bucket of water, wet towel and fire extinghuisher?"
P: "Well, I...uh...didn't really have one."
D: "And that's why you have a really bad second-degree burn instead of a single blister. No more fire spinning until this heals. And for Pete's sake, have a safety next time. Also, a good fire spinner knows exactly what he's going to be doing in the next three seconds. --Here. Hold this-- And you never do a move with fire that you haven't done dry until you've got it down."
P: "Ok."
D: "Now, here is some antibiotic cream. Change the dressing once a day and put on new cream. Cover that arm in a plastic bag when you take a shower."
D: "Now, when you heal, this is my home phone. Give me a call and we'll spin together sometime."
P: "You spin fire?"
D: "Well, yes. You don't think they taught us about fire spinning safety in medical school, did you?"

And the patient walks away scratching his head.

-Mike

Page: